Energy thread

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,911

Ice on my motorbike seat in the wilds of Ashtead this morning.

That is a very valid point. We can’t be far off our first frost, would you like a picture to see what you are missing?

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,049
    There was a spot of ice on the car windscreen the other morning.

Mind you, its now quite mild so warmer outside than in my converted garage where I WFH. So now sitting with the door and windows open to warm things up a tad...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    lol hiding behind the sofa at home? Yikes, not like you Stevo. Get back in the office.
  • Stevo_666

lol hiding behind the sofa at home? Yikes, not like you Stevo. Get back in the office.

Hybrid working Rick - 2/3 days in a week. Suits me pretty well :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Stevo_666 said:

Mind you, its now quite mild so warmer outside than in my converted garage where I WFH. So now sitting with the door and windows open to warm things up a tad...

You do know that you can now buy insulation? 🙂
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666 said:

hiding behind the office sofa to get away from the cold?
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yep, but probably not worth it given the type of building it is. If it gets really cold I can just work in the house.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

hiding behind the office sofa to get away from the cold?
    Ironically the office is a bit warm as we get sensitive Southern types complaining that they're cold.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    Stevo_666 said:

JRM dropped by the office and hopes to catch you the net time you're in.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'll just point him to the clause in my new contract :)
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Bloody lazy leftie.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Bloody lazy leftie.
    I've been called few things in my time. Suppose there's a first time for everything.
  • rick_chasey
    Easier to cook the books at home, right? ;)
  • Stevo_666

Easier to cook the books at home, right? ;)

My OH does most of the cooking :)
  • whilst SteveO is a bedwetting leftie snowflake shirking behind his sofa

I have to admit that I only have to show my face 2 days a week and that really is not monitored.

could we have a quick show of hands for everybody else
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

whilst SteveO is a bedwetting leftie snowflake shirking behind his sofa

I have to admit that I only have to show my face 2 days a week and that really is not monitored.

could we have a quick show of hands for everybody else

100% wfh. Written in the contract.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    In the office once or twice a week, nobody monitors it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Don't have an office, just 4 staff all working from home.
  • 2 days a week, Monday plus one of our choosing. Is loosely monitored but I dont see the point of the second one when I'm there on teams calls with people who are at home.
  • Stevo_666
    Similar to a few people, mine is only loosely monitored and I choose then days anyway. That said, I need to set a good example...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    100% wfh.
    5 days on customer sites since start of covid.
    1 day in the office for Xmas gathering.
  • rick_chasey
    3-4 days in the office
  • 2 days in the office for me, but that's been in my contract since 2011 when hybrid working wasn't even in glint in the eye of the shirking classes. Where I lead, others follow, it seems.

Company policy is 3-4 days a week in the office, but it's not really monitored, as what counts is keeping our clients happy.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yep, but probably not worth it given the type of building it is. If it gets really cold I can just work in the house.
    If you are heating it it's worth insulating. If you insulate it you may not need to heat it.

Have just seen an article saying that well insulated homes now command a premium in excess of the cost of installation, so it offers a ROI as well.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535
    100% WFH
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677
    100% WFW. It's a school. I'd probably get into trouble if I started taking my work home. Social Services and the police would get involved again and I think my next DBS check might be in doubt.

To be honest, I'd rather be in school than at home. Here I have a 3D printer, laser cutter and a workshop the size of Belgium. I'm currently printing some stacking trays to go in a DeWalt toolbox :)

And I get 12 weeks (badly) paid holiday a year...
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

If you are heating it it's worth insulating. If you insulate it you may not need to heat it.

Have just seen an article saying that well insulated homes now command a premium in excess of the cost of installation, so it offers a ROI as well.
    It's a converted garage which is separate from the main house (which is decently insulated). That said I'd be interested to know what you think based on the specifics - could send some pics by PM?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,911
    Pretty much 100% wfw unless I have a zoom meeting or I need to lock myself away to focus on something.

Managing a construction site is pretty difficult if you aren't there and I don't really want to build a 20 storey block of flats in my back garden.

• rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

It's a converted garage which is separate from the pmain house (which is decently insulated). That said I'd be interested to know what you think based on the specifics - could send some pics by PM?
    Of course.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Could I say Singapore is better than here, everything is clean and works on time.