The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Maybe they're dressing as Khan, given his political career is in danger of extinction as a result of the ULEZ expansion?

Lol.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/title/Mayor_of_London?content=surveys

It seems Uxbridge was an aberration and we're fine with the ULEZ expansion.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,870
    Stevo_666 said:

Maybe they're dressing as Khan, given his political career is in danger of extinction as a result of the ULEZ expansion?

Is there a serious opposition this time? I haven't followed it at all apart from seeing the Tory candidate getting a bit of grief for some dodgy tweets
  • rjsterry
    monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

Is there a serious opposition this time? I haven't followed it at all apart from seeing the Tory candidate getting a bit of grief for some dodgy tweets
    Khan is polling double the Conservative candidate since the ULEZ expansion.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533
    pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

"Perfect travel conditions in central London, you've got tubes you've got trains you've got........ we simply don't have that out here, so people are absolutely compelled to use their cars"

*Camera cuts to bus going past*

:D

My MIL, mrs Brexit daily Mail, who cannot drive or cycle following a stroke, refuses on principal to take the bus as it’s for “labour voters”.

Honestly, she would rather be entirely reliant on lifts from people.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,557
    monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

There certainly seemed to be. Which Khan ignored because he thought that he was right and everyone else was wrong.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

"Perfect travel conditions in central London, you've got tubes you've got trains you've got........ we simply don't have that out here, so people are absolutely compelled to use their cars"

My MIL, mrs Brexit daily Mail, who cannot drive or cycle following a stroke, refuses on principal to take the bus as it’s for “labour voters”.

:)

Maybe more demographics than voting intentions, but I think your MIL may be onto something.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

There certainly seemed to be. Which Khan ignored because he thought that he was right and everyone else was wrong.
    And then all of a sudden it vanished. Amazing. Where have they all gone??🤔
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not sure that it has gone. Let's see come mayoral election time.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

Are you just pretending you haven't seen the polling?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not looked tbh. Buy unless the election is in the next few days you can quote current polls all you like.

Here is quite a timely article: you and others who swallowed the TFL line on ULEZ rather too easily should read this:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/11/18/sadiq-khan-ulez-expansion-pollution-reduction-asa-report/
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

Maybe more demographics than voting intentions, but I think your MIL may be onto something.

It’s all fine till her friends get too old to be schlepping her around in the car.

I think it would be better for her mind and fitness to use public transport tbh.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

It’s all fine till her friends get too old to be schlepping her around in the car.

I think it would be better for her mind and fitness to use public transport tbh.
    Fair enough - provided she is able to get to the bus stop in her condition?
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not looked tbh. Buy unless the election is in the next few days you can quote current polls all you like.

Here is quite a timely article: you and others who swallowed the TFL line on ULEZ rather too easily should read this:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/11/18/sadiq-khan-ulez-expansion-pollution-reduction-asa-report/
    I think reading that sort of guff is what has led you to thinking that ULEZ opposition was some sort of magic bullet. I posted the YouGov polling above which was completed shortly after the expansion went live. Khan has a bigger lead over the Conservative candidate than Starmer does over Sunak.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

Fair enough - provided she is able to get to the bus stop in her condition?
    Yeah. It’s a vision thing
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think reading that sort of guff is what has led you to thinking that ULEZ opposition was some sort of magic bullet. I posted the YouGov polling above which was completed shortly after the expansion went live. Khan has a bigger lead over the Conservative candidate than Starmer does over Sunak.
    Not a magic bullet, but it hasn't done him any good as far as I can see. Even if he does survive, it will at least serve as a warning to other local leftie politicians about this sort of thing.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,607
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

There is no relationship between misleading advertising and public sentiment, is that what you are saying?

Well, let's get rid of the asa, because it isn't needed.
  • Stevo_666

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

There is no relationship between misleading advertising and public sentiment, is that what you are saying?

Well, let's get rid of the asa, because it isn't needed.
    I assume that misleading the public is OK if it's a cause that RJS approves of.
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not a magic bullet, but it hasn't done him any good as far as I can see. Even if he does survive, it will at least serve as a warning to other local leftie politicians about this sort of thing.
    Stevo, he was only slightly ahead before the ULEZ was extended. He's now polling 50%: double the Conservative candidate. If that's not doing him some good I don't know what is. I'd rather someone else had a go as well (for different reasons), but it's pretty unlikely to happen.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Maybe the Conservatives should pick a candidate with policies that don't only appeal to people outside London.

I also think that Labour should have policies that take into account that not all of the London area is urban, but that's clearly less of a problem electorally.
  • rick_chasey

Maybe the Conservatives should pick a candidate with policies that don't only appeal to people outside London.

I also think that Labour should have policies that take into account that not all of the London area is urban, but that's clearly less of a problem electorally.

Excluding parks, how much are we talking here? Gotta be less than 10% at most, surely.
  • rjsterry

Maybe the Conservatives should pick a candidate with policies that don't only appeal to people outside London.

Excluding parks, how much are we talking here? Gotta be less than 10% at most, surely.
    Have a look at the London datastore.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Surely it's gotta be basically zero. The whole definition of what is London is the continuous urban sprawl!? otherwise it's not London, it's a village or town outside of?
  • Surely it's gotta be basically zero. The whole definition of what is London is the continuous urban sprawl!? otherwise it's not London, it's a village or town outside of?

The London local government area contains some parts that have very different characteristics than inner or central london, even if you don't consider the green belt that is within the boundaries.

Like I said, there's lower density there, so it's not going to be a vote winner to ONLY appeal to them.

Maybe they should be allowed to join the counties next door.
  • rjsterry

Surely it's gotta be basically zero. The whole definition of what is London is the continuous urban sprawl!? otherwise it's not London, it's a village or town outside of?

That's not how Greater London is defined.

There's a reasonable chunk of green belt land within the GLA boroughs.

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/ad_83_cpre_gigl_report_final.pdf
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo, he was only slightly ahead before the ULEZ was extended. He's now polling 50%: double the Conservative candidate. If that's not doing him some good I don't know what is. I'd rather someone else had a go as well (for different reasons), but it's pretty unlikely to happen.
    OK, but my point point was that Khan and TFL were misleading people about the benefits of ULEZ - did you read the article I linked?. What are your thoughts on that
  • rick_chasey
    Just give stevo the "too early to tell" argument ;-) he's familiar with it.
  • It would be fascinating to see how transportation has evolved on other planets. Also, the distribution of essential utilities?

Roads do seem a bit canal now.
  • rick_chasey
    TBH the rate of population growth has been rapid and our construction has not matched pace, so funnily enough, everything is now pretty full compared to what they were designed to be.
  • Stevo_666

Just give stevo the "too early to tell" argument ;-) he's familiar with it.

So no comment from you on Khan and TFL misleading the public on ULEZ benefits?
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

OK, but my point point was that Khan and TFL were misleading people about the benefits of ULEZ - did you read the article I linked?. What are your thoughts on that
    I can only ever see the first few lines of Telegraph articles on my phone. If you can point me to the original source I'll have a look. In any case, didn't we rehearse that argument at length before? I'm not sure anything has changed since then. There's not going to be any substantive new data as the extension has only been in place for a matter of weeks.
    Pinnacle Monzonite