THE WOLLONGONG WORLDS... SPOILERS

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    edited September 2022

I'm sat on a train and can only follow via Twitter, but I'm assuming I just missed something ridiculous?

AvV on the defensive all day, can’t follow any of the top moves, always in the chase, mainly chasing for Vos.

Group of favourites arrived at 1km to go without AvV, slows down, AvV goes ‘erop en erover’ and no one chases till too late.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    pblakeney said:

I'm sat on a train and can only follow via Twitter, but I'm assuming I just missed something ridiculous?

Big jump from the back by AvV with 1 km to go.
    Nobody was able, or willing, to catch.
    As much as anything it was that no one was smart enough to anticipate it, apart from everyone watching.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    gsk82 said:

pblakeney said:

Big jump from the back by AvV with 1 km to go.
    Nobody was able, or willing, to catch.
    As much as anything it was that no one was smart enough to anticipate it, apart from everyone watching.
    Easier from the helicopter tbf
  • It takes some doing to win a Worlds RR medal with a fracture, never mind doing it again (and getting the jersey) two years later!

On top of which she's replaced Alejandro Valverde as Movistar's oldest WC.
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited September 2022
    After all that I'd forgotten the U23s also get medals. Top three among the elites were Niamh Fisher-Black (12th, +0:01), Pfeiffer Georgi (16th, +0:13), and Ricarda Bauernfeind (20th, +0:13).
  • rick_chasey

It takes some doing to win a Worlds RR medal with a fracture, never mind doing it again (and getting the jersey) two years later!

On top of which she's replaced Alejandro Valverde as Movistar's oldest WC.

• Avv does a Stephen Hendry, impressive.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    That is the best cyclo-thing I've ever seen!

I mean it's close to best thing ever...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Eurosport are effing hopeless. Highlights / re-run of WRR should have started 45 minutes ago. Crappy irrelvant made up tennis tournament over-runs, then compounded by 20 minutes post match waffle.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193

Eurosport are effing hopeless. Highlights / re-run of WRR should have started 45 minutes ago. Crappy irrelvant made up tennis tournament over-runs, then compounded by 20 minutes post match waffle.

There's highlights and full re-run on BBC iPlayer
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    edited September 2022
    The full women's elite race was on live on BBC2 this morning.
    With highlights prog on BBC2 at 14.45
    Men's elite on live tomorrow morning, highlights at 14.30
    All available on catchup.

Shame they have had no coverage of the events in which GB won medals
    (Except the womens U23 RR, which deserves it's own separate race anyway....)

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    flite said:

(Except the womens U23 RR, which deserves it's own separate race anyway....)

The whole u23 category needs a rethink. On one hand you have a Women's World u23 champion despite there not being a women's u23 calendar, while the men's u23 race is usually dominated by people who no longer ride in races on their u23 calendar.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Does the under 23 champion get to wear the jersey in elite cat races.
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2022
    webboo said:

Does the under 23 champion get to wear the jersey in elite cat races.

No. Only u23 races
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Probably too big a gap? Would U21 be more realistic.
    Must be scary for the other young women that Zoe B could race as U23 for the next 5 years.
  • webboo
    Which if you are an under 23 women there aren’t any.
  • RichN95.
    flite said:

Must be scary for the other young women that Zoe B could race as U23 for the next 5 years.

I think a separate u23 women's race would run the risk of being an exhibition race for the Dutch B team.

Cyclocross do a u23 World Champs. The last four podiums

(The Dutch did enter in 2020)
  • webboo
    RichN95. said:

flite said:

I think a separate u23 women's race would run the risk of being an exhibition race for the Dutch B team.

Cyclocross do a u23 World Champs. The last four podiums

(The Dutch did enter in 2020)
    As far as I know there are no womens under 23 World Cup races so again the world champion doesn’t get show off the jersey.
  • RichN95.
    webboo said:

As far as I know there are no womens under 23 World Cup races so again the world champion doesn’t get show off the jersey.

Correct I believe. I think the introduction of it is due to supposed equality rather than practicality
  • webboo
    A different design of the rainbow bands ( like that Vets WC jersey with them in a v shape or rainbow bands on a different colour ) for each age group. Then they could all wear them in the same race.
    But then again a lot of this is the UCI just ticking boxes.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,549

Could be worse... In Australia STAN have the main rights, but yesterday a free to air Channel 9 had Elite Women and Today's Elite men.

At 4:59pm Channel 9 cut away from the coverage to go over to the 5pm News...

The race was at 2km to go !!!!!

That's how much Aussie broadcasters think of cycling, which yesterday was up against their biggest sporting event of the year...

AFL Grand Final

Plus Wallabies v All Blacks , plus NRL semi final.
  • alan_a
    RichN95. said:

Is anyone drug testing Alan?

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

All powered by too much caffeine... And sharing Haribo with my best buddies Morgan.

• RichN95.
    It's inspiring seeing a man of advancing years behaving just like a 10 year old. Keep it up.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Man, I am really struggling to get up enough enthusiasm to set an alarm for this...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

Man, I am really struggling to get up enough enthusiasm to set an alarm for this...

Why do it? If you have GCN or catch-up services (BBC maybe), just wake up and watch it tomorrow. That's what I'll do.
  • alan_a
    RichN95. said:

It's inspiring seeing a man of advancing years behaving just like a 10 year old. Keep it up.

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Cheeky bar steward
  • alan_a
    Remco and Cosnefroy were both doing hill repeats between women's laps yesterday.

Volunteer stewards tried to kick them off until they were advised otherwise 🤣
  • alan_a
    Outrageous. MVP arrested and charged during the race for an altercation with young kids banging on his door at 4am