Energy thread

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    edited October 2022
    Our house has been 16C a few times already but we've only had the heating on for ~1.5 hours this side of summer. It's fine, I WFH and just wear a down gilet most of the time. The other thing is moving more, it's easy to feel cold when not doing anything but run up and down the stairs a few times and you'll quickly warm up.

When my partner and toddler come home they also layer up. I'm planning on sewing an insulated gilet for my toddler with some scrap fabric and insulation I have lying around. Until then she has plenty of knitted cardigans.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    I'd insult a gilet if I knew how to. There'd be no arm in it.

Sorry, etc...

Obviously the answer is to have a work station rigged up in front of a turbo, or, if you want an extra challenge, rollers. You could practise taking the gilt off at the same time too.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    I do know someone who has a turbo rigged up in their house as a 'get warm' mechanism. Not a cyclist anymore and don't do 'proper' sessions on it but keep it set up so they can do a 5 minute spin in order to get warm.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

How do those of you withot logburners put upwith the cold? it is 18 degrees inside and after two hours my fingers are going numb.

By not living in the sticks.
  • How do those of you withot logburners put upwith the cold? it is 18 degrees inside and after two hours my fingers are going numb.

By not living in the sticks.
    That is a very valid point. We can’t be far off our first frost, would you like a picture to see what you are missing?
  • Is it a bit like this?
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    edited October 2022
    What started out as testing my new web based CH thermostat has capitulated into heating being on schedule. Being able to set different temps at different times is a revelation.

Heating on 7-8 am 19 DegC
    Back on at 6:30 till 9:30 20 DegC

4 hours a day has cost me about £20 a week (at price cap) and is miles better than wearing a turtleneck !
  • Is it a bit like this?

A random internet chappie posting up photos he took in my garden is a bit unnerving
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    mully79 said:

What started out as testing my new web based CH thermostat has capitulated into heating being on schedule. Being able to set different temps at different times is a revelation.

4 hours a day has cost me about £20 a week (at price cap) and is miles better than wearing a turtleneck !

Thermostats have been doing this for years.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

Is it a bit like this?

A random internet chappie posting up photos he took in my garden is a bit unnerving

Give him his due, he's using the literal definition of 'stalking'.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    edited October 2022
    pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Exactly! I cannot fathom why everything has to be "connected" to work.
    Even a basic timer and thermostat.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mully79
    pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Last house just had a boiler temp setting and no timer

The app based thermostat is almost the equivalent of a dropper post to mountain bikers 👍
  • pblakeney
    mully79 said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

The app based thermostat is almost the equivalent of a dropper post to mountain bikers 👍
    Just goes to show....
    Our house was built this way in the '80s. Thought everyone would have caught up by now.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    mully79 said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

As a recent acquirer of a dropper post…

Don’t conflate a game changing experience with rendering existing functionality in a different way.
    Disc brakes would be better analogy. They both stop you.
  • mully79
    morstar said:

mully79 said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Don’t conflate a game changing experience with rendering existing functionality in a different way.
    What have you been doing ? I’m a 26er riding dinosaur and even I converted to a dropper 3 or 4 years back. 😂😂
  • We don't have a thermostat.

Heating is either off or on and you adjust radiators to suit.

As far as I can tell....
  • pblakeney
    Sounds to me that this country could do with moving into the 20th century.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So right now though it’s bordering on too cold in the mornings, given it’s a south facing house and it’s still 13-15 degrees in the day, as long as there’s a bit of sun the temp is back up to 20 without needing to have the boiler on at all.

Pretty good for a cheaply built house…!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    mully79 said:

morstar said:

mully79 said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

What have you been doing ? I’m a 26er riding dinosaur and even I converted to a dropper 3 or 4 years back. 😂😂
    In all fairness, I’ve only had the mtb a year. But yes, once I bit the bullet, I wondered why I waited.
  • We don't have a thermostat.

Heating is either off or on and you adjust radiators to suit.

As far as I can tell....

do you have a timer?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited October 2022
    That I do have, which I use for the hot water.

Heating has only been switched on out of necessity so far, rather than on the timer.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    Seems like there are big fuel shortages in much of France and fuel rationing going on at petrol stations.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,049

Seems like there are big fuel shortages in much of France and fuel rationing going on at petrol stations.

Must be down to Brexit.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    Stevo_666 said:

Must be down to Brexit.
    On the Snowheads forum the joke is its's down to the Tories and Brexit :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,268
    Stevo_666 said:

Must be down to Brexit.
    only a brexiter would be stupid enough to believe that
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    It's strike action and picketing. How very pan-European. I thought Brits had opted out of that European nonsense and taken back control?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Must be down to Brexit.
    On the Snowheads forum the joke is its's down to the Tories and Brexit :D
    :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Must be down to Brexit.
    The real thickos are those who can't spot an obvious joke :)
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

It's strike action and picketing. How very pan-European. I thought Brits had opted out of that European nonsense and taken back control?

The French clearly haven't.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,268
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

Must be down to Brexit.
    The real thickos are those who can't spot an obvious joke :)
    like i said, brexiters
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny