Energy thread

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Sounds like a good idea.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,959
    rjsterry said:

Sounds like a good idea.

The last sentence of the article makes me nervous.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Sounds like a good idea.

The last sentence of the article makes me nervous.
    Well, sure. I think we are at the point where we need to just bypass obstacles like that. Either help or GTFOOTW.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,049
    Possible small catch in the last sentence of the second paragraph, as I'm sure the definition of 'rich' will be pretty broad if they want to get enough money in.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Possible small catch in the last sentence of the second paragraph, as I'm sure the definition of 'rich' will be pretty broad if they want to get enough money in.

Assumed that would be higher rate payers as an easy identifier.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

So that would be quite broad as it covers everyone making over £50k a year. Seem to recall seeing in the news recently that a good proportion of people earning close to that amount might need help with their bills...
    https://theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/27/people-earning-45000-could-struggle-with-bills-says-chancellor
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

So that would be quite broad as it covers everyone making over £50k a year. Seem to recall seeing in the news recently that a good proportion of people earning close to that amount might need help with their bills...
    https://theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/27/people-earning-45000-could-struggle-with-bills-says-chancellor
    Well yes. If it's not broad it doesn't raise much money, does it?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Sure, but a lot less help than the 85% of the population who earn under £50k.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    How many people are in the 40% bracket? About 4 and a half million.
  • pangolin

Adds up, about 15% of the working population.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

Yes thanks. ANyone know of any decent v necked thermal layers? Struggling to find any that are available. Much more helpful under shirts for video calls etc.

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/heattech-v-neck-thermal-t-shirt-450526.html

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/heattech-v-neck-long-sleeved-thermal-top-456803.html
    Bought 3 by the way.
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I guess it depends when the tax is collected. Certainly no point robbing Peter to pay Paul, but generally, I think the broader the better.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

So potentially people who will be helped with their energy bills might be asked to pay more tax to fund it...

Still, its only a proposal on the interweb at present.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well yes. If it's not broad it doesn't raise much money, does it?
    Well deduced.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Certainly no point robbing Peter to pay Paul
    I just posted something to the same effect.
  • Stevo_666

Why not just borrow the money? As you've explained before there's no real limit to national debt.
  • pangolin
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

So potentially people who will be helped with their energy bills might be asked to pay more tax to fund it...

We do it currently don't we? There are large chunks of income brackets where people pay tax then get some back for things like child benefit.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Why not just borrow the money? As you've explained before there's no real limit to national debt.
    So I am all for borrowing to improve growth & productivity, right?

That pays for itself many times over. Absolute numbers don't matter, doubly so when you're growing.

Alas, a decade and a half of no growth has rather blunted the ability to borrow down the road.

A lot of borrowing will be happening anyway as we are going to go into a pretty chunky recession, so I doubt there is that much room left over, without better evidence that there is growth at the end of the tunnel.

So far, there are very few indicators that Britain can shake off the productivity problem.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,959

Stevo_666 said:

That pays for itself many times over. Absolute numbers don't matter, doubly so when you're growing.

Alas, a decade and a half of no growth has rather blunted the ability to borrow down the road.

A lot of borrowing will be happening anyway as we are going to go into a pretty chunky recession, so I doubt there is that much room left over, without better evidence that there is growth at the end of the tunnel.

So far, there are very few indicators that Britain can shake off the productivity problem.
    That's because we are lazy.

Liz said so.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited August 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

What would you suggest to avoid that?
  • Stevo_666 said:

you are right, let's go back to doing nothing
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

Stevo_666 said:

What happened to your belief in free markets?
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

tto

On the hand, no different to receiving child benefit and then getting it taxed back.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666 said:

reading that article it suggests the problem is caused by Govt intervention in the market
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

Stevo_666 said:

reading that article it suggests the problem is caused by Govt intervention in the market
    Not sure that is really the case.
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

We do it currently don't we? There are large chunks of income brackets where people pay tax then get some back for things like child benefit.
    We do in other areas, but regardless of that, what's the point?

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

You said that, not me.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

tto

On the hand, no different to receiving child benefit and then getting it taxed back.
    But as above, what's the point?

You just said above that there's no point robbing Peter to pay Paul.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022

Stevo_666 said:

On this note, rates on gilts rose at their fastest in 35 years today.

In the same way I was saying that markets were telling the govt to borrow more when rates were low, as rates go higher the markets are saying we want you to borrow less.