The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,664
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Here's a novel solution for future planners. Put the bus station next to the train station. I am frequently amazed by the distance between.

Cardiff has gone the other way. The bus station used to be right outside Central station but was knocked down for a new office development where the BBC are now based and a big, open, boring concourse that is useful for arranging queues when there are big events but the rest of the time is just an ugly grey space.

I don’t think they have a centralised bus station now and instead have a few areas scattered around the city. It feels ridiculous to me. In the case of Severn Tunnel Junction there isn’t a bus station although I think some small buses may go down there. It’s a pretty random station in a small village that just happens to be where the lines split with the mainline to London through the tunnels and another heading up through Gloucester to Birmingham.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/completion-cardiff-bus-station-delayed-27364086

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    That's good news then, basically back in its original position eventually and should be a lot nicer albeit with far fewer bays. Hadn't realised that was what was going there.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509
    Seems like a win. And £26m in a month for public transport funding too.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,881
    edited October 2023

Currently, 75% of the materials can be recycled, with the remaining 25% ending up in landfill. As the most recycled consumer product, end-of-life vehicles provide the steel industry with more than 14 million tons of steel per year.

I don't like the sound of that though. That's 80,000 cars scrapped too early when a natural transition is happening anyway. Isn't it better to fix and maintain rather than a conveyor belt of landfill?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594

I don't like the sound of that though. That's 80,000 cars scrapped too early when a natural transition is happening anyway. Isn't it better to fix and maintain rather than a conveyor belt of landfill?

Don't buy a tesla then:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/26/hertz-pulls-back-on-ev-plans-citing-tesla-price-cuts-repair-costs.html
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,881
    $h1t I ain't doing very well this morning, I've p1$$ed on me own chips twice.

I might give it another crack this afternoon.
  • Pross

Currently, 75% of the materials can be recycled, with the remaining 25% ending up in landfill. As the most recycled consumer product, end-of-life vehicles provide the steel industry with more than 14 million tons of steel per year.

Unless new recycling techniques come in then it will end up in landfill anyway and presumably the newer cars have more recyclable parts?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,660
    I hear Volvo is launching a new model called the Woke that runs off your own f@rts.
  • rick_chasey

I hear Volvo is launching a new model called the Woke that runs off your own f@rts.

Is it as big as a house as all their other cars?
  • First.Aspect

Don't get me startedon car sizes. Was in a BMW dealership recently, and they had a few heritage cars there. Quite eye opening. Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear. As it were.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,589

So engaging 'Sport' mode involves having a curry the night before?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross

Don't get me startedon car sizes. Was in a BMW dealership recently, and they had a few heritage cars there. Quite eye opening. Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear. As it were.
    And yet the usable space on a modern Volvo estate (and probably all estate cars) seems far smaller than it was 20-30 years ago. I suspect a lot of the extra space is external for safety performance and modern aerodynamics and / or styling preferences round off corners that impact on the functional space.
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

So engaging 'Sport' mode involves having a curry the night before?
    No, that's more like premium unleaded.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

And yet the usable space on a modern Volvo estate (and probably all estate cars) seems far smaller than it was 20-30 years ago. I suspect a lot of the extra space is external for safety performance and modern aerodynamics and / or styling preferences round off corners that impact on the functional space.
    It's important to be fully protected if you have an accident while trying to operate the vehicle's touch screen.
  • Nobody actually "engages sports mode" do they?
  • First.Aspect

Nobody actually "engages sports mode" do they?

Yup. Mine has adaptive suspension. Sport mode unleashes more horses, changes how it changes gear and changes the weighting on the steering.
  • Stevo_666

If it's there, why not? Good fun. There's also race mode but that turns the traction control off so is more for track days.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954

Why buy that level of car if you're never going to use it?
    Save money and buy a lower spec in that case.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    still maintain in my car I get better value for money using the premium unleaded.
  • First.Aspect

still maintain in my car I get better value for money using the premium unleaded.

E5 possibly, but unlikely. The premium stuff that allegedly reduces wear and improves efficiency is snake oil.
  • pblakeney said:

Why buy that level of car if you're never going to use it?
    Save money and buy a lower spec in that case.
    My 1.2l peugeot has a sports mode.

Yup. Mine has adaptive suspension. Sport mode unleashes more horses, changes how it changes gear and changes the weighting on the steering.
    If that makes it better why isn't that just normal mode?
  • rick_chasey

E5 possibly, but unlikely. The premium stuff that allegedly reduces wear and improves efficiency is snake oil.
    I swear I get through much less of it. Genuinely.
  • First.Aspect

Because fuel economy goes from bad to really bad and you would lose an inch in height due to spinal compression.
  • First.Aspect

I swear I get through much less of it. Genuinely.
    Mines right on the line. I think it's 1-2 mpg worse (towns, motorway) which is about 5%.

Genuinely don't know if using ethanol is better or worse because I don't know if the ethanol is obtained from what used to be food crops or rainforest.
  • Stevo_666

Not so much better as different, depending how you want to drive. As FA said.

Because fuel economy goes from bad to really bad and you would lose an inch in height due to spinal compression.
    Well that sounds suboptimal, so why would you use it? Does it make a nicer brrm brrm noise?
  • First.Aspect
    Have the forum tidiness police been in touch?
  • First.Aspect

Well that sounds suboptimal, so why would you use it? Does it make a nicer brrm brrm noise?
    It does actually, yes. There's a valve in the exhaust that opens.

I bought it because it was the same price as a slower one. In hindsight the number of times I can exploit the difference is low, and the number of times I can do so legally or safely is lower still.

But while I have it it is fun. You know, fun? For you the equivalent would be putting raisins on your All Bran or something like that I think.

Next car we get will be small and electric, if such a thing exists.