Energy thread

Comments

• Blazing - you posted “that will save billions that can go on protecting bankers’ bonuses”.

That is simply wrong in factual terms for the reasons I gave. Public spending does not feed into or otherwise protect bankers’ bonuses.

The bonus cap was a purely political move from the EU commission doubtless to try and aid Macron in his ongoing attempts to neuter London as the premier financial centre in Europe. It has censored all to do with actual remuneration for as Rick points out, banks will always find a way to remunerate the staff they want to remunerate.

a calmer interpretation is that bonuses were seen as encouraging risk taking.

I obviouslydo not think Govt's should have any role in remuneration policies of private companies
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,047

Blazing - you posted “that will save billions that can go on protecting bankers’ bonuses”.

That is simply wrong in factual terms for the reasons I gave. Public spending does not feed into or otherwise protect bankers’ bonuses.

The bonus cap was a purely political move from the EU commission doubtless to try and aid Macron in his ongoing attempts to neuter London as the premier financial centre in Europe. It has censored all to do with actual remuneration for as Rick points out, banks will always find a way to remunerate the staff they want to remunerate.

This, basically. Which is why it needs to go as a matter of principle.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    edited October 2022

The new chancellor has nailed it.
    Remove the energy cap and the triple lock on state pensions. That should see a good percentage of the oldies freezing or starving this winter. That will save billions which can go to protecting bankers bonuses and energy company “windfall free” share bonuses.

Not sure I get the logic behind the bankers’ bonus rant. (I get the emotional element, obviously!)

Bankers’ bonus are paid by shareholders and are subject to income tax. So letting them increase is distribution from evil shareholders to deserving causes via HMRC.
    For the last time **it won’t make a difference to their pay**

They raised base salaries to compensate the cap on 100% of base.

Who’s gonna give up a big base salary?

You’ll get the odd headline massive number but for the most part it won’t change a thing for at least the next 5 years.

Meanwhile they’re gonna get hit a big windfall tax by the sounds of it so the bonus pot will be *even smaller*.

Some people might give up some of the base if offered more of the upside. It's a good hedge for everyone.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Because banks have been so good at fulfilling bonus promises recently…
  • TheBigBean
    edited October 2022

Because banks have been so good at fulfilling bonus promises recently…

I'd only do the swap for something contractual e.g. x% of the profit. Also, there are a lot of salary increases going on, so removing cap provides another mechanism to retain people.

Over the last 10 years, my lowest earning year was 1/6 of the peak. Obviously not great, but does hedge the company very well.
  • Blazing - you posted “that will save billions that can go on protecting bankers’ bonuses”.

a calmer interpretation is that bonuses were seen as encouraging risk taking.
    I believe that was the official reason for the cap, but you'd need to be very naive to take it at face value!

• wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,510
    edited October 2022
    Duplicate.
  • I'm not on Direct Debit, so I get billed every month by E.ON, I prefer it this way, so I can keep track of spending, rather than having to add up KWh...
    Anyway, this month, courtesy of the previous government, my bill was £5... as 66 quid were paid by the soaring national debt...

Frankly, I didn't need it, so I felt compelled to go out for dinner and give the money to those who need it more...

This all scheme could have been more targeted... staggering inability to do anything remotely difficult...

left the forum March 2023
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    With current price cap, old style gas meters are pretty close to counting in pounds so you can get a real feel of your cash burning away with zero maths👍
  • TheBigBean
    Wholesale power prices seem to have dropped a bit lately. Not sure how that affects anything.
  • I'm not on Direct Debit, so I get billed every month by E.ON, I prefer it this way, so I can keep track of spending, rather than having to add up KWh...
    Anyway, this month, courtesy of the previous government, my bill was £5... as 66 quid were paid by the soaring national debt...

Frankly, I didn't need it, so I felt compelled to go out for dinner and give the money to those who need it more...

This all scheme could have been more targeted... staggering inability to do anything remotely difficult...

Proof that trickle down economics works
  • rick_chasey
    This warm weather is excellent. Have still not put my heating on this autumn.

I was looking at photos from this time last year and I was already in my full winter coat.
  • rick_chasey
    Speaking to some people in the know.

Basically said if we have a big cold snap where it's a week of solid sub zero stuff, UK is roughly 15% short of the energy required....
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    I probably ought to buy four candles.
  • I probably ought to buy four candles.

I will trade you for my fork handles
  • briantrumpet

I probably ought to buy four candles.

I will trade you for my fork handles

Actually, if they are wood, it's a deal, as I'll be able to burn them for heating. On the plus side for you, you'll be able to see your hands shivering.
  • Stevo_666

Speaking to some people in the know.

Basically said if we have a big cold snap where it's a week of solid sub zero stuff, UK is roughly 15% short of the energy required....

Better keep my kerosene tank topped up then. That said, I don't think I even saw snow last winter.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    Powys Council are talking about doing online teaching one day a week to save on school heating costs. Not quite sure how that will work for parents, ridiculous idea.
  • briantrumpet
    Hmm, a little chillier indoors tonight, so the long trousers have gone on. When I lose mobility because of too many layers, and I can see my breath, I'll turn the heating on.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Saft southerners. In The Homeland nights getting well chilly. Sez he typing this in front of a warming woodburner.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Hmm, a little chillier indoors tonight, so the long trousers have gone on. When I lose mobility because of too many layers, and I can see my breath, I'll turn the heating on.

Wimpy northerners........
  • briantrumpet
    JimD666 said:

People in Cornwall stay warm as they never have a reason to take their wetsuits off, given how damp the climate is there.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Pross said:

Powys Council are talking about doing online teaching one day a week to save on school heating costs. Not quite sure how that will work for parents, ridiculous idea.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, isn't a few unheated lessons where everyone sits in their coats all good character building stuff?

More seriously, switching the heating off for a day and then back on a day later is not going to save them as much as they think.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

JimD666 said:

People in Cornwall stay warm as they never have a reason to take their wetsuits off, given how damp the climate is there.
    It's not a wetsuit. It's mould.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited November 2022
    A good time to turn on the heating is when your tongue sticks to your spoon.
  • I will be happy with reaching November 5th then will turn it on as it is nicer
  • briantrumpet

I will be happy with reaching November 5th then will turn it on as it is nicer

You could always light a bonfire indoors and ask the neighbours in.
  • Stevo_666
    I'm not going to suffer for the sake of a few quid. Heating is on and I'm nice and comfy. Kerosene prices were pretty low last weekend (probably as it was so mild) so have ordered a top up that'll see me some time into the New Year.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, isn't a few unheated lessons where everyone sits in their coats all good character building stuff?

More seriously, switching the heating off for a day and then back on a day later is not going to save them as much as they think.
    Yeah, it’s bonkers and smacks of a few Councillors trying to make a point. The one suggesting it seemed a bit of a hippy, probably represented Hay on Wye. Besides, they’re all farmers around Powys so they won’t be bothered by an unheated classroom.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488

JimD666 said:

Which is bollocks as Devon is the wettest county of those in the south west.