Le Tour de Femmes, race chat

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,090
It starts on the 24th. It is basically a week's tour around NW France.

First stage is like the format from previous years, a short race around les Champs Elysees in Paris with the two mountain stages at the very end. The second from last stage looks hard with three, fairly hard, climbs.

Interestingly, if I understood correctly, Jeannie Longo may be at the start of the race as a guest of honour. Marion Rousse announced this through clenched teeth but so clenched I had trouble hearing what she had to say. Jeannie is not that popular with younger riders. Perhaps, given Longo's results on the road this year, they would be worried that she might actually do okay if she physically took part in the race.

https://www.letourfemmes.fr/
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Could be good, hopefully it will be televised... be nice if it was the BBC, so I don't have to choose between various cremation services
    left the forum March 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525
    Danish TV2 is going for it big time. Running ads featuring Cecile.
    I'd love to watch but will be away for much of it, and honestly speaking, I need a break from watching racing
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440

I'd love to watch but will be away for much of it, and honestly speaking, I need a break from watching racing

Wait, what? Does not compute.

I guess this Tour has been totally emotional for you though.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,694
    Do we know if they will be having a publicity caravan?
    I ask because as we know, it does tend to double the number of French spectators roadside.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    andyp said:

Wait, what? Does not compute.

I guess this Tour has been totally emotional for you though.

I don't think I've missed more than a couple of hours of the entire tour, it's not really healthy 😅

But yeah, it's been incredible.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,785
    I am keen to watch the ladies race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Vleut to win, no one else has a chance, will win the next 17 too, boring decade ahead etc etc

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Free 8 day GCN+ pass so can watch all of the action live without adbreaks. Or catch up later. All courtesy of lecol-wahoo

https://lecolwahoo.com/news/want-to-watch-us-in-action-at-the-tour-de-france-femmes
  • davidof
    edited July 2022
    ddraver said:

Vleut to win, no one else has a chance, will win the next 17 too, boring decade ahead etc etc

;)

You would think so. Or another Dutch woman.
    if she wins the next 17, she will be 57 ! I guess that is possible.
    Instagramme
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,185
    davidof said:

ddraver said:

;)

😳 Gosh, I didn't realise her actual age, turns 40 in October.
  • davidof
    orraloon said:

davidof said:

ddraver said:

;)

Now you see my idea of a Jeannie Longo comeback is not so mad - she's been riding well this year.

In other important news Puck Moonen's cat has died. RIP Mr Tiddles
    Instagramme
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig isn't going to win it, but by golly she's entertaining interview fodder, isn't she?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,185

Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig isn't going to win it, but by golly she's entertaining interview fodder, isn't she?

Yeah, saw that on Eurosport after the Breakaway. She's good.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440

She's probably not even going to be the best FDJ rider.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited July 2022

She is mad as a hatter. Great fun to listen to her interviews. Gets even better after she's won a race :)
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,168
    edited July 2022
    davidof said:

orraloon said:

davidof said:

ddraver said:

;)

In other important news Puck Moonen's cat has died. RIP Mr Tiddles
    Odin.....

Disappointing that ITV won't be covering Le Tour Femmes, especially after having Lizzie as an analyst during the 2nd week, and talking about the race.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    edited July 2022
    It is a bit but I get the impression that ES/GCN have gone big on this themselves...

Have you seen they've also made it free (with other sponsors) to watch on GCN too.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Are we using this one as a spoiler thread too?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    This has started.

Dunno why, but I thought it kicked off after the men's race finished

On ES now
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    I am out of my depth ..I need to get clued up
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Bit of a typical Champs stage so far. One rider (Nina Buijsman) out front, a small group starting to get across now, but generally it's been kept fairly controlled so far.

Peloton have visibly picked up pace to shut this down.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,363
    There are pedestrian crossings every 20 m along the Champs. Never noticed that before, and it seems an excessive number.

Wish we had their weather here!
  • blazing_saddles

Don't look at me. I am enjoying a rest!
  • blazing_saddles
    Probably not the greatest idea to have the women race at lunch time on a Sunday.
    Not a lot of people watching on the Champs although there are pockets elsewhere.
  • Lanterne_Rogue

Don't look at me. I am enjoying a rest!
    Wasn't asking anyone to throw up stage profiles or anything! Just a space to discuss the race.

Is it too early to start complaining about today's parcours? Fully understand why they're starting here, but it does highlight how rubbish the Champs stage is as an actual stage, rather than a celebration of three weeks of competition (plus a sprint).
  • mididoctors
    I am reserving my judgement till I watch the bulk of this race .
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Frankly bizarre amount of effort to take the intermediate sprint, leaving the peloton temporarily in bits.
  • mididoctors
    Vos is keen
  • mididoctors
    Shows the bunch can be split by a strong lead out
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Quite like the Spiderman team. Ceratizit–WNT I think.