The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

Just give stevo the "too early to tell" argument ;-) he's familiar with it.

So no comment from you on Khan and TFL misleading the public on ULEZ benefits?
    No idea, haven't been following it, I don't use a car in London and even if I did my car complies comfortably.

I am generally anti-car in London and I know the pollution is constantly terrible where it is most sensible to either cycle or use public transport, so f*ck 'em. The car drivers don't give a sh!t about my health so I'm not inclined to care about their finances.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

Stevo_666 said:

I am generally anti-car in London and I know the pollution is constantly terrible where it is most sensible to either cycle or use public transport, so f*ck 'em. The car drivers don't give a sh!t about my health so I'm not inclined to care about their finances.

That's my general impression about the pro-carists whose moans about LTNs and inability to drive and park unhindered exactly where they want to pop up on FB all the time - they offer absolutely no solutions, are unable to conceive of any alternative, and utterly blind to the fact that there are simply too many people driving into/out of Exeter at peak times, despite (in many cases) good alternatives.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

"Perfect travel conditions in central London, you've got tubes you've got trains you've got........ we simply don't have that out here, so people are absolutely compelled to use their cars"

*Camera cuts to bus going past*

:D

My MIL, mrs Brexit daily Mail, who cannot drive or cycle following a stroke, refuses on principal to take the bus as it’s for “labour voters”.

Honestly, she would rather be entirely reliant on lifts from people.
    That's the sort of snobbery I would really struggle to tolerate. Have you asked up which party hitchhikers vote for?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,044

Stevo_666 said:

No idea, haven't been following it, I don't use a car in London and even if I did my car complies comfortably.

Doesn't change the fact that Khan stands accused of misleading the public. Wonder why quite a few people seem to be dodging the issue?

Btw the ULEZ boundary closest to me has farmers fields etc. Not even remotely urban.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Doesn't change the fact that Khan stands accused of misleading the public. Wonder why quite a few people seem to be dodging the issue?

Btw the ULEZ boundary closest to me has farmers fields etc. Not even remotely urban.
    As a compromise, I'm happy if the ULEZ charge applies to all vehicles.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe they're dressing as Khan, given his political career is in danger of extinction as a result of the ULEZ expansion?

Is there a serious opposition this time? I haven't followed it at all apart from seeing the Tory candidate getting a bit of grief for some dodgy tweets
    There certainly seemed to be. Which Khan ignored because he thought that he was right and everyone else was wrong.
    And then all of a sudden it vanished. Amazing. Where have they all gone??🤔
    Not sure that it has gone. Let's see come mayoral election time.
    Are you just pretending you haven't seen the polling?
    Not looked tbh. Buy unless the election is in the next few days you can quote current polls all you like.

Here is quite a timely article: you and others who swallowed the TFL line on ULEZ rather too easily should read this:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/11/18/sadiq-khan-ulez-expansion-pollution-reduction-asa-report/
    I think reading that sort of guff is what has led you to thinking that ULEZ opposition was some sort of magic bullet. I posted the YouGov polling above which was completed shortly after the expansion went live. Khan has a bigger lead over the Conservative candidate than Starmer does over Sunak.
    Not a magic bullet, but it hasn't done him any good as far as I can see. Even if he does survive, it will at least serve as a warning to other local leftie politicians about this sort of thing.
    Stevo, he was only slightly ahead before the ULEZ was extended. He's now polling 50%: double the Conservative candidate. If that's not doing him some good I don't know what is. I'd rather someone else had a go as well (for different reasons), but it's pretty unlikely to happen.
    OK, but my point point was that Khan and TFL were misleading people about the benefits of ULEZ - did you read the article I linked?. What are your thoughts on that
    I can only ever see the first few lines of Telegraph articles on my phone. If you can point me to the original source I'll have a look. In any case, didn't we rehearse that argument at length before? I'm not sure anything has changed since then. There's not going to be any substantive new data as the extension has only been in place for a matter of weeks.
    See the issue here is that Khan is accused of not providing enough evidence to support his claims. So there may not be the source data for him to do that - and the onus is on him/TFL to show the evidence, not me.

Good deflection attempt though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

As a compromise, I'm happy if the ULEZ charge applies to all vehicles.
    How does that fit in with TFLs aims for the ULEZ?
  • rick_chasey
    With the camera tech they have I wonder if they could create an algorithm that plots the car's journey within the ULEZ limits and charges them 2x whatever it would cost to do the nearest equivalent journey on public transport.

For commercial vehicles you could create a different set of pricing.

Dreamy.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe they're dressing as Khan, given his political career is in danger of extinction as a result of the ULEZ expansion?

Is there a serious opposition this time? I haven't followed it at all apart from seeing the Tory candidate getting a bit of grief for some dodgy tweets
    There certainly seemed to be. Which Khan ignored because he thought that he was right and everyone else was wrong.
    Not looked tbh. Buy unless the election is in the next few days you can quote current polls all you like.

Here is quite a timely article: you and others who swallowed the TFL line on ULEZ rather too easily should read this:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/11/18/sadiq-khan-ulez-expansion-pollution-reduction-asa-report/
    I think reading that sort of guff is what has led you to thinking that ULEZ opposition was some sort of magic bullet. I posted the YouGov polling above which was completed shortly after the expansion went live. Khan has a bigger lead over the Conservative candidate than Starmer does over Sunak.
    Not a magic bullet, but it hasn't done him any good as far as I can see. Even if he does survive, it will at least serve as a warning to other local leftie politicians about this sort of thing.
    Stevo, he was only slightly ahead before the ULEZ was extended. He's now polling 50%: double the Conservative candidate. If that's not doing him some good I don't know what is. I'd rather someone else had a go as well (for different reasons), but it's pretty unlikely to happen.
    OK, but my point point was that Khan and TFL were misleading people about the benefits of ULEZ - did you read the article I linked?. What are your thoughts on that
    I can only ever see the first few lines of Telegraph articles on my phone. If you can point me to the original source I'll have a look. In any case, didn't we rehearse that argument at length before? I'm not sure anything has changed since then. There's not going to be any substantive new data as the extension has only been in place for a matter of weeks.
    See the issue here is that Khan is accused of not providing enough evidence to support his claims. So there may not be the source data for him to do that - and the onus is on him/TFL to show the evidence, not me.

He's asking for the article source.

There isn't one linked rjsterry.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) is set to criticise Transport for London (TfL) for “misleading” claims about the expansion of the Ulez zone reducing levels of poisonous nitrogen dioxide (NO2) particles.

The ASA draft recommendations will come as a huge embarrassment for both TfL and Mr Khan, the organisation’s chairman, after £9 million was spent on a “marketing blitz” ahead of the controversial Ulez expansion.

The report, marked “classified”, was handed to The Telegraph after it was sent to interested parties before any potential amendments, ratification and publication.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2023

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

"Perfect travel conditions in central London, you've got tubes you've got trains you've got........ we simply don't have that out here, so people are absolutely compelled to use their cars"

My MIL, mrs Brexit daily Mail, who cannot drive or cycle following a stroke, refuses on principal to take the bus as it’s for “labour voters”.

That's the sort of snobbery I would really struggle to tolerate. Have you asked up which party hitchhikers vote for?
    *shrugs* She's my mother in law, what can you do.

In that part of the world, for that generation, who you vote for is really an admission of class; are you working class or not.

She's made it out of a really sh!tty part of that part of the world, so voting labour to her would be admitting she is back in a sh!thole, regardless of the reality.

It's nothing to do with policies, as she's genuinely voting against her own interests and she has had this pointed out to her.
  • TheBigBean

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

In that part of the world, for that generation, who you vote for is really an admission of class; are you working class or not.

She's made it out of a really sh!tty part of that part of the world, so voting labour to her would be admitting she is back in a sh!thole, regardless of the reality.

It's nothing to do with policies, as she's genuinely voting against her own interests and she has had this pointed out to her.
    It's not her voting I'm taking issue with. It's the being too classy to take public transport.
  • rick_chasey

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

It's not her voting I'm taking issue with. It's the being too classy to take public transport.
    She pities people who use it, so presumably she doesn't want to be self pitying.
  • TheBigBean

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

She pities people who use it, so presumably she doesn't want to be self pitying.
    Instead she has lost her independence and leaches off everyone else. I pity her.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

Instead she has lost her independence and leaches off everyone else. I pity her.
    I pity the "everyone else".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156

With the camera tech they have I wonder if they could create an algorithm that plots the car's journey within the ULEZ limits and charges them 2x whatever it would cost to do the nearest equivalent journey on public transport.

Dreamy.

Rumours of a planned charge per mile being the next stage.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Could you outline exactly what is supposed to have been misrepresented? Ideally from a slightly more neutral source.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2023
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) is set to criticise Transport for London (TfL) for “misleading” claims about the expansion of the Ulez zone reducing levels of poisonous nitrogen dioxide (NO2) particles.

The ASA draft recommendations will come as a huge embarrassment for both TfL and Mr Khan, the organisation’s chairman, after £9 million was spent on a “marketing blitz” ahead of the controversial Ulez expansion.

The report, marked “classified”, was handed to The Telegraph after it was sent to interested parties before any potential amendments, ratification and publication.
    Ah, so it is just a rehash of the same argument we were having before. Not sure there's much to be gained by repeating it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Mr T used to "pity the fool" and he drove a van. So where does that leave us?
  • rjsterry

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

Think we're fine without her pity.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

6 minutes 20:

Think we're fine without her pity.
    Not so nice for her daughter.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,957
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

Ah, so it is just a rehash of the same argument we were having before. Not sure there's much to be gained by repeating it.
    Well I think the argument previously involved me being told that I didn't know what I was talking about, when it came to the science, so we could skip straight to the part where you say the ASA also don't know what they are talking about if you would like?
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think we can assume that if the ASA I'd pursuing the case then there is enough evidence for them.
  • Stevo_666

Dreamy.

That's all it is, a dream. Non starter outside the car haters echo chamber.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,911
    Is this the one Stevo?
    https://www.independent.co.uk/business/tfl-misled-public-about-ulez-benefits-according-to-leaked-draft-report-b2450314.html

As far as I can tell, it is the adverts that are being criticized (not the ULEZ scheme itself) because they didn't make it clear that predicted reductions in pollution were models rather than measured reductions - although presumably the adverts were before ULEZ was operational so I can't see how anyone could have thought otherwise?

Following the ASA’s investigation, it found two adverts were “misleading” because they “did not clarify” claims NO2 levels had “reduced by nearly half” as a result of Ulez, and were based on “estimates or modelled scenarios” and not “actual figures”.
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think we can assume that if the ASA I'd pursuing the case then there is enough evidence for them.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well I think the argument previously involved me being told that I didn't know what I was talking about, when it came to the science, so we could skip straight to the part where you say the ASA also don't know what they are talking about if you would like?
    😁 I think there was plenty of that on both sides. The point here seems to be that predicted reductions were necessarily based on modelling not actual results. That may not have been made clear on adverts. I don't know: I didn't actually see any of these adverts despite living in the ULEZ expansion area. It's now happened, so give it a few months and you can either say told you so or admit that it has worked. Or more realistically agree that pollution has reduced but dispute exactly why.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Dreamy.

That's all it is, a dream. Non starter outside the car haters echo chamber.
    It's pretty rational tbh. London is too dense for car driving.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,911
    Wouldn't they need cameras on pretty much every street in London though?
    Also, the bus fare cap is £5.25 so driving around london all day would be capped at £10.50.
  • rick_chasey
    monkimark said:

Wouldn't they need cameras on pretty much every street in London though?
    Also, the bus fare cap is £5.25 so driving around london all day would be capped at £10.50.

Depends if your route would be fasted serviced just by the bus, right ;) They could get the algo to pick the fastest, rather than the cheapest public transport.

travel from zone 6 to 1 is capped at £14.90 at peak.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,957
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

😁 I think there was plenty of that on both sides. The point here seems to be that predicted reductions were necessarily based on modelling not actual results. That may not have been made clear on adverts. I don't know: I didn't actually see any of these adverts despite living in the ULEZ expansion area. It's now happened, so give it a few months and you can either say told you so or admit that it has worked. Or more realistically agree that pollution has reduced but dispute exactly why.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and predict very little change.

Am coming round to BBs view that is really just needs to be a blanket charge for driving, if anything.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict very little change.

Am coming round to BBs view that is really just needs to be a blanket charge for driving, if anything.

#waronpeoplewhocantconceiveofchanginghabitstobenifitotherpeopleandtheplanet.