Shimano 105 Di2 Confirmed

123457»

Comments

• Problem is, manufacturers hsve stopped production and devrlopment of mechanical/rimmed, do if in the future they do want to revert its going to need a massive leap in R&D and complete - and very, very expensive - factory re-tooling.

Yeah I agree, guess it is just a pipe dream on my part.

Would be interested to know what tooling the likes of S/S have kept in relation to mechanical production, as a contingency. My guess would be not much as big companies tend to just bin off the old stuff when they switch.

Unlike us, we still have machinery from the 1950's :)
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Problem is, manufacturers hsve stopped production and devrlopment of mechanical/rimmed, do if in the future they do want to revert its going to need a massive leap in R&D and complete - and very, very expensive - factory re-tooling.

Yeah I agree, guess it is just a pipe dream on my part.

Would be interested to know what tooling the likes of S/S have kept in relation to mechanical production, as a contingency. My guess would be not much as big companies tend to just bin off the old stuff when they switch.

Unlike us, we still have machinery from the 1950's :)
    but no one who can use it on a production level
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,706
    MattFalle said:

So essentially £110 or so.

Crossed wires sorry. Concerned about quality there tbh. The armature that transmits lever throw to the ratchet is plastic I believe. I think people are still better off buying se ond gand or old stock from the main brands, once the orice mania has passed. There will be a lot of stuff being sold off by people competing for whonhas the latest bike with dentists and accountants, for a while yet.
  • but no one who can use it on a production level

Ah, but this is the West Mids MF, the last bastion of septuagenarian toolmakers who can still fettle the old machinery (I employ most of them!).

Admittedly, this is perhaps not a viable long term business strategy....
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 618
    Think the plastic bit in the Sensah shifters has now been replaced by a metal one. Still sounds like their front mech is a nightmare to set up though.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,275
    Munsford0 said:

Think the plastic bit in the Sensah shifters has now been replaced by a metal one. Still sounds like their front mech is a nightmare to set up though.

Good plan to go 1 x then...
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect

Munsford0 said:

If the pull ratio is matched to Shimano, is a shimano front derailleur an option? Or is the issue trimming at the lever?
  • Munsford0
    I read that bunging a Tiagra FD in an otherwise Sensah groupset worked very well

• ugo.santalucia

Munsford0 said:

If the pull ratio is matched to Shimano, is a shimano front derailleur an option? Or is the issue trimming at the lever?
    My understanding is that the Empire groupset is SRAM compatible, whereas the Team PRO levers are SHimano 11 compatible... I haven't seen the latter as a groupset, therefore it must have the same pull ratio
  • MattFalle
    Munsford0 said:

yup, this re rear and either wait for next gen re front or run 1x?
  • MattFalle

Munsford0 said:

great minds thinking alike!
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

So essentially £110 or so.

Crossed wires sorry. Concerned about quality there tbh. The armature that transmits lever throw to the ratchet is plastic I believe. I think people are still better off buying se ond gand or old stock from the main brands, once the orice mania has passed. There will be a lot of stuff being sold off by people competing for whonhas the latest bike with dentists and accountants, for a while yet.
    no worries dude! 👍👍👍
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    It’s too expensive for my winter bike. I will stick to regular 11-speed 105 on that bike.

• Munsford0
    And I'll stick to 9 speed Tiagra on my wet weather bike and 10 speed 105 on my best bike :)

(I suspect I'm not the customer segment shimano are aiming at with 105 Di2)
  • MattFalle
    zest28 said:

It’s too expensive for my winter bike. I will stick to regular 11-speed 105 on that bike.

its too expensive full stop, never mind winter/spring/summer/autumn/whatever bike
  • ugo.santalucia
    With all that said and done, if I had the budget, I would consider a wireless group set… the simplicity of installing stuff that doesn’t need any cable is very attractive… whereas I don’t see the point in Di2… a lot of connections, hidden batteries, complicated routing… I wouldn’t pay a penny extra for that
  • First.Aspect

With all that said and done, if I had the budget, I would consider a wireless group set… the simplicity of installing stuff that doesn’t need any cable is very attractive… whereas I don’t see the point in Di2… a lot of connections, hidden batteries, complicated routing… I wouldn’t pay a penny extra for that

Doesn't miss a shift, that's the main benefit. And the front shifting is better than mechanical. Pretty marginal though.
  • If sram kept an 11 speed etap rim brake option and offered it in Rival or Force at a reasonable price, I suspect they would sell a fair few.

Axs was just overkill, too costly, needless gear ratios and £150 to replace a cassette!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Still no complaints from gen 2 ultregra di2 (6870 series) from me.

Is everything meanredspider (remember him?) said it was.