CX Season 2022/23.......

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    When was the last time three British men finished in the top 6 of a European C1 race?
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    Never ?
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It will be interesting to see how the lightweights who didn’t turn out today perform on New Year’s Day.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Were there more riders than The 3 in (that v good watch) race, thanks tv director. But yes excellent spectate.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    edited December 2022
    *SPOILER* *KIND OF*

Really looks to me like MvdP and WVA were quite the same in terms of FTP in the past with MvdP being superior technically, so he could pull out gaps from taking more speed into corners and exiting with a higher speed as well as getting through sand or the planks quicker as well. Now it seems WVA has made a large leap forwards as could be seen at the Tour and MvdP's technical advantage is no longer able to overcome the power difference.

Really wonder how it will shake out in the classics.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    m.r.m. said:

*SPOILER* *KIND OF*

Really looks to me like MvdP and WVA were quite the same in terms of FTP in the past with MvdP being superior technically, so he could pull out gaps from taking more speed into corners and exiting with a higher speed as well as getting through sand or the planks quicker as well. Now it seems WVA has made a large leap forwards as could be seen at the Tour and MvdP's technical advantage is no longer able to overcome the power difference.

Van Aert has always been the better rider in the deep mud, like yesterday. Van Der Poel can cope with it, but he's not as effective as Van Aert at pushing a big gear through it. At the same time, muddy conditions limit technical advantages as the speeds are much lower.

I wouldn't read any more than that into it. It's been a wet December in Belgium so conditions are heavy.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Eurosport has just dropped the first lap of yesterday's race entirely?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • m.r.m.
    edited December 2022
    andyp said:

m.r.m. said:

*SPOILER* *KIND OF*

Van Aert has always been the better rider in the deep mud, like yesterday. Van Der Poel can cope with it, but he's not as effective as Van Aert at pushing a big gear through it. At the same time, muddy conditions limit technical advantages as the speeds are much lower.

I wouldn't read any more than that into it. It's been a wet December in Belgium so conditions are heavy.
    Oh absolutely. Maybe I'm interpreting too much into it, but you are confirming my thought mostly. The wet mud requires more power and while WVA may have always been more powerful (he is a little heavier as well), maybe that gap has increased.

Pidcock being much lighter than both with technical skills on par with MvdP was struggling mightily in the wet mud.

I'm just wondering if maybe things have changed since the last Tour in that WVA has made a leap that MvdP has yet to follow if he can.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    MvdP would have won fairly convincingly yesterday but for a late error. And TP had no right to even be in the mix yesterday on a flat muddy course suited to pure power riders, it was an exceptional ride to stay in touch
  • m.r.m.
    He has had two races almost back to back where he would have won had he not made an error. The point being though that the error might have been made because he has had to go way deeper than ever before because his technical advantage isn't sufficient to ward off WVA anymore.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Although MVDP's tactic is flat out from the off. He even admits that that is the way he rides.
    If he left something in the tank then he would probably match WVA at the end.
    If you are out in front all the time, you're doing all the pace setting - which is hard to judge. Let WvA set the pace, stick to his wheel like glue, put the pressure on WvA, use more tactics.
    TP (with less power and weight than WvA and MvdP) follows wheels. How many times in a road breakaway is the winner in the group not necessarily the one with the strongest legs?
    It fact, it can be a distinct disadvantage.

[Slightly on a tangent - Evenepoel will have that problem]
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    edited January 2023
    Pidcock manages to throw to days race away by showboating and crashing.
    A bit of throwing your hands in the air too early type moment.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    webboo said:

Pidcock manages to throw to days race away by showboating and crashing.
    A bit of throwing your hands in the air too early type moment.

He’s a crowd pleaser. Don’t think or want him to change but that section was far too tricky to try a whip. Next time he has a 13 second lead maybe a wheelie across the line would suffice.

Anyway,Shame, had it in the bag.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • webboo
    He was doing them during the warm up and I think he did one in last years race. I wonder how bothered he is about riding cross these days. Is it just part of his training rather than he has things he wants to achieve.
    I suppose the start money makes it worth turning out.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    webboo said:

He was doing them during the warm up and I think he did one in last years race. I wonder how bothered he is about riding cross these days. Is it just part of his training rather than he has things he wants to achieve.

Well, he’s not doing the Worlds
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • seanoconn
    webboo said:

CX isn’t his priority but if he’s on the start line he wants to win. Tried to give the crowd something but didn’t pay off.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    The mini whip was okay, it was the next take off he got crossed up; it might make him think, especially when he only has a 10-15 sec lead.

I had to laugh at the over reaction from some people on social media; most of the top MTB-ers do it every race; Nino always does them, and Koreztky does a one handed whip....

However, as already said, CX is the definite third choice of his disciplines; and he wants a proper crack at the Spring classics, after last year he wasn't totally healthy.

And after that he wants that MTB World title that went wrong last year; he lost a kilo in the week before due to sickness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSaRQJh756Q

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Do we know if he sustained any injuries yet?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    edited January 2023
    Nasty off that for Pidders. And he wasn't the only rider doing those whips. Looked like his leg was bleeding as he finished.

Edited to add: just saw the post race interview with him, clearly shaken up, more concerned with the bruising under the bleeding.

Meanwhile Fem being Fem.
  • andyrac
    Remarkable how she's kept her form for so long; you'd expect a young rider to drop off. Maybe the time off the bike since Val di Sole was a blessing in disguise. And first time on the Cervelo-Sram bike - but appears to be still wearing Shimano Sphyre shoes....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • pinno
    TP: Add the pressure of expectation, maybe a bit of frustration at not riding the CX worlds, the desire to be liked by Dutch and Belgian fans, a desire to please fans full stop and just maybe... he wants to have some fun.
    I remember when Sagan was getting a whole load of stick for mucking around and doing wheelies and apparently not taking things seriously before his potential was realised and then look what happened.

Tom: you just carry on being Tom.
  • webboo
    As much as I enjoy his skills on a bike, I prefer it when he beats the pd.
  • andyp
    He's missing the X20 race at Herentals tomorrow due to the injuries sustained in the crash yesterday.

I'm all for showboating, but do it when the win is in the bag, not before.
  • andyrac
    andyp said:

I'm guessing you don't watch much MTB racing; quite a lot do it....look for Danny Hart's famous 2011 Worlds run.....

• seanoconn
    andyrac said:

andyp said:

I'm guessing you don't watch much MTB racing; quite a lot do it....look for Danny Hart's famous 2011 Worlds run.....

Did he crash too?
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when TP's coach or his boss at Ineos had a word...
  • pinno
    Remember to switch the sound off. Those commentators will irritate the pants off of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYgAX6D43Q
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    flite said:

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when TP's coach or his boss at Ineos had a word...

I doubt any of them really cared. It isn't like he threw away a road race.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • seanoconn
    Wout unimpressed with his bike today. Teething problems with SRAM maybe.
  • webboo
    I thought he had a rear wheel puncture just as he passed the pits.