Energy thread

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    When I’m working away I just put her big wax candle right next to the thermostat on the shelf. Saves me a fortune :D
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited November 2022
    mully79 said:

When I’m working away I just put her big wax candle right next to the thermostat on the shelf. Saves me a fortune :D

Or just fix the thermostat directly above a radiator. Boiler fires, then immediately shuts down.
  • IIRC, keeping the heating on is more efficient in terms of energy used per hour of keeping temperature at target level than if you go for the "heat up, keep at temperature whilst needed then allow to cool" cycle, but you still use less energy going through this cycle if you only need (for example) 2 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening compared to leaving the heating on all day.

So you might use [60]% of the energy required to heat the house all day, to keep it at target temperature for 50% of the day. Less energy used in total. More energy used per hour.

[60]% is made up. It's some number over 50% and hopefully less than 100%.

as per RJST's article does it not "depend"

so if you are well insulated and your heating system is more efficient ticking over and your time in the house is optimal then it would be cheaper to leave it running (but knocked back) plus in a tight run thing it would be more pleasant.
    It definitely “depends”. In the old days (ie not this winter) we’d leave out heating on simmer from noon until bedtime as we’re usually in all afternoon. We wouldn’t turn it off if we’re going out for an hour or so.

But in the limit, there will always come a point where it’s cheaper to turn the heating off and then turn it back on when you need it. Or with Hive, 30 mins or so before you need it.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you don’t have the heating on. How do the cats manage.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    webboo said:

How can that be comfortable?
    How did it get there? 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    edited November 2022
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

How did it get there? 🤔
    Cats can make anywhere comfortable. Google "cats sleeping in uncomfortable places".

They always know where it's warm, though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • webboo
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

How did it get there? 🤔
    She just jumps up like cats do. Her other favourite spot when not sleeping on our bed is on top of the boiler in the garage.
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

pblakeney said:

webboo said:

How did it get there? 🤔
    She just jumps up like cats do. Her other favourite spot when not sleeping on our bed is on top of the boiler in the garage.
    The window ledge/shelf is probably smaller the I image.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    It’s about 3” wide.
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

It’s about 3” wide.

I was thinking overlap over the radiator, but this is for the trivial thread and not worthy of serious consideration.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    Ok then is the energy used to gain the top of the radiator equal to or even lower calories used in keeping warm by laying on said radiator.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So I’m on the free float energy price and I’ve managed to be so stingey even before the government money I’ve spent less on energy than I did last year in November.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

So I’m on the free float energy price and I’ve managed to be so stingey even before the government money I’ve spent less on energy than I did last year in November.

Dang, I was £15 more 😭

I was in all day on Sunday, and I see I used £5.91, so I'm going to have to find extra layers of clothing... though I'll be off to use some of my French store of firewood in a couple of weeks, so that'll keep the bill down for the end of December.
  • rick_chasey
    Take that, Putin!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391

Take that, Putin!

Is that a Russian tribute band?
  • I get that there is satisfaction to be had in keeping the bills down but you chaps should try turning the heating on as you may have forgotten the pleasure of walking downstairs to find it is gently warm.

My gas usage was down 30% for Nov
  • rick_chasey

I get that there is satisfaction to be had in keeping the bills down but you chaps should try turning the heating on as you may have forgotten the pleasure of walking downstairs to find it is gently warm.

I had it set at 22 degrees for 3 solid years, regardless of the time of year - I know what that feels like
  • I get that there is satisfaction to be had in keeping the bills down but you chaps should try turning the heating on as you may have forgotten the pleasure of walking downstairs to find it is gently warm.

I had it set at 22 degrees for 3 solid years, regardless of the time of year - I know what that feels like
    was that in a life swap with a Boomer?
  • rick_chasey
    I'm, as my northern wife likes to remind me, "nesh"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    My dual bill costs (with the energy cap deduction) have averaged £235 over the last 2 months. That's with having the central heating on at a reasonably comfortable level (thermostat around 19 but having to play around with it a bit as it doesn't seem to read the temperature properly) but I've been trying to avoid the electric heaters in my office. I've had to succumb a bit in the last week or so since the temperatures have dropped but not had it on anywhere near as often as previously.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,047
    I can feel a 'who can be the tightest with their heating bills' competition coming on.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I’ve give up being tight. Currently at £300 a month actual usage which is still cheaper than the fixed they offered me in April.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    It's a bit odd seeing people say how well they've done so far this winter when it only actually got cold in the last week.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    Top cost/day so far - £5.90 on Sunday, but I was in all day. Back down to £3.14 on Tuesday. Another layer went on tonight, as it's definitely nippy. Thicker socks next. No ice on the insides of windows though, so can't be too bad.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Intrigued today by seeing different roofs showing frost / no frost. Got the new turbo set up in the 'sun room' which looks out over the lower part of town, looking SW so roofs aligned NE by and large. Most had the white frost still there mid pm, temps today hardly got over zero but several had no frost showing. Poorer insulation, running higher thermostat levels, no thermostat....? Could see boiler condensation traces from some of the 'white roofed'.

A way of occupying brain while legs are doing their thing 😊

I need to improve my loft insulation, had put it off due to pending roof retiling and inevitable mess, springtime prob, but can see one part of my roof is really losing heat, and that end of house feels colder, so get a few rolls up there as going to be a cold winter looks like.

Busy busy.

• rick_chasey
    This cold snap is not really good for the energy crisis and materially increases the likelihood of blackouts.

• briantrumpet

This cold snap is not really good for the energy crisis and materially increases the likelihood of blackouts.

Wondering if I should buy an emergency LED light after all... or at least four candles.
  • I have a condensing boiler and want the house to heat up quicker. Is this as simple as turning up the dial on the front of the boiler and if so would going from 60 to 65 be noticeable.

I know I would be sacrificing efficiency
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

I have a condensing boiler and want the house to heat up quicker. Is this as simple as turning up the dial on the front of the boiler and if so would going from 60 to 65 be noticeable.

I know I would be sacrificing efficiency

You might be better off keeping it as is but having it on for longer so the house cools down less in between. Hard to know.

But yes that would heat the house up quicker.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono