THE WOLLONGONG WORLDS... SPOILERS

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Opportunity for somewhere like Megève to get an XC course built on the cheap...

"La course de Mont Blanc"...etc
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    They need to build a velodrome, so I imagine most of the budget will go on that.
  • ddraver
    Not like Megeve needs the money either tbf...

A velodrome could be great for the area though. Get a half-decent architect on it and it could be awesome. I can imagine an entire base being set up there eventually. Altitude (kinda) and winter training for the mountain bikers who don't dig skimo...
    - @ddraver
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550

The Belgians and the Slovaks are in the hotel next to us. . . We might have accidentally drunkenly gate crashed Wout & Remco's press conference yesterday.

A group of us tagged along the course practice session yesterday morning. Good chat all round. The Backsted and Tarling siblings seem so relaxed.

Dumfries Av & Ramah double climb is brutal. #gubbed.

Is there more than one Alaphillipe? Everywhere we go he is there riding a bike. Saw him for 3hrs at 9.30am session, then later on just breezing along the Seacliffe Bridge, then later at 3.30pm riding up Bulli Pass on his own whilst we were driving down.
  • alan_a
    Top 2 in the jnr TT involved in a nasty crash.in RR. Lots of road rash on Tarling and MacKenzie.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Caught the final 20k of the men's u23 . First bit I have managed to catch

Bit of disparity between the lead duo and the rest of the bunch race endurance wise
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Never really liked the u23 cat. Never made sense to me
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,488

Never really liked the u23 cat. Never made sense to me

Especially these days where if you don't have a GT or Classic to your name at 23 you are passed it!
  • Hey @alan_a I've just noticed a typo in the thread title - it should be Wollongong, not Woolongong. Any chance you could edit for future searches, and 'cos now it's all I can see? 😅
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    One assumes Bertie had control of the Twitter account...
    - @ddraver
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    edited September 2022
    Jeeezers, Zoe’s as strong as an ox!
  • gethinceri
    Seems she’s thought “right, I’m off!”
    epic
  • gethinceri
    2:38 gap. With 30kms to go they’ve let her go and win. Utter dominance, mental and physical.
  • Hey @alan_a I've just noticed a typo in the thread title - it should be Wollongong, not Woolongong. Any chance you could edit for future searches, and 'cos now it's all I can see? 😅

Just be grateful the course is not starting in Woolloomooloo :smiley:

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • alan_a

Laps 2, 3 & 4 I got the entire hill to sing happy birthday to her as she went past.

It was awesome. As one section stopped you could hear the next 100m up starting.

She didn't even look like she was trying.
  • Nice try @alan_a but still not quite correct...

It's Wollongong.

There are no double "o"s anywhere in it.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • alan_a

Hey @alan_a I've just noticed a typo in the thread title - it should be Wollongong, not Woolongong. Any chance you could edit for future searches, and 'cos now it's all I can see? 😅

Done

IIRC either you or LR have a crush on this man

• alan_a

Nice try @alan_a but still not quite correct...

It's Wollongong.

There are no double "o"s anywhere in it.

FFS... I am 4 coffees and half a bottle of sparkling Shiraz to the good.

Please don't expect much coherent typography from me today 🤣
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    I’m awake so turned on the womens race. 42km to go. Not much to say other than it’s thinning out quite a bit now.

No break at the moment.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Sarah Roy of Oz makes a solo effort off the front at 34km to go but the peloton looks pretty organised.

Has broken up and come back together again so I suspect the favourites are just biding their time.
  • TV director a bit too keen on helicopter shots of the coastline
  • Big move
  • Lippert
    Borghini
    Ludwig
    Moolman-pasio
    Niewiadoma
  • Same 5 go again with 7km to go
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,746
    alan_a said:

Laps 2, 3 & 4 I got the entire hill to sing happy birthday to her as she went past.

Thought that was you at the time.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    Stunning win!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    AvV wins with a completely obvious attack in the last km from a group of a dozen who let her ride off. No other Dutch in the front group.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I'm sat on a train and can only follow via Twitter, but I'm assuming I just missed something ridiculous?
  • pblakeney

I'm sat on a train and can only follow via Twitter, but I'm assuming I just missed something ridiculous?

Big jump from the back by AvV with 1 km to go.
    Nobody was able, or willing, to catch.
    Veronese68 wrote: