• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,049
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

There was a spot of ice on the car windscreen the other morning.

Mind you, its now quite mild so warmer outside than in my converted garage where I WFH. So now sitting with the door and windows open to warm things up a tad...

You do know that you can now buy insulation? 🙂
    Yep, but probably not worth it given the type of building it is. If it gets really cold I can just work in the house.
    If you are heating it it's worth insulating. If you insulate it you may not need to heat it.

Have just seen an article saying that well insulated homes now command a premium in excess of the cost of installation, so it offers a ROI as well.
    It's a converted garage which is separate from the pmain house (which is decently insulated). That said I'd be interested to know what you think based on the specifics - could send some pics by PM?
    Of course.
    Thanks - will take some pics tomorrow.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

Could I say Singapore is better than here, everything is clean and works on time.

But it's really hot and humid which makes cycling and running unpleasant.
  • Pross
    Octopus must work strange working days, I applied for £500 of my overpayment to be returned on Saturday and they said they process this in 2 working days but still nothing in my account
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560
    monkimark said:

Pretty much 100% wfw unless I have a zoom meeting or I need to lock myself away to focus on something.

Managing a construction site is pretty difficult if you aren't there and I don't really want to build a 20 storey block of flats in my back garden.

Classic nimby attitude!
  • Pross
    Having racked up a £900 surplus and getting a £500 refund from Octopus (which I'm still waiting to see in my bank over a week later) with the rest left in reserve I've just had an email from them recommending an increase of £50 per month on my current payments. It works out around a 30% increase on my monthly payments that were already significantly above what they should be hence the £900 surplus in less than 2 years. They don't seem to have a clue.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited October 2022

Could I say Singapore is better than here, everything is clean and works on time.

Sucks if you’re gay
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

Sucks if you’re gay
    :D
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    I mean it, they only legalised gay sex a few months ago, and in return they confirmed gay marriage is off the cards so they don't get the same rights around things like tax breaks, tenant rights etc.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

I mean it, they only legalised gay sex a few months ago, and in return they confirmed gay marriage is off the cards so they don't get the same rights around things like tax breaks, tenant rights etc.

I suspect that it was you choice of words that caused the amusement, not your concern for the homosexual population.
  • rick_chasey
    lol, not related ;)
  • briantrumpet

lol, not related ;)

Of course, the thought didn't pass my pure mind until PB's guffaw.

🤥
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

lol, not related ;)

🤥
    Given the context that emoji is not a lot of pixels and could be taken a few ways
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    pangolin said:

lol, not related ;)

🤥
    Given the context that emoji is not a lot of pixels and could be taken a few ways

Which way would you like to take it? 🤔😜
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

I suspect that it was you choice of words that caused the amusement, not your concern for the homosexual population.
    Quite correct. An unfortunate turn of phrase.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited October 2022
    The new chancellor has nailed it.
    Remove the energy cap and the triple lock on state pensions. That should see a good percentage of the oldies freezing or starving this winter. That will save billions which can go to protecting bankers bonuses and energy company “windfall free” share bonuses.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • briantrumpet

Remove the energy cap and the triple lock on state pensions. That should see a good percentage of the oldies freezing or starving this winter, which will save billions that can go to bankers bonuses and energy company “windfall free”share bonuses.

Might make their voting figures even worse though. Do you think they've fully thought this through?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    If the triple lock is appropriate for pensions, (I’m not arguing either way, but if it is) it should also apply to; minimum wage, other benefits and the lowest tax band.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,512
    edited October 2022

Remove the energy cap and the triple lock on state pensions. That should see a good percentage of the oldies freezing or starving this winter. That will save billions which can go to protecting bankers bonuses and energy company “windfall free” share bonuses.

Not sure I get the logic behind the bankers’ bonus rant. (I get the emotional element, obviously!)

Bankers’ bonus are paid by shareholders and are subject to income tax. So letting them increase is distribution from evil shareholders to deserving causes via HMRC.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488

No impact this winter Blazin. The energy cap is unchanged this winter, and State Pension increases wouldn't come in until 6th April anyway.
  • briantrumpet

No impact this winter Blazin. The energy cap is unchanged this winter, and State Pension increases wouldn't come in until 6th April anyway.

And, to be fair, he did say they'd be reviewing to better target it, not that there wouldn't be a mechanism or support at all. Mind you, it is the Tories, and in crisis, so who knows?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    New chancellor = this month's chancellor. Consistency, con-sistency.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2022

Not sure I get the logic behind the bankers’ bonus rant. (I get the emotional element, obviously!)

Bankers’ bonus are paid by shareholders and are subject to income tax. So letting them increase is distribution from evil shareholders to deserving causes via HMRC.
    For the last time **it won’t make a difference to their pay**

They raised base salaries to compensate the cap on 100% of base.

Who’s gonna give up a big base salary?

You’ll get the odd headline massive number but for the most part it won’t change a thing for at least the next 5 years.

Meanwhile they’re gonna get hit a big windfall tax by the sounds of it so the bonus pot will be *even smaller*.

• The new chancellor has nailed it.

You’ll get the odd headline massive number but for the most part it won’t change a thing for at least the next 5 years.

Meanwhile they’re gonna get hit a big windfall tax by the sounds of it so the bonus pot will be *even smaller*.

What’s with the “for the last time”? We haven’t had a first time re banker remuneration!

My point was that bankers’ bonuses aren’t funded from government sources as a counter to Blazing’s heartfelt but illogical rant about bonuses earlier.

• The new chancellor has nailed it.

What’s with the “for the last time”? We haven’t had a first time re banker remuneration!

My point was that bankers’ bonuses aren’t funded from government sources as a counter to Blazing’s heartfelt but illogical rant about bonuses earlier.

If you read my post again, I said "protect", not "pay". The cap on bankers bonuses being one of the few policies that the government aren't planning to U turn on.
    Not sure why you think that illogical.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290169

Or if you prefer.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/17/jeremy-hunt-bankers-bonus-cap-no-u-turn

The new chancellor, Jeremy Hunt, is pressing on with plans to scrap the bankers’ bonus cap, protecting one of the most divisive policies from his predecessor’s disastrous mini-budget.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    It's only divisive because journos are too lazy to understand it and therefore make a story out of something that as Rick states, makes no difference.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

It has been discussed a bit.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey

It's only divisive because journos are too lazy to understand it and therefore make a story out of something that as Rick states, makes no difference.

MPs too, tbf.
  • Blazing - you posted “that will save billions that can go on protecting bankers’ bonuses”.

That is simply wrong in factual terms for the reasons I gave. Public spending does not feed into or otherwise protect bankers’ bonuses.

The bonus cap was a purely political move from the EU commission doubtless to try and aid Macron in his ongoing attempts to neuter London as the premier financial centre in Europe. It has feck all to do with actual remuneration for as Rick points out, banks will always find a way to remunerate the staff they want to remunerate.
  • Blazing - you posted “that will save billions that can go on protecting bankers’ bonuses”.

That is simply wrong in factual terms for the reasons I gave. Public spending does not feed into or otherwise protect bankers’ bonuses.

The bonus cap was a purely political move from the EU commission doubtless to try and aid Macron in his ongoing attempts to neuter London as the premier financial centre in Europe. It has feck all to do with actual remuneration for as Rick points out, banks will always find a way to remunerate the staff they want to remunerate.
  • rick_chasey
    They screwed the pooch in the City on Brexit anyway, so any minor revenue the relaxation of the bonus might bring is lost in the mire that is that.