The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,767

Just looked at the number of vehicles licenced in the UK for 1994 vs 2022.

The number of cars has gone up from 21 million to 35 million.

And that's despite car sales falling from 1.9 million in 1994 to 1.6 million last year. Car sales peaked in 2016 at 2.7 million. The increase in car registrations is due to older cars remaining on the road a lot longer. Old cars are cheap, and many households have several cars. Many of the houses on the road where I live have paved their front gardens and have 2 or 3 cars parked on it, and they still have another car parked on the road/grass verge, and it isn't a particularly affluent area.
    there is an obvious solution to that, which is to tax very heavily any second car one owns. Household of 2 licences… 3 cars? Tax the third one 10 times over and they will sell it… another no brainer
    What problem is that solving? I'm not massively concerned about cars that are parked up on someone's drive and not being driven.
    me neither, but roadside parking is a problem in less well off areas
    If that's the problem, a resident parking scheme does the job.
  • kingstongraham
    Light goods vehicles up by 141% in the same period, which is an extra 3 million vehicles on top.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

And that's despite car sales falling from 1.9 million in 1994 to 1.6 million last year. Car sales peaked in 2016 at 2.7 million. The increase in car registrations is due to older cars remaining on the road a lot longer. Old cars are cheap, and many households have several cars. Many of the houses on the road where I live have paved their front gardens and have 2 or 3 cars parked on it, and they still have another car parked on the road/grass verge, and it isn't a particularly affluent area.
    there is an obvious solution to that, which is to tax very heavily any second car one owns. Household of 2 licences… 3 cars? Tax the third one 10 times over and they will sell it… another no brainer
    What problem is that solving? I'm not massively concerned about cars that are parked up on someone's drive and not being driven.
    me neither, but roadside parking is a problem in less well off areas
    If that's the problem, a resident parking scheme does the job.
    but it needs policing… it might end up costing to the council. Besides, getting rid of unnecessary cars is always a good exercise, just like getting rid of any redundant crap

left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,708
    Since 2000, car registrations have gone up about 18%. Population has risen 19% in the same period, and I bet the rise in over 17s exceeds that by some margin.

Suggests to me that per capita adult car ownership has already peaked.

We just need to stop letting more people into the UK. Which means, of course, stopping all the channel crossings. #torylogic
  • kingstongraham
    edited March 2023

Since 2000, car registrations have gone up about 18%. Population has risen 19% in the same period, and I bet the rise in over 17s exceeds that by some margin.

We just need to stop letting more people into the UK. Which means, of course, stopping all the channel crossings. #torylogic

Furthermore, the road length in Britain has not kept pace with the increase in population, having only risen by 2% since 2000.

The solution is obviously more roads or deportations.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

since we can no longer export pensioners to France and import younger highly educated workers for the EU, I guess the only solution is to close the ports and get those cannons out again

left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163

One of Rick's concerns seemed to be the space cars take up.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross said:

Traffic is a geometrical problem.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,673

Furthermore, the road length in Britain has not kept pace with the increase in population, having only risen by 2% since 2000.

The solution is obviously more roads or deportations.

I propose that an increase in road length in Britain is achieved by building the land out from Lands End and John O Groats to enable longer roads. This will of course mean and extra day or two for LEJOGers. Best get your rides in soon. But hey if it's anything like HS2 by the time it's built we'll all be dead or too old to ride.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    I was always intrigued by the number of cars trucks there are in Canadian towns that have no road access. It was practically compulsory to have one if there was as much as 1km of roads in totals. Some people even had them in places with no roads at all - presumably to shuffle things around their own yards.
  • rick_chasey

You ought to be. Waste of real estate. We all have to live further out from places we want to be, or we can't have the greenery we want.

• Pross

Pross said:

I have no idea what that means and have worked 30 odd years in a highway and traffic environment.
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

What proportion of the area of the UK land mass is taken up by cars?
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023

Pross said:

I mean, we all know and understand this image;

Traffic is a problem about space and the shape and size of how we get around.
  • kingstongraham

You ought to be. Waste of real estate. We all have to live further out from places we want to be, or we can't have the greenery we want.

If that's what people want to use their property for, it's not my concern. I think it's weird they wouldn't rather have a garden or a basketball hoop, but not my problem.

If it's on the road, then it starts to become my problem.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,979
    Ricktopia, with green spaces.
    No thanks.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Congestion on roads is caused by junctions not lack of road space. Away from junction the thing that causes a delay is some sort of obstruction along the lines of a collision or breakdown.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    pblakeney said:

No thanks.

That's where we're all headed, right? That is where all the trends point to. So you've got to build something around that, rather than just decry that you don't like it and pretend it's not happening already.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/trend-deck-2021-urbanisation/trend-deck-2021-urbanisation

• kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Congestion on roads is caused by junctions not lack of road space. Away from junction the thing that causes a delay is some sort of obstruction along the lines of a collision or breakdown.

Or cars parked on the road making it too narrow for two modern cars to pass each other.
  • kingstongraham

Pross said:

Or cars parked on the road making it too narrow for two modern cars to pass each other.
    Or a school.
  • First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

No thanks.

That's where we're all headed, right? That is where all the trends point to. So you've got to build something around that, rather than just decry that you don't like it and pretend it's not happening already.
    Calling rjs to the thread - we need someone qualifies to explain why building up isn't more resource efficient. RC won't believe anyone else.
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

I mean, we all know and understand this image;

Traffic is a problem about space and the shape and size of how we get around.
    No, seriously? Are cars really wider than people? So glad you explained that for us.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023

pblakeney said:

No thanks.

Calling rjs to the thread - we need someone qualifies to explain why building up isn't more resource efficient. RC won't believe anyone else.
    I mean, it is literally more land efficient, for starters. Is Los Angeles your ideal city or something?
  • Pross

Pross said:

To an extent, that would come down to an obstruction. Although you can also argue it keeps vehicle speeds low in an urban environment. The bigger problem is that many drivers feel causing such inconvenience to motorists is a bad thing and it is better to park partially, or even fully, on the footway instead even when this often still means two cars can't pass.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

You will get "phantom" james, i.e. jams of no particular cause, once you reach a critical mass of cars.

https://news.mit.edu/2009/traffic-0609

I guess I was the only one here who watched the Royal Society Christmas lectures on geometry and traffic then.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Pross said:

To an extent, that would come down to an obstruction. Although you can also argue it keeps vehicle speeds low in an urban environment. The bigger problem is that many drivers feel causing such inconvenience to motorists is a bad thing and it is better to park partially, or even fully, on the footway instead even when this often still means two cars can't pass.
    It is not an obstruction in the manner of a collision or breakdown, it is just the way urban roads work.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    edited March 2023
    Pross said:

Pedestrians are able to pass each other at "junctions" without so much of a delay though.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023

Pross said:

Pross said:

It is not an obstruction in the manner of a collision or breakdown, it is just the way urban roads work.
    To have your car parked on your drive, the house/street needs to have been designed less densely than otherwise to accommodate the space for the cars, thus being space inefficient. That all adds up.

Clearly you can have a basement garage for example, but then again, that's a flat or a house that otherwise is given away to vehicles.

Space is a premium where a lot of people live and it will continue to become more sought after as the urbanisation continues.
  • First.Aspect
    edited March 2023

pblakeney said:

No thanks.

I mean, it is literally more land efficient, for starters. Is Los Angeles your ideal city or something?
    Here is a simple Google search for you.

Once you've run out of energy to rubbish the articles (I estimate about half way down page 3), get back to me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=are+skyscrapers+more+space+efficient&oq=are+skyscrapers+more+space+efficient&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i546l3j0i30i546.25774j0j4&client=ms-android-ee-uk-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8