THE WOLLONGONG WORLDS... SPOILERS

Comments

• Hayter 9th in some good company
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,872
    alan_a said:

Outrageous. MVP arrested and charged during the race for an altercation with young kids banging on his door at 4am

Was it deliberately targeting him ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    edited September 2022
    Remco Evenepoel is the first male rider in 40 years to win a Momument, Grand Tour GC and the WC-RR in the same year

Saronni the last in 1982. Obv Merckx did it, Hinault and Binda the only others
  • mididoctors
    Remco looks like a herge character with that hair
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Right on my bike I guess ....
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Who won?

Been a bit busy.

Got a date with MVDP Tuesday morning.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114

He’s living up to the hype tbf.

Vuelta, LBL, Worlds in the same year.

He’s 22

Last rider to win a monument, a GT and the Worlds in the same season was one Bernard Hinault.
  • I'd like to see what happened in the peloton on the last lap.

They were about 90 seconds behind Lutsenko at the start of the lap, then we saw WVA and Bettiol catching the Bardet group with about 7k to go with still around a minute gap
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,739
    Terrible camera direction.

Always a problem in the worlds but especially bad this time
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Hell of a breakout year for him.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    alan_a said:

Who won?

Been a bit busy.

Christ - have they never seen a bike race before.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,426
    What was the shushing gesture about at the finish?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,426
    alan_a said:

Who won?

Been a bit busy.

😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    What a very dull race, made less interesting by some very strange camera direction/selection.
  • Eurosport highlights package, as ever, irritatingly unwatchable.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Awful coverage, missed most of a potentially interesting battle for the podium spots.
  • Mad_Malx
    The hotel, and Dutch team management, must surely shoulder most of the responsibility for the MVDP incident. How can your top (male) rider, and one of the favourites, end up staying in a party hotel?
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550

I just read Alan's charge sheet..."dressing up as a teenager girl and disturbing hotel guests late at night".

:D:D:D:D:D

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Mad_Malx said:

The hotel, and Dutch team management, must surely shoulder most of the responsibility for the MvdP incident. How can your top (male) rider, and one of the favourites, end up staying in a party hotel?

An epic failure - are they short of cash?? Mixing elite sportspeople and tourists on the same floor of a hotel isn't the most sensible idea......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,739
    andyrac said:

Mad_Malx said:

The hotel, and Dutch team management, must surely shoulder most of the responsibility for the MvdP incident. How can your top (male) rider, and one of the favourites, end up staying in a party hotel?

An epic failure - are they short of cash?? Mixing elite sportspeople and tourists on the same floor of a hotel isn't the most sensible idea......
    I know the Belgians had to pay their own way…unless the press furore made them change their mind.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Only caught the end of the BBC highlights and they were bugging up Ben Tullett so I assumed he was the top British finisher but comments above show Hayter in 9th. Why were they talking about Tullett instead?
  • Just watched it on catch up - christ the kid can ride.

Very impressive, but glad I could fast forward the last 20km. Once he was gone, he wasn't coming back.

Nice of Lutsenko to help him out, I thought.
  • Pross said:

Only caught the end of the BBC highlights and they were bugging up Ben Tullett so I assumed he was the top British finisher but comments above show Hayter in 9th. Why were they talking about Tullett instead?

He was in the chase group (the one that Remco attacked out of) so was featured for a long time at the front of the race

Hayter was dropped the 3rd last time up the climb (when Pog put in a dig) so I assume the commentators thought he was toast
  • Mad_Malx
    edited September 2022

andyrac said:

Mad_Malx said:

I know the Belgians had to pay their own way…unless the press furore made them change their mind.
    MvdP rumoured to be on E 2 million ; I doubt he was in the backpacker's hostel.

edit - Although that might explain why there wasn't a minder around to sort things out.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,273
    edited September 2022
    Also,wtf?

• Also,wtf?

Was sure that was gonna be Alan when I saw it
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602

Pross said:

He was in the chase group (the one that Remco attacked out of) so was featured for a long time at the front of the race

Hayter was dropped the 3rd last time up the climb (when Pog put in a dig) so I assume the commentators thought he was toast
    This was in the post race analysis though.