Energy thread

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    edited August 2022
    morstar said:

Having lived in houses with no central heating on two occasions, I am maybe more aware of what it is like than many.
    But we always had a gas fire. Living without at least the gas fire (or alternative) seems unimaginable.
    If it’s a really cold winter like a couple of years back, you simply can’t live through winter without some form of heat.

Only heating we ever have upstairs is in the bathroom, and bedroom windows are always cracked open. This applied to the winters of 2010/2011 & 2011/2012 and the Beast from the East. No exceptions, never cold.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Also with the people who have the temperature at 18 or less, do you not find it makes getting err romantic rather tricky?

Can’t stand having to try and do it under the blankets else you’re shivering. Grim.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Having lived in houses with no central heating on two occasions, I am maybe more aware of what it is like than many.
    But we always had a gas fire. Living without at least the gas fire (or alternative) seems unimaginable.
    If it’s a really cold winter like a couple of years back, you simply can’t live through winter without some form of heat.

Only heating we ever have upstairs is in the bathroom, and bedroom windows are always cracked open. This applied to the winters of 2010/2011 & 2011/2012 and the Beast from the East. No exceptions, never cold.
    So there is heat in the house.
    My point is that living in a house with no heat in a long cold winter does not seem possible to me.
    Having some very cold rooms is not unusual or intolerable.
  • pblakeney
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

My point is that living in a house with no heat in a long cold winter does not seem possible to me.
    Yes, there is heat in the house, but at a level some would find intolerable. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2022

Also with the people who have the temperature at 18 or less, do you not find it makes getting err romantic rather tricky?

Can’t stand having to try and do it under the blankets else you’re shivering. Grim.

If you're shivering in a cool room then you are doing it wrong. 😉
    In fact, mid summer heatwave is a much worse proposition.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,959

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Sure. I have no clue what I'm using other than the snapshot metre readings which I then have to convert and it's a faff.

Curious. What do you have to convert?
    well the reading into what I've used in kilowatts and then the price per kilowatt.

I run the house pretty hot so I have quite a bit of savings to be made this winter, but it'd be nice to know how much ahead of time.
    I can see the point in that but a smart meter won't do that for you either.
    (Mine didn't anyway and as smart meters don't know future costs...)
    Sure but it does tell you real time what you've spent that day
    Is it really going to be that bad for you? I guess I'm already used to keeping the house at 15-18C, and my cut backs will be less use of the electric oil heaters. This might even force me into the office.
    Good point, some of the enthusiasm for working at home may reduce when people see their energy bills this winter.
    Depends on mode of travel, but I still thinknit will be cheaper for many people to stay at home.

Still getting my head around how both a warm summer day and a freezing cold office can both be 18 degrees.
    Warm summer’s day at 18? Come off it. I wear arm warmers on the bike for anything under 20.

What are you doing when it gets over 30?!
    For me that's going to be on holiday. So swimmiing most likely.

But seriously, it's 18 c and sunny outside. What do you wear? It's not long johns a scarf and a puffer jacket* is it?

(*not an exhaustive list of cold weather garments, nor intended to describe a complete outfit, merely illustrative)
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Sure. I have no clue what I'm using other than the snapshot metre readings which I then have to convert and it's a faff.

well the reading into what I've used in kilowatts and then the price per kilowatt.

I run the house pretty hot so I have quite a bit of savings to be made this winter, but it'd be nice to know how much ahead of time.
    Is it really going to be that bad for you? I guess I'm already used to keeping the house at 15-18C, and my cut backs will be less use of the electric oil heaters. This might even force me into the office.
    Good point, some of the enthusiasm for working at home may reduce when people see their energy bills this winter.
    Depends on mode of travel, but I still thinknit will be cheaper for many people to stay at home.

Still getting my head around how both a warm summer day and a freezing cold office can both be 18 degrees.
    Warm summer’s day at 18? Come off it. I wear arm warmers on the bike for anything under 20.

But seriously, it's 18 c and sunny outside. What do you wear? It's not long johns a scarf and a puffer jacket* is it?

(*not an exhaustive list of cold weather garments, nor intended to describe a complete outfit, merely illustrative)
    Hat (like a cap) and a light jacket. Something warmer if it isn’t sunny
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

You need to do some exercise to get the metabolism going. Ever thought of taking up 🚴‍♀️
  • First.Aspect

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Hat and a light jacket. Something warmer if it isn’t sunny
    Mmm. The hat I get I suppose, given your affliction.

I'd be in shorts, a t shirt and a hoodie most likely. Full zip though in case I got too hot.

On the plus side RC where you live it's not going to snow in the winter. So what the Lord taketh with one hand, he giveth with the other.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Are you sure you're Dutch and not Italian?
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I'd be in shorts, a t shirt and a hoodie most likely. Full zip though in case I got too hot.

On the plus side RC where you live it's not going to snow in the winter. So what the Lord taketh with one hand, he giveth with the other.
    Shorts? Bahaha.

Flip side is I found the heatwaves pretty manageable.

Not even a fan.
  • pblakeney

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Shorts? Bahaha.
    I wear shorts for cycling @ 10C+. I wear shorts for casual wear @ 16C+.
    Just shows how different people are.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Given how worried you are with these energy price hikes, count yourself lucky that you live in the balmy SE.
    In the North and the West, 18C is considered mild and pleasant.
    Probably equivalent to 22-23C where you are.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • First.Aspect

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Shorts? Bahaha.

Flip side is I found the heatwaves pretty manageable.

Not even a fan.
    What's a heat wave?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Yes, there is heat in the house, but at a level some would find intolerable. 😉
    Must admit, the central heating has softened us up over the years but I envisage it being set around 14 next winter when my current deal expires.
  • I am quite amazed at the disparity in what people think is the right temp. For me it is 20C downstairs and 17C in bedrooms.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    I bet their are Inuits on the Igloo forums taking the p1ss out of us right now.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Shorts? Bahaha.
    That can’t be good for your knees.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    edited August 2022

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Trying to move as little as possible. I have to bite my tongue when people wang on about how lovely the hot weather is.

More seriously, your perception of comfort in a space is related to the temperature of surfaces as well as air temperature. So 18C in a well insulated house will feel more comfortable than 18C in a house where the inside face of the external walls is already at, say, 12C.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904

pblakeney said:

Gas unit on meter x 11.0786 = Kwh

unit rate x kwh = cost in pennies so divide by 100 for Pounds.

Wholesale price in therms, measured in units, priced in pennies per kwh and paid for in pounds. Transparent billing for mathematicians 😂
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Shorts? Bahaha.
    That can’t be good for your knees.
    At my age I think I'd know by know if there were any detrimental effects.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    The other thing to think about is the added inflation and unemployment it’s going to cause. My friend is a department head at a smallish engineering company , their electricity bill last year was £100,000 . Their energy bill on the cheapest new deal will be one million a year ! The company only turns over 5 million a year . He has just been told to make 25% of his department redundant but he doesn’t think that will be enough and the company will be bust by this time next year 😕.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

The big difference is that at home you are not moving as much, so your body doesn't generate as much heat.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    Nordstream 1 officially stops pumping gas.

“For maintenance”

(I write this as I pass 2 abandoned gas stores on the train 🙄)
  • First.Aspect

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

The big difference is that at home you are not moving as much, so your body doesn't generate as much heat.
    You are a wealth of knowledge BB.

There's no need for a house or workplace to be kept at 24C, which too many of them are.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    Just going back to jumpers - I find the best thing for keeping warm are merino base layers. I recommend Decathlon walking base layers.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    Yes thanks. ANyone know of any decent v necked thermal layers? Struggling to find any that are available. Much more helpful under shirts for video calls etc.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

Yes thanks. ANyone know of any decent v necked thermal layers? Struggling to find any that are available. Much more helpful under shirts for video calls etc.

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/heattech-v-neck-thermal-t-shirt-450526.html

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/heattech-v-neck-long-sleeved-thermal-top-456803.html
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Aha they are back in stock excellent. Were sold out last week
  • Here is an interesting solution from The Times

could the government still influence the present market? At its heart is the “merit order”: a ranking system, set by the marginal cost of the last generating unit needed to meet demand over each half-hour period. The likes of wind and solar come on first because they’re cheapest to run. But the electricity price is set by the last unit brought online, which is invariably a gas-generating plant. The upshot? Consumer bills are being set by gas costs, up 14-fold in a year — at least before yesterday’s thankful drop.

It’s nuts because the marginal cost of renewables, which last year made up almost half of Britain’s energy consumption, hasn’t changed. Yet everyone has to pay the gas price. How could you decouple it, an issue the EU is also examining? There’s no quick fix. But the latest from research firm Cornwall Insight, as disclosed in The Times over the weekend, is a brighter idea than most. It reckons the government should subsidise the cost of gas burnt in power stations, so bringing down wholesale prices and preventing old solar, wind and nuclear plants lucking out on the ballooning cost of gas. It sees savings of tens of billions of pounds. Everyone’s bills would fall. But the subsidy could be funded via general taxation, with the rich paying more.

So, what’s the catch? That older renewable plants could sue over government intervention in the market and demand compensation — not least over hedging policies or for contracts sold forward at lower prices. Yet, as SSE boss Alistair Phillips-Davies argued in the Financial Times, one option could be a “voluntary scheme” where they’d forgo present windfall gains in return for new 15-year fixed-price contracts — at near-certain higher returns than their original business plans. Stifel analyst Iain Scouller thinks many renewable funds would agree to this, as it would bring them dividend “stability”, while getting them off the hook for a windfall tax.

There’d be other issues too, not least the need for Britain to levy an export tax on power sold via interconnectors. But none of these are insurmountable. And, while the figures need to be crunched, the plan would cut bills and inflation, while providing a stepping stone to proper energy market reform. The new PM should look at it pronto.