Mourning stupidity

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,460

I just went for a bike ride and ended up chatting to a poorly friend for four hours instead (and she showed me the Merlin app for identifying bird calls, which I'll have to hedge-test tomorrow). A bit more sunshine and it would have been lovely, pretty empty roads and all that.

Had a bird call identifying app. Almost every call analysed identified as a house sparrow, even when there are no sparrows in the vicinity and you’re pointing the phone directly at a lone chirping Robin (yes I can spot a robin) I’m sure the picture identifier also included in the app would work but you can’t get close enough to the buggers to take a decent picture. Plant identifying apps work very well.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,952

Is this the greatest "Phil Space" of the week?

And the men would have tipped her out of her coffin.

This, if you don't get the reference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k7mpnPJWDo&ab_channel=hijazna

The older I get, the better I was.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,344

Pross said:

Just saw a few minutes of the funeral. I wouldn’t have wanted the job of the coffin bearers, it was bad enough when I did the job for my cousins funeral all I had to do was lift it if the gurney and take a few steps then lower it at the cemetery. I was terrified I’d drop her.

Up on the shoulders, doing fancy turns and going up steps with hundreds of millions watching would have been a definite drop and / or falling over!

The coffin reportedly weighed between 250-317 kg!
    It was the same 8 soldiers at all the London 'movings'.
    So a bit more than a laptop each! (Unless it was a 1970s laptop of course!)
    The estimated global TV audience was 4 billion, so about half the world's population.
    30-40kg on your shoulders isn't too bad, but you'd want to tread pretty carefully!

Find the audience hard to believe. What counts as tuning in?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,935
    So going into the death I was hoping for lots of interesting historical stuff.

I was quite disappointed.

Best bit was the swearing in.

Worst big by far was almost everything shutting down. Found yesterday quite the struggle with the little one. Only so many hours you can spend at a heaving playground. Thought that was far f@cking too much and spoke of a real fear (of being seen as “disrespectful”).

Second worst was certainly the relentless fortnight of hagiographical drivel without any critical voice there. By the end it had out and out propoganda vibes. You’d think the woman was some kind of saint rather than a relatively hard working women who knew to keep her mouth shut.

I get it, she’s dead so you’re hardly gonna have people walking all over her grave but come on.
  • Well worth a beach trip for the day. Roads and coast was totally deserted.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Remember as well that those fellas were lifting all that day in ceremonial uniform - its mad v tight, v uncomfortable, v hot.

braces pulling trousers into crevices you didn't know existed, really uncomfortable boots, stupid belts, deffo deffo not designed to lift and shift in.

rather them than me. fellas done v good.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Just saw a few minutes of the funeral. I wouldn’t have wanted the job of the coffin bearers, it was bad enough when I did the job for my cousins funeral all I had to do was lift it if the gurney and take a few steps then lower it at the cemetery. I was terrified I’d drop her.

Up on the shoulders, doing fancy turns and going up steps with hundreds of millions watching would have been a definite drop and / or falling over!

The estimated global TV audience was 4 billion, so about half the world's population.
    I find that very hard to take seriously, especially as @ half would be asleep.
    I really do not know why they come out with carp like this that is so easily disproved with a seconds thought. I will add those without access to TV to your sleepers
  • So going into the death I was hoping for lots of interesting historical stuff.

I was quite disappointed.

Best bit was the swearing in.

Worst big by far was almost everything shutting down. Found yesterday quite the struggle with the little one. Only so many hours you can spend at a heaving playground. Thought that was far f@cking too much and spoke of a real fear (of being seen as “disrespectful”).

Second worst was certainly the relentless fortnight of hagiographical drivel without any critical voice there. By the end it had out and out propoganda vibes. You’d think the woman was some kind of saint rather than a relatively hard working women who knew to keep her mouth shut.

I get it, she’s dead so you’re hardly gonna have people walking all over her grave but come on.

as a counterpoint can say that I found it nowhere near as bad as when Diana died. Maybe it is the proliferation of media channels but i found it very easy to ignore.
  • Worst big by far was almost everything shutting down. Found yesterday quite the struggle with the little one. Only so many hours you can spend at a heaving playground. Thought that was far f@cking too much and spoke of a real fear (of being seen as “disrespectful”).

Do you ever wonder how parents managed before the 1980s? Do you think it must have been hell?
  • rick_chasey

Do you ever wonder how parents managed before the 1980s? Do you think it must have been hell?
    There's a good reason I'm very pro economic development and growth.

But even then, surely they went to places like the national trust, English heritage etc.

Even places we went to in lockdown were shut yesterday.

• Worst big by far was almost everything shutting down. Found yesterday quite the struggle with the little one. Only so many hours you can spend at a heaving playground. Thought that was far f@cking too much and spoke of a real fear (of being seen as “disrespectful”).

I expect that he is composing a heartfelt apology to all Boomers
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,727

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I really do not know why they come out with carp like this that is so easily disproved with a seconds thought. I will add those without access to TV to your sleepers
    There is some ridiculous industry standard method that counts 15 min views as independent viewers, so if one person watched 8 hours, they count as 32.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,920

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

There is some ridiculous industry standard method that counts 15 min views as independent viewers, so if one person watched 8 hours, they count as 32.
    That accounts for my many wives then. 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,920

But even then, surely they went to places like the national trust, English heritage etc.

As alluded to above that is what Sundays used to be like, all the time.
    FWIW, I think there are some in power who would like a return to those days. Beware.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Pross said:

No I don't believe anything we are told about it. I didn't watch a minute over the 10 days - probably about 30 seconds as I clicked through channels and accidentally landed on pictures of a coffin. I'm half surprised one of the presenters didn't crack and give us their true feelings about the whole charade but I suppose the likes of Huw Edwards have made a mint out of the extra hours.

Went for a long walk with the wife yesterday, ended at a pub that had stayed open, got home and had some food then did 90 minutes on zwift in the evening.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

I can't remember what we did when I was two (probably have been read stories n stuff), but later on we'd have gone for local walks, played board games or with toys, gone to the local park with friends to kick a ball around, done all the sorts of stuff children have done for centuries before the arrival of the internet and everything else that's taken for granted now.

And no, it wasn't hell. But I know you won't believe me. Contentment can be found elsewhere than spending money. Radical, eh?
  • PS, and no, we didn't do all the National Trust and other £ jazz, as parents didn't have a car, and couldn't afford much.

I suspect occasionally I was bored, but that's no bad thing, from time to time. Once in 70 years doesn't seem too terrible or too onerous, on balance.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2022

I can't remember what we did when I was two (probably have been read stories n stuff), but later on we'd have gone for local walks, played board games or with toys, gone to the local park with friends to kick a ball around, done all the sorts of stuff children have done for centuries before the arrival of the internet and everything else that's taken for granted now.

And no, it wasn't hell. But I know you won't believe me. Contentment can be found elsewhere than spending money. Radical, eh?
    TBH, if it was like that every Sunday, I wouldn't have bought a small house for the convenience of being near stuff, right?

If half the time I'm not working everything is shut it's not worth living in a shoebox.

Everything comes back to the same issues.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,344

PS, and no, we didn't do all the National Trust and other £ jazz, as parents didn't have a car, and couldn't afford much.

I suspect occasionally I was bored, but that's no bad thing, from time to time. Once in 70 years doesn't seem too terrible or too onerous, on balance.

"We were happy in those days, although we were poor"
    "Because we were poor!"

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono

TBH, if it was like that every Sunday, I wouldn't have bought a small house for the convenience of being near stuff, right?

If half the time I'm not working everything is shut it's not worth living in a shoebox.

It's just that I'm slightly bemused that your family contentment relies so heavily on other people providing services to keep you entertained, whether you live in the middle of a city or in the sticks. It's not like the day wasn't flagged up rather heavily...

Everything comes back to the same issues.
    see it as a theme park to experience what life was like in the 1980s.

everything was just a bit sh1t but you try to tell that to kids these days and they don't believe you
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2022

It's just that I'm slightly bemused that your family contentment relies so heavily on other people providing services to keep you entertained, whether you live in the middle of a city or in the sticks. It's not like the day wasn't flagged up rather heavily...
    Look, don't be a d!ck.

It's now about "other people providing services". It's about being able to get out of the house that isn't just walking down a road.

All I need is a national trust or a garden or somewhere where dogs don't run at my daughter and knock her over or sh!t everywhere. Or somewhere nice to go for lunch or a coffee.

You lot are remarkably good at judging other people for how they live their lives. I'd not very politely suggest you don't know half the story.

I'm certainly glad people like you aren't my grandparents, christ.

If you must know, my wife is also going through a miscarriage at the moment, so she was in pretty bad shape, so I didn't have the time to schlep over to the sticks to give my little one the run around or head to the beach or whatever.

It was pretty grim. So please, f*ck off.

I'd have loved to just take the family out for a nice lunch to cheer us all up.
  • MattFalle

this, exactly.

Rick has to entertain child for a hot, sunny day in a perfectly safe first world country and cracks up.

it's just bit, well, sad really.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, it was pretty sad, Matt.

• It was pretty grim. So please, f*ck off.

I'll go for a bike ride in the sun later, if that counts.
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2022

Yeah, it was pretty sad, Matt.

Look, don't be a d!ck.

It's now about "other people providing services". It's about being able to get out of the house that isn't just walking down a road.

All I need is a national trust or a garden or somewhere where dogs don't run at my daughter and knock her over or sh!t everywhere. Or somewhere nice to go for lunch or a coffee.

You lot are remarkably good at judging other people for how they live their lives. I'd not very politely suggest you don't know half the story.

If you must know, my wife is also going through a miscarriage at the moment, so she was in pretty bad shape, so I didn't have the time to schlep over to the sticks to give my little one the run around or head to the beach or whatever.

Sorry to hear that and best wishes for the weeks ahead
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,884

Up until the early 90s that was basically a standard Sunday. I remember getting vouchers off relatives for Christmas as a kid and having to wait what felt like eons for Woolworths to open after Christmas so I could spend them.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,884

Look, don't be a d!ck.

Sorry to hear about your own position but the bit in bold is pretty much peak irony from you I'm afraid.
  • A Winter Sunday in the early 1980s, dark outside, still decades pre internet, you've got some early video games console so could play a game of "tennis" (basically a white rectangle that you can move vertically to bat a white square backwards and forwards on a black screen) with one of your brothers except your dad is pretending to watch Songs of Praise so the TV (one per house rather than per room back then) is already in use.

You could retire to your bedroom except you share it with your two older brothers and one of them is practicing guitar in there.

You could go to the local youth club or knock about with a gang of lads off the estate except you have been born into a suburban middle class life - there is no estate, gang of lads, or youth club - so these things don't raise themselves as options.

God it was grim.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]