Mourning stupidity

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    We didn't really go to places as neither parent drove until I was about 10 but I don't recall ever being particularly bored as a little kid back then.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    This isn't so much mourning stupidity but more mourning comedy....

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    I was surprised at the numbers being quoted for shuffling past the coffin. 250,000 seemed low but it works out at roughly one person per second over the 3 days (it also felt like it went on for more than 3 days though!).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    edited September 2022

Worst big by far was almost everything shutting down. Found yesterday quite the struggle with the little one. Only so many hours you can spend at a heaving playground. Thought that was far f@cking too much and spoke of a real fear (of being seen as “disrespectful”).

Do you ever wonder how parents managed before the 1980s? Do you think it must have been hell?
    There's a good reason I'm very pro economic development and growth.

But even then, surely they went to places like the national trust, English heritage etc.

Even places we went to in lockdown were shut yesterday.

I know you are somewhat ambivalent about the countryside but can you not pop out to a local bit of woodland or the like. In a lot of cases NT estates are open year round even if the housr/tea room/gift shop is shut. Similar with EH. Not sure if Huntingdon is too far away but there is a good country park in Brampton which is I think open all year round. Granted yesterday may have been different but that should be done with for a while at least.

Sorry to hear about your situation, by the way.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • To be fair much was closed on Monday, but it was hardly news.

Go to the shops (or order in) some supplies for Monday - make a picnic, go to a different park / river / meadow - fly a kite, explore some woods.

I sympathise with your situation but this just comes across as extremely poor planning
  • MattFalle
    Tbh i'm in shock he's claiming lockdown PTSD because the local Morrissons was closed for a day.
  • My initial plan was to watch the Westminster Abbey service then go out for a 70m commemorative ride, a mile for each year of her reign. Then found myself strangely hooked on the subsequent procession as far as the handover to the hearse. So then I only had time for a 50 miler if I was to avoid coming home to a dinner in the dog scenario.

I suppose I could go metric and say I more than managed a kilometer per year...

The roads were gloriously deserted :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,559
    edited September 2022
    as a kid in the 60s, entertainment was: read a book or go out and wander

had the key to the gardens in sloane street but they were pretty small, mostly wandered/cycled in hyde park, or sent toy boats across the pond in kensington gardens

the south ken museums were good, science museum was way better back then than the dumbed-down sideshow it's become

sunday was the deadest day of all, when the midnight shop opened on brompton road it was truly revolutionary, a shop that was open every day, until late!, sensational! i still remember the tiny deli and the excellent range of imported snack foods, still have fond memories of the plain chocolate langues de chat

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2022
    Parents were too busy grafting to rsise brother and I in trad way so fairly feral - up at 8, grab brekkie, head out to meet friends. Gawd knows what we got up to.

If we saw 'rents in morning it was a bonus.

Home for tea at 6 for quick catch up with mother parent if not at a friend's house then she went back to work. Home as sun setting if at friend's house/out and about then sort ourselves out.

Not saying we were hard done by in any way, its just the way it was.
  • Kid life sure was busy for me, as much of it outdoors as possible.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,426
    OH and I went to beach to try out our new wetsuits. 60 miles each way and it was relatively quiet but still quite a few out and about. We spent a pleasant 45 minutes in the sea bobbing around like well fed seals before drying off and going on a 4 hour coastal walk. Got back and watched a bit of the repeats on BBC. Very sad. Felt sorry for HRH Charles and family having to live through all that so publically. I guess it really hit home yesterday. I know what it is like on the run-up to funerals having burried both parents and the MiL. So much to do you don't have time to grieve until the actual event itself which is like a pressure valve releasing.
    I share their relief that it is all over now.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    As we're doing parenting moments, I spent the whole weekend inside toilet training my daughter. I'm sure it was what the Queen wanted.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    The farmers I witnessed during my vigil of silence had clearly decided to keep calm and carry on. I think the Queen would have approved.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross said:

I was surprised at the numbers being quoted for shuffling past the coffin. 250,000 seemed low but it works out at roughly one person per second over the 3 days (it also felt like it went on for more than 3 days though!).

I thought the same, that it was a lot more. I guess it seems that way because of the daily media coverage and TV interviews with people in the queue. Hopefully there are less voluntary serfs out there than has been suggested in the last 10 days or so.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,550
    With the rolling news coverage, each of the 250,000 probably got interviewed 3 times.
  • MattFalle
    Bear in mind as well some people went past more than once - I think someone went past 7 times or something mad?

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    edited September 2022

then did 90 minutes on zwift in the evening.

Et tu DeV? 😢
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

then did 90 minutes on zwift in the evening.

Et tu DeV? 😢
    Yes afraid so - it's addictive once you give in and get it. I just don't have the motivation to ride outside much at the moment.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2022

wtaf? why oh why oh why would you do this?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,550
    Why is that leprechaun so much taller than the deformed bear?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Sadly, it's not an isolated case.

A quick google finds two more...

The older I get, the better I was.

• MattFalle
    its just bewildering. we don't understand.

and what's the whole Paddington thing? is he dead as well? he must be otherwise he couldn't take her to meet her dead husband.

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Don't try bringing logic into it.

but to come to that, would you honestly trust Paddington to take you anywhere? Let alone metaphysical journey.

The older I get, the better I was.

• MattFalle said:

and what's the whole Paddington thing? is he dead as well? he must be otherwise he couldn't take her to meet her dead husband.

He's the modern day Charon, his fee for transporting the dead to the underworld is a marmalade sandwich placed in the mouth of the deceased.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

He's the modern day Charon, his fee for transporting the dead to the underworld is a marmalade sandwich placed in the mouth of the deceased.
    😄😄😄👍👍
  • Paddington 3 promises to be a VERY different film from the first two.
  • MattFalle
    PB with a sickle tracking down old people....
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,426
    Paddington 3 - The Post Conservative Dystopia

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle said:

Ah, not the PB of this parish. I was wondering what you knew about him that had been kept secret from the rest of us.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Ah, not the PB of this parish. I was wondering what you knew about him that had been kept secret from the rest of us.
    you mean you didn't know?????

we thought it was an open secret.