CX Season 2022/23.......

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ....would they?

I did think it would have to be over the cross course to be fair ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

ddraver said:

They should have a XC Skier alongside too to see which way is quicker. I think that'd actually be quite a good race.

Surely the XC skier would win by a distance?
    Would be interesting to see though.
    It might depend on how many bridges and sets of stairs there were on the course. Those stairs on the USA worlds would be a right laugh in a pair of ski’s.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    edited December 2022
    seanoconn said:

Is it me or does Tom Pidcock speak in broken English with a slight Dutch/Belgian accent during CX interviews?

Yes he does. Like Nigel Short speaking like a Russian in interview when he was playing against Kasparov.

...and for the record, reet posh Stevo is from Redcar.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Is it me or does Tom Pidcock speak in broken English with a slight Dutch/Belgian accent during CX interviews?

Yes he does. Like Nigel Short speaking like a Russian in interview when he was playing against Kasparov.

So there are no posh folk in Redcar.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

I'm thinking Steve McClaren when he was coaching in the Netherlands and did a press conference in English with a 'Dutch' accent (I think he'd been watching Austin Powers).
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Pross said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

I'm thinking Steve McClaren when he was coaching in the Netherlands and did a press conference in English with a 'Dutch' accent (I think he'd been watching Austin Powers).
    Joey Barton’s fluent French
    https://youtu.be/dovfYaQoPoY
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Slow motion snow cycling

https://youtu.be/vNZPqeDcljg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Val di Sole; and MvdP is back after a training camp; which sometimes leaves him with heavy legs, and lesser performances; however he has an excellent record here, and with no Wout or Tom should be a class above the others.
    Van Empel won here last year and should go close again, with Puck her only real challenger. Persico makes her World Cup debut, but if she makes the top 5 she's done well; I think 3rd in the Worlds on a fast course flattered her.

Something else I've noticed after a quick look on instagram; we've seen very little of Christen in CX this season...which I thought might happen.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • pinno
    andyrac said:

Val di Sole; and MvdP is back after a training camp; which sometimes leaves him with heavy legs, and lesser performances; however he has an excellent record here, and with no Wout or Tom should be a class above the others.
    Van Empel won here last year and should go close again, with Puck her only real challenger. Persico makes her World Cup debut, but if she makes the top 5 she's done well; I think 3rd in the Worlds on a fast course flattered her.

Something else I've noticed after a quick look on instagram; we've seen very little of Christen in CX this season...which I thought might happen.

Yeah, what's happened to Annemarie Wurst too?

• ddraver
    edited December 2022
    (Guess I can put this here too...)

PFP was Mary and the Ineos Christmas Party...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmPsMa8jyZx/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    pinno said:

andyrac said:

Yeah, what's happened to Annemarie Wurst too?

She sustained injuries in her crash at Namur that kept her off the bike for a few weeks. I think she's back training now and should be racing again soon.
  • webboo
    Van Empal stretchered off the course in the womens race. What happened wasn’t show on Eurosport but it didn’t look good.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Really enjoyed the ambiance of Val di sole but largely uncompetitive due to the conditions, shame.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    edited December 2022
    webboo said:

Van Empal stretchered off the course in the womens race. What happened wasn’t show on Eurosport but it didn’t look good.

Eli Iserbyt also stretchered off. Banged a knee big time. Not a good day for the Pauwels team. Added: other than the win of course 😊
  • webboo
    Too cold and icy to ride today and there’s no races to watch. Which numpty organises the calendar.
  • andyp
    webboo said:

Too cold and icy to ride today and there’s no races to watch. Which numpty organises the calendar.

One that didn't want a race to be overshadowed by the World Cup Final.
  • webboo
    A final the doesn’t start till after the races have usually finished.
  • ddraver
    Italy = Saturday

Sunday is for god...
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    They could have nipped over the border to race in Switzerland or Monaco.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Well yes; Switzerland has a great history in CX, and should probably have a World Cup round......but has no ££££££ for it.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • webboo
    Switzerland ummm well you wouldn’t exactly say they were short of money.
    Mind do they have any of their own.
  • pinno
    ddraver said:

Italy = Saturday

Sunday is for god...

Hence MSR and Lombardy on a Saturday.
    ...but the Giro goes on as normal.

Funny dat.
  • andyp
    ddraver said:

Italy = Saturday

Sunday is for god...

The Val di Sole World Cup round last year was held on a Sunday. It was held on a Saturday this year purely to accommodate the football.
  • pinno
    Italy didn't even qualify - you'd think they would be in mourning and would want some distraction.
  • ddraver
    Fair...
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Normal service resumed today, with MvdP showing who is the real boss, ahead of WvA and Pidders as distant third.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    That's a good watch, the race kept changing. Though the big (or sometimes not) 3 are different league.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

Normal service resumed today, with MvdP showing who is the real boss, ahead of WvA and Pidders as distant third.

A good race worth watching would you say?
    or a bit processional?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    orraloon said:

That's a good watch, the race kept changing. Though the big (or sometimes not) 3 are different league.

Ah I see that's a yes!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18