Boris Becker

Comments

• MattFalle said:

He’ll probably squander it in a few months… whereas it would last me 20 years… such a shame that money ends up in the wrong hands…

why is it the wrong hands?
    Because it won’t be life changing, he probably won’t even notice it… whereas I ….
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

He’ll probably squander it in a few months… whereas it would last me 20 years… such a shame that money ends up in the wrong hands…

Because it won’t be life changing, he probably won’t even notice it… whereas I ….
    but you haven't explined why you think he'll squander it and that its a shame he's getting it
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/elon-musk-reveals-how-he-lost-13-kg-says-he-doesnt-eat-tasty-food-6404137.html
    Elon Musk has lost 30lbs, proving buying twitter helps you lose weight too.
  • You would think those workaholics don’t have time to get fat… but clearly they do
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Are they both the before pictures.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Maybe it's the nervous fretting about what a plonker he has been doing the twatter purchase. Or maybe he is getting more finger exercise on his phone.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    He still looks a fat faced fu(ker.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    edited December 2022
    MattFalle said:

You lend someone a sizeable mount of cash.
    He defaults.
    You go to court to recover funds.
    You win.
    Debtor declares bankruptcy
    He then hides assets illegally which reduces the amount of recovered funds
    He gets charged, tried and convicted after pleading not guilty even though he now admits he was.
    Gets paid out for his story due to being convicted of a crime

You might consider if you were a lender of money, the fee for the interview is in the wrong hands.

He’s a disaster magnet. He will be paying out for the rest of his life because of his nature and personality.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • MattFalle
    slowmart said:

MattFalle said:

He defaults.
    You win.
    He gets charged, tried and convicted after pleading not guilty even though he now admits he was.

You might consider if you were a lender of money is in the wrong hands.

He’s a disaster magnet. He will be paying out for the rest of his life because of his nature and personality.
    no, thats not what Ugo is saying.

he is saying that its wrong Becker got the money for being interviewed but we don't know why its wrong.
  • MattFalle said:

slowmart said:

MattFalle said:

He defaults.
    You win.

he is saying that its wrong Becker got the money for being interviewed but we don't know why its wrong.
    I basically implied what he said... Becker will pocket the money and waste it within a few months... that money will not bring any particularly joy to the recipient... it is sad... I'm also surprised he got paid so much... I mean, he's not exactly a top celebrity in today's world. He won big over 30 years ago and since then he's done nothing noteworthy, other than commentating Wimbledon... ask someone in their teens or 20s and they don't know who the bloody hell he is.
    How many followers does he have?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159

...he's not exactly a top celebrity in today's world. He won big over 30 years ago and since then he's done nothing noteworthy, other than commentating Wimbledon...

Erm, there was the waitress, the broom cupboard and the paternity suit...
  • orraloon said:

...he's not exactly a top celebrity in today's world. He won big over 30 years ago and since then he's done nothing noteworthy, other than commentating Wimbledon...

Erm, there was the waitress, the broom cupboard and the paternity suit...
    Who gives a monkey... the point is that you pay good money to get an interview which in turn can generate good money... sales, revenue by advertising etc.

If (say) Channel 4 was to air Boris Becker exclusive interview, who would go out of their way to watch it, over the latest BBC drama? Is Lidl going to pay extra for their adverts, as opposed to having them aired during the latest episode of the Supervet?

It seems to me he did very well to get £500K out of his fading celebrity status.

I suppose it's the same for Oscar Pistorius, maybe 8 years ago an interview would be worth good money, but now? Who even remembers him?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001
    edited December 2022
    Agree to an extent but for anyone over 50 he is still a big name and there is something fascinating about someone who seemed to have it all but who can't help pressing the self destruct button.

I mean yeah I was still surprised he was worth £500k but I don't know the going rate for these things. I guess there's not a lot of additional expense whereas what's a 1 hour drama cost ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I wonder if Gazza has already thought of monetising his self destructive attitude?
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

slowmart said:

MattFalle said:

He defaults.
    You win.

I basically implied what he said... Becker will pocket the money and waste it within a few months... that money will not bring any particularly joy to the recipient... it is sad... I'm also surprised he got paid so much... I mean, he's not exactly a top celebrity in today's world. He won big over 30 years ago and since then he's done nothing noteworthy, other than commentating Wimbledon... ask someone in their teens or 20s and they don't know who the bloody hell he is.
    How many followers does he have?
    errr, seriously?

695,000 followers on Twitter, no idea what Insta or F'book etc would be but lets guess roughly the same.

25 titles as Djokovic's coach

International pundit

Lets say he's quite well known. In fact, we'll agree that more people in their teens know who he is over, say, Egan Bernal. Or Mrckx.

Only equiv. cyclist is probs Lance amongst the general public.
  • MattFalle
    I doubt he'll waste it. He'll spend it like he wants to, the same you or I would.
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022

I wonder if Gazza has already thought of monetising his self destructive attitude?

No, never. No. No, no, no, never. no.
  • MattFalle
    oh.

• For the record, nobody gives Eddy Merckx 500k for an interview… not long ago some big clubs managed to hire him for their awards night… go figure
  • MattFalle

For the record, nobody gives Eddy Merckx 500k for an interview… not long ago some big clubs managed to hire him for their awards night… go figure

doesn't this speak for itself in how big Becker actually is?
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657

For the record, nobody gives Eddy Merckx 500k for an interview… not long ago some big clubs managed to hire him for their awards night… go figure

Same reason the TdF gets zero coverage in UK while Wimbledon is wall to wall...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    ddraver said:

Not true. Various Channels show highlights every year and it is in mainstream media if a Brit is doing well.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 140

He hasn't done time in the pokey though.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Not true. Various Channels show highlights every year and it is in mainstream media if a Brit is doing well.
    Sorry, various?

You mean one terrestrial channel that makes more off of forgotten 70s police shows?

vs

wall to wall Wimbledon over two main channels?

No surprise a BB interview costs a lot of cash
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Sorry, various?

You mean one terrestrial channel that makes more off of forgotten 70s police shows?

vs

You are arguing with people who remember when it went from zero coverage to a daily highlights package.

Being in a position when you can flick between channels to avoid commentator is not zero coverage.

Brits are weird that they watch sporting events held in Britain but don’t watch the equivalent events when played abroad
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    edited December 2022
    ddraver said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Sorry, various?

vs

You used the word “zero” and I have seen highlights on more than one terrestrial station.
    Type what you mean and mean what you type.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver said:

But the interview was paid by a German broadcaster…
  • Banned from visiting the UK for 10 years… so I guess his Wimbledon connection is over… there is probably the inevitable autobio still to milk
  • MattFalle

Banned from visiting the UK for 10 years… so I guess his Wimbledon connection is over… there is probably the inevitable autobio still to milk

an the aussie open
    and france
    and the US
    Not to mention commenting and commentating onbit from outside the Uk
    and.... and.... and.....

why would his Wimbledon connection be over?...... confused......

re autobio - milk. Yeah, like everyone rlse. Can't be duller than the dirge generated by 98% of dports people - at least he's got some stories.

But don't worry - 18 months all this will be forgotten.... Just remember Lee Bowyer and Jonathon Woodgate.