CX Season 2022/23.......

andyrac
andyrac Posts: 1,123
https://cyclocross24.com

For info, and calendar, rankings, etc

The first races in Europe were actually in Germany last weekend. However this weekend sees races in Netherlands, Belgium, and the USCX Cup. It's also the Australian Championships in Wollongong...

There is supposed to be a UCI World Cup in the UK in December, but there's been very little info.....which is a little worrying.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    On the London World Cup round, there has been a change of organisers, and from what I've heard, it's in the balance as to whether it goes ahead this year or not.
  • Noooo

I have held off planning a trip to Belgium in the hope of going to this event.
  • andyrac
    andyp said:

On the London World Cup round, there has been a change of organisers, and from what I've heard, it's in the balance as to whether it goes ahead this year or not.

About a month ago on the Crosscast podcast they mentioned that they can't say anything at all, as it could jeopardise the event. One hope it happens, but it's not looking promising; the Benidorm round has already been doing promotion, etc
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac
    In unsurprising news, Fem van Empel signs for jumbo-Visma from 1st January.

https://www.teamjumbovisma.com/news/news/van-empel-signs-contract-with-team-jumbo-visma-women/
  • andyrac
    Well, a few updates to the World Cup calendar.
    Both Rucphen & Dendermonde get the chop - which are no great loss. Both are pretty bland, featureless courses. The classic course at Gavere replaces the latter on Boxing Day.

And sadly, to nobody's great surprise, London won't be included, and Dublin takes its place. If we can't get the backing for a World Cup during what is a golden era for British CX, then when can we? From memory, only Belgium & Netherlands have won more Worlds medals in the last 5-6 years.

It's a mystery how Dublin has managed to do it; must be all those well known Irish CX racers..... ;)
  • very upset about that... was looking forward to a London round.
  • andyrac
    I believe they're still trying to put something together for the future, but they need to drop the obsession with London. Cyclopark Kent would seem a perfect place - right off the motorway.
    Or what about other sporting venues? Or Yorkshire - home of the current World Champion? Maybe that is too far from Belgium....

Anyway, the first World Cup of the season is next weekend, in Waterloo, the home of Trek.
  • andyp
    I spoke to the powers that be at Cyclopark and they are absolutely not interested in hosting a WC round.

The obsession with London is driven by the belief that it would attract a large crowd and help grow the sport domestically. Sponsors, who are very much needed to fund the event, want to see substantial interest.
  • andyrac
    I guess hosting a WC is a hassle they can't be doing with, which in my opinion is pretty damning of Flanders Classics.

Yeah, I understand the London thinking, I just feel they're ignoring better places. If they find a London venue it's likely to be another flat park course......
  • andyp
    The intention was to host it in Crystal Palace Park. Having raced there a week ago, I can assure you it is anything but flat.
  • andyrac

Waterloo World Cup start lists; predictably small, with no Belgian women at all, and no British riders either.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    andyp said:

The intention was to host it in Crystal Palace Park. Having raced there a week ago, I can assure you it is anything but flat.

Haven't they done cross at Ally Pally as well? Very not flat
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp

andyp said:

Haven't they done cross at Ally Pally as well? Very not flat
    Yes, Rapha used to run their Supercross event there. The course was a few twists and turns on the flat bit at the bottom, then up the hill, up and down a bit and back down again.
  • Iserbyt the man to beat I the first World Cup this weekend.

Although Vincent Baestens has been winning all the chippers in America while the Belgians have been in Belgium
  • andyrac
    Baestaens is the classic 'journeyman CX pro' - and mops up the C1/2 races in the US, and has done for a few years. Then when the big boys turn up, he's lucky to get top 10.
    The sad fact is the top male US cyclists aren't in CX; they're off in gravel, road or MTB.

To preview the season is simple: the Dutch will dominate the women's, and the Belgian men to a lesser extent; depending on when MvdP, or Pidcock return.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    andyp said:

The course was a few twists and turns on the flat bit at the bottom, then up the hill, up and down a bit and back down again.

:smiley: Love it.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • andyp
    Fantastic opening round of the women's World Cup. No spoilers yet, but definitely worth a watch.
  • andyrac
    edited October 2022
    The women's race was by far the better one, as they usually are. And the men's race went according to form.

Lars returns home, and misses Fayyettville. Other top riders are either on post MTB/Road season rest (Vos, Pieterse) or racing in Europe (Vas).

Wout seems to be still in Australia, Tom is in California, and MvdP we know about.

Evie was at Waterloo, but didn't race as, to use her own words she "was too slow" currently.
  • pinno
    Yes, the women's race was good.
    Very dry conditions though. Not that technical as a result.
    I wonder what psi the tyres were run at.
  • andyrac
    edited October 2022
    2nd World Cup tonight in Fayettville, Arkansas.

From the photos/videos I've seen from earlier this weekend, it looked dry & fast again........
    One expects another close race in the women's and Eli to dominate the men's.

In other racing, both CX/MTB rivals Puck Pieterse & Line Burquier made their CX comebacks, and both won.
  • Sweeck and Eli are going so fast this season.

Would be great to think they might hang withTP, WvA and MVdP this winter, especially on some of the classic courses.
  • andyrac
    3rd World Cup of the season, in Tabor, Czech Rep.....

Van Empel going for a hat trick, as is Eli.
    Quinten Hermans made his comeback the other day, so it will be interesting to see where he is V the others.
  • andyp
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Women's race Tabor a good watch. Partic as it's wet outside here. Men's on now. That's my afternoon pretty well sorted.
  • orraloon
    Who is the informative female co-com with Rob H on today's races?
  • andyp
    orraloon said:

Helen Wyman.
  • andyrac
    They did the World Cup races for Red Bull back in the 2019/20 season....Personally, I think it works better than Marty & JPow.
  • orraloon
    andyp said:

orraloon said:

Helen Wyman.
    👍
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    andyrac said:

They did the World Cup races for Red Bull back in the 2019/20 season....Personally, I think it works better than Marty & JPow.

I would rather have Marty and Helen. Rob Hatch comes a close second to Carlton in getting excited over bu*ger all.
  • pinno
    Iserbyt: Sour grapes or genuine concern?