Le Tour de Femmes, race chat

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,029
    Avv is stuck between a rock and a hard place today, given yesterday some will be expecting a similar ride today, but given her gc lead she is perfectly entitled to simply mark her closest rivals and more likely create a bunch spectacle on Super Planche.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440

Pross said:

Gaps after 7 stages and one mountain stage is basically the same as the men's was after 3 weeks which in itself seemed quite big. Hopefully there'll become greater strength in depth as the women's sport gets more professional.

Hardly surprising given how much more slowly the women climb.
    It probably wasn't that accurate, but on the Platzerwasel they were showing a 9-10% gradient (which would certainly be there or there abouts) and AvV's speed at between 10-12kph (questionable). If right, that's 5-6 minutes per km.
    They don't climb that much more slowly than the best men.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,785
    Women are competitive on long climbs .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • AndyG785
    AndyG785 Posts: 20
    Hardly surprising given how much more slowly the women climb.
    It probably wasn't that accurate, but on the Platzerwasel they were showing a 9-10% gradient (which would certainly be there or there abouts) and AvV's speed at between 10-12kph (questionable). If right, that's 5-6 minutes per km.

Well, Lopez climbed the Platzerwasel @18.7kph in 2014

Yesterday Van Vleuten climbed it at 17.4kph, Vollering @17.0 the other top 10 females yesterday did it in the 15kph range.

From the viewers pov, perhaps riding the stage more as a bunch, then attack the final climb but AVV had a lot of time to make up.....

I've thoroughly enjoyed the race and will do so again today, what i haven't enjoyed is (mainly men) criticising the women esp crashes, its pathetic tbh & should England win today, i expect we'll all get more of it.

• mididoctors
    All together still . Looking good for AvV
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,156

Hate to say it but I don't think this race has worked. Whether it's the format or just the way the racing has worked out - I suspect a bit of both.

I can understand why they've left the two likely decisive stages til last but not convinced leaving the GC battle to so late in the race really works - then the way yesterday played out...an historic performance but for me not great viewing.

Overall i think encouraging and engaged me a lot more than previous women’s races.
    The midweek stages were good (except the horrible crashes).
    Although too soon after the Giro for the riders, it enabled them to pick up more support from casual followers and news outlets on the back of tdf . Good number of fans on the roadside, because it’s holiday time.

Needs more strength in depth for a more competitive race, and some better commentary.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,694
    edited July 2022
    I wonder how long the ASO will keep us waiting for live pictures today?
    (I assume criticising the coverage won’t upset anyone too much)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,713
    Two weeks after a 10 day race with a rest day doesn't seem ridiculous to me.
  • mididoctors
    Garcia trying to go up the road
  • blazing_saddles
    Live has just started with 67.5km to go
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

What women's racing needs is more of us watching criticizing it ...

Surely discussion is worthwhile? The fact it is being discussed and the race has its own thread is progress. It was similar with women's football a decade ago and that has made huge strides forward now. Cricket and rugby are getting there too.
    Only just realised you thought I was taking the piss ....

No I literally mean what women's cycling needs is more people like us watching criticizing it
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525

Two weeks after a 10 day race with a rest day doesn't seem ridiculous to me.

👆 I know the women's tour is low on stage races, but despite sharing a name with the TdF and Giro, they're not really comparable.

the main issue with the women's Giro calendar position is clashing with the men's tour de france
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    No teams putting much pressure on Movistar who are hanging around the front without actually having to pull the peloton
  • Mad_Malx
    I’m always surprised when I see Movistar riding as a team
  • mididoctors
    Mechanical .
    AvV
  • mididoctors
    Descending badly
  • mididoctors
    Great crowds
  • mididoctors
    Still not back on.
  • mididoctors
    Only two movistar pulling
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2022
    Only one movistar left.... panicking a bit . Blowing her team up
  • mididoctors
    Dangerous move ....leaves her exposed ..no team mates left
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2022
    She should bridge easy enough on the climb
  • mididoctors
    She should swap bikes on the climb ....she bridges easier than descending
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525
    Honestly, at this point she should just stop for a cup of coffee and catch them up layer
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles

Honestly, at this point she should just stop for a cup of coffee and catch them up layer

She could probably write her autobiography and catch them up. :D
  • Mad_Malx

Well she does keep stopping to give them a head start
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,018

Pross said:

Surely discussion is worthwhile? The fact it is being discussed and the race has its own thread is progress. It was similar with women's football a decade ago and that has made huge strides forward now. Cricket and rugby are getting there too.
    Yes what we are doing right now is good . ..see that there where you typed ...that was good ..and this other part where I typed ...that was good too 😊

?

Pross is right. I don't think pretending something is exciting when it isn't really helps.

For myself I'm not criticising women's cycling per se - I've seen some great women's racing on lumpy courses - I'm saying this race hasn't really worked.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103

Pross said:

Yes what we are doing right now is good . ..see that there where you typed ...that was good ..and this other part where I typed ...that was good too 😊

?

Pross is right. I don't think pretending something is exciting when it isn't really helps.

For myself I'm not criticising women's cycling per se - I've seen some great women's racing on lumpy courses - I'm saying this race hasn't really worked.

See above, Midi wasn't being sarcastic as I'd assumed but genuinely saying a bit of criticism is a good thing
  • mididoctors

2 speed racing
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2022
    Vollering Spliting off a small group