CX Season 2022/23.......

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    edited November 2022
    Hard to get your head around Pidcock's talent and the fact he's only 23.
    I don't doubt that WvA will hit the cross season in form. MvdP might not if his head isn't in the right place after Knockandrungate, who knows?
    I hope to see TP matching and beating those two.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    pinno said:

I don't doubt that WvA will hit the cross season in form. MvdP might not if his head isn't in the right place after Knockandrungate, who knows?

I can't see pidcock competing with van aert. Last year van aert was riding away from these guys and winning by huge margins pretty much from the off.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    gsk82 said:

pinno said:

I can't see pidcock competing with van aert. Last year van aert was riding away from these guys and winning by huge margins pretty much from the off.
    Love Pidcock but at the moment still can’t see him finishing ahead of MVdP when push comes to shove and with WVA riding away from them both.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Some pretty short memories on here.
  • andyp
    For many years MVDP was the dominant player in cross, and he used to ride away from everyone consistently. WVA could sometimes get the better of him, especially in a proper mudder, but on head to heads, MVDP had a significant advantage.

A fully fit MVDP would be a match for a fully fit WVA even now, as the former has a skills advantage.
  • seanoconn
    andyp said:

Some pretty short memories on here.

Oh, we were talking circa 2022, I didn’t get the memo. I was talking current form. I hope MVdP get back to top form which will be interesting against WVA who seems to have gone up a level.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Pidcock took a Mountain bike world cup round ahead of MvdP in 2021.
    I'm sure he can match MvdP but WvA is a different ask but he is a year older with some great victories this year and he will only get better.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • gsk82
    Today's world cup race was on this morning to avoid a clash with the football. I'll avoid posting any spoilers until later in the day
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Hoping to get to the Dublin round of the World Cup.

I think it's *just* WVA confirmed for Dublin, doesn't seem to be on MVDPs schedule

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    pinno said:

Pidcock took a Mountain bike world cup round ahead of MvdP in 2021.
    I'm sure he can match MvdP but WvA is a different ask but he is a year older with some great victories this year and he will only get better.

Pidcock is better suited to MTB than MvdP, with the longer climbs; whereas the shorter more explosive CX courses tend to suit MvdP over Tom.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    WvA has rarely beaten the Boss in any cycling discipline when they're truely head to head. It WvA who needs to step up a level in CX, not MvdP.
  • gsk82

WvA has rarely beaten the Boss in any cycling discipline when they're truely head to head. It WvA who needs to step up a level in CX, not MvdP.

I feel like he did that last year, but van der poel wasn't there as a reference point.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    gsk82 said:

I feel like he did that last year, but van der poel wasn't there as a reference point.
    Wva is undoubtedly the better in the mountains. TTs it's marginal, as MvdP has rarely ridden a TT bike, but has been fast when he has. Classics it's MvdP everytime, and MvdP has regularly outsprinted WvA to win races.
  • andyrac
    Wout is more of a true road rider nowadays, and who seems to use CX for training, and probably because he enjoys it.
    Whereas MvdP is still not really as dedicated full time to the road, with MTB, CX and doesn't bother too much with the parts that aren't suited to him; climbing, TT-ing, etc

While it's understandable why people compare them, they are actually quite different riders. Put it this way, I couldn't see MvdP with the leaders on a mountain stage of the Tour like Wout does. However, MvdP can take on and beat the best on the XC MTB circuit.......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Just caught up on the men's race, good watch. No spoilers 😊 I like the Hulst course, though doubt I'd enjoy riding it myself.
  • andyrac
    https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/puck-pieterse-als-het-zo-blijft-gaan-start-ik-op-het-wk-veldrijden-bij-de-elite/

Puck is considering moving to the Elites for the Worlds. She's already moving to the Elites on the MTB.
  • Thanks to all who responded to my question re dedicated cx news website.

Cheers.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Was really impressed by Pidcock's bike handling in Hulst. Was on par or even better than MvdP in places. Pidcock didn't skid or slide off as much.
    This could also be down to MvdP wanting too much at times and putting down too much power in muddy conditions.

Pidcock also hampered by the running section with the huge ramp where MvdP's height was a clear advantage.

That being said MvdP by and large is just head and shoulders above everyone else in CX. WVA clearly took a big step in this years TdF, so it will be interesting to see if that translates to CX.
    MvdP looked utterly dominant in his first race back. Would love to see him take this form and progression from this into the road season. Maybe he will take a similar step next season to what WVA did in 2022.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    edited November 2022
    Someone posted a stat in another forum of MvdP being 90-39 and 40-1 against WVA and Pidcock respectively in CX. There isn't really a "big three" based off of that stat.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • tailwindhome

Hoping to get to the Dublin round of the World Cup.

I think it's *just* WVA confirmed for Dublin, doesn't seem to be on MVDPs schedule

Tickets and hotel booked.

Yeowww
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • orraloon
    Nowt to do with the pro events but just something that intrigues me.

Just 10 days after the local CX event down in the lochside park, a proper mudfest, the churned up tracks now look green, a brighter green than the unchurned areas. That seems really fast to move from mudbath back to grassy.

Bet the (rather few) local whingers remain unimpressed.
  • andyp
    Our local league has an info pack for race organisers that includes pictures of venues the day after an event, the week after, four weeks after and three months after. Whilst it looks bad the day after, there is usually no long term damage at most venues.
  • tailwindhome
    Pidcock on the start list for Dublin :)
  • seanoconn

Pidcock on the start list for Dublin :)

We want pictures 👍
  • Hi

Is there a website that covers news and reports for cx at all?

Cheers.

https://cyclocross.social/ is my go to
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pidcock runs over MVP in order to win todays Super Prestige in Boom.
  • orraloon
    Bit of a bang down there for MvdP. Future impact?
  • andyp
    webboo said:

Pidcock runs over MVP in order to win todays Super Prestige in Boom.

Reports that Pidcock told him, "You can't park there, mate" in the aftermath are unconfirmed.
  • andyrac
    Good to see a new winner in the women's race; Aniek van Alphen.....

And Pidcock winning the men's after MvdP's slide out; his form seems decent, but the skills are still a bit rusty.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    orraloon said:

Bit of a bang down there for MvdP. Future impact?

Not looking like it today
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format