Tourist Trophy

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

monkimark said:

The August/september events format changed in mid 2000's to split out the classic bikes but I can't remember the exact details - may be just the way it is reported that now covers fewer classes?

Did something change about the August event different to the June event in 2016? Looks like there has been a reduction in deaths in the August one since 2015 (only two in four years), but not in the June one. Or is there just going to be a reversion to the mean?

Just looking at this list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Isle_of_Man_TT_Mountain_Course_fatalities
    Already posted on page 1. This thread may have run its course...
    Because I said what I was using as the basis for a question when someone mentioned reporting differences?

I guess you also don't know the answer then.
    'Reporting differences' don't change the overall number of dead. Not in this case, anyway...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,246
    edited June 2022

monkimark said:

The August/september events format changed in mid 2000's to split out the classic bikes but I can't remember the exact details - may be just the way it is reported that now covers fewer classes?

Did something change about the August event different to the June event in 2016? Looks like there has been a reduction in deaths in the August one since 2015 (only two in four years), but not in the June one. Or is there just going to be a reversion to the mean?

Just looking at this list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Isle_of_Man_TT_Mountain_Course_fatalities
    Because I said what I was using as the basis for a question when someone mentioned reporting differences?

'Reporting differences' don't change the overall number of dead. Not in this case, anyway...
    So do you know if there have changes made to the August event that mean there are fewer deaths (in that list) in the last few years, but no fewer deaths in June?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Out of interest, what do Imp and Ugo do for kicks - you know adrenaline kicks, the kind that get you all giggly and nervous and smiling insanely?

#shits'n'giggles
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    MattFalle said:

Out of interest, what do Imp and Ugo do for kicks - you know adrenaline kicks, the kind that get you all giggly and nervous and smiling insanely?

#shits'n'giggles

Maybe go round and break Ricks wing mirror off. ;)
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

No. 100% not.

Personal choice to do it.

Iconic. Greatest racing event of greatest, bravest sport in the world.

And if you do, where are you going to stop? Irish roads? Macau? Slovenia?

100% utterly, totally not.

100% ^^^This^^^ for me.

There is pretty much zero chance that the IOM government would want to ban it as it brings in way too much money for the island & if you tried to alter the course / bikes or whatever to make the race safer, I would suspect the biggest opposition would be from the riders themselves.

Absolute nutters they may well be but they know the risks.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    MattFalle said:

#shits'n'giggles

Well, Imposter has already said he used to race motorbikes (track and motorcross).
  • imposter2.0

monkimark said:

So do you know if there have changes made to the August event that mean there are fewer deaths (in that list) in the last few years, but no fewer deaths in June?
    No I don't know. I would imagine it would be pretty easy to find out though...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,246
    edited June 2022

monkimark said:

No I don't know. I would imagine it would be pretty easy to find out though...
    I thought I'd ask some people who seemed to have an interest.
  • MattFalle
    edited June 2022
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

#shits'n'giggles

Well, Imposter has already said he used to race motorbikes (track and motorcross).
    Did he? Where? Happy to see this as this thread is now so long.

And now?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    MattFalle said:

Pross said:

MattFalle said:

#shits'n'giggles

And now?
    Page 5, third post down but you started banging on about club 10s and 3rd cat road racing in response.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    In normal sports, a death or a serious injury facilitates change or at least a discussion on how to change things.

It's remarkable this sport does not seem to want to do that.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,534
    edited June 2022
    No but if races that were previously considered to be part of the classic TT are now part of the Manx GP or vice versa, possibly the deaths wouldn't show up on the list that KG posted, which is just for the TT - it wouldn't make any difference to the riders concerned obviously.
    The change in figures roughly corelates to the change in organisation, which is why I metioned it - I honestly have no idea what the reason is.

FWIW I think the classic/TT/MGP all use exactly the same course and in a lot of cases riders and (more or less) bikes so i doubt there is a major difference in procedure that accounts for the difference.

monkimark said:

• imposter2.0
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

MattFalle said:

#shits'n'giggles

And now?
    Page 5, third post down but you started banging on about club 10s and 3rd cat road racing in response.
    It's his favourite subject... ;)
  • MattFalle

In normal sports, a death or a serious injury facilitates change or at least a discussion on how to change things.

It's remarkable this sport does not seem to want to do that.

Its discussed every year Richard, by everyone involved across every road race.

You honestly think they don't?

Seriously?
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

MattFalle said:

#shits'n'giggles

And now?
    Yeah I mugged that off because all the stuff he was posting against the TT was very, very very, very very, very strange coming from someone with a motorbike background.
  • rick_chasey
    So what's changed?
  • MattFalle
    Review the Committee findings after each TT week for past 200 years and you'll see.

It'll make a change from the normal reading you say you do on the Putin thread.
  • imposter2.0
    edited June 2022
    MattFalle said:

Yeah I mugged that off because all the stuff he was posting against the TT was very, very very, very very, very strange coming from someone with a motorbike background.

I've posted nothing 'against' the TT - other than suggesting that it may have evolved into something which is no longer viable in its current form. I simply said that competitors are rarely in the best position to judge whether something is in their best interests. If you'd ever been on a start line, you'd probably get that. But you'd rather talk about 'adrenaline fixes' and the 'romance' of the event instead. I've never met any other competitor who rode MX for the 'adrenaline rush' - me included.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 2022
    MattFalle said:

Review the Committee findings after each TT week for past 200 years and you'll see.

It'll make a change from the normal reading you say you do on the Putin thread.

Genuinely, what has changed? As judging by that death chart, whatever they have been doing doesn't seem to be having a material impact on the death rate?
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

I've posted nothing 'against' the TT - other than suggesting that it may have evolved into something which is no longer viable in its current form. I simply said that competitors are rarely in the best position to judge whether something is in their best interests. If you'd ever been on a start line, you'd probably get that.

Generally when you start something you've looked into it and pondered over it and wondered what's in your best interests, so yeah, I've done that for both officialand unofficial stuff.
  • imposter2.0
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

I've posted nothing 'against' the TT - other than suggesting that it may have evolved into something which is no longer viable in its current form. I simply said that competitors are rarely in the best position to judge whether something is in their best interests. If you'd ever been on a start line, you'd probably get that.

Generally when you start something you've looked into it and pondered over it and wondered what's in your best interests, so yeah, I've done that for both officialand unofficial stuff.
    But you've never actually done it in competitive motorcycling terms, have you. You've been banging on about "ooh, it's a biker thing, you wouldn't understand" - when all along, you are the one who doesn't fking get it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341

pinno said:

You even went to the trouble of saving a copy to edit and re-post. Is everything ok..?
    Your wife said I accidentally put an 'L' before ''imp'.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • imposter2.0
    pinno said:

pinno said:

You even went to the trouble of saving a copy to edit and re-post. Is everything ok..?
    Your wife said I accidentally put an 'L' before ''imp'.

Are you a parody account? So far, we've had desperately tired internet tropes, the formulaic "political correctness gone mad" whingeing and now the classic "your wife" jokes. Can't wait to see what's next. I can guess, but I'm not going to steal your thunder....
  • MattFalle
    edited June 2022
    and lightning?
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

But you've never actually done it in competitive motorcycling terms, have you. You've been banging on about "ooh, it's a biker thing, you wouldn't understand" - when all along, you are the one who doesn't fking get it.
    See above post Bazza.
  • imposter2.0
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

See above post Bazza.
    There are 29 posts above this one, 'Bazza' - can you be more specific..?
  • MattFalle
    No - you're Bazza - there can't be more than one, Bazza.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Bullit tonight at 9PM on ITV4... just saying
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    MattFalle said:

If you say so. But talking in juvenile riddles is not going to cover over the huge gaps in your credibility. Not this time, anyway...
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

If you say so. But talking in juvenile riddles is not going to cover over the huge gaps in your credibility. Not this time, anyway...
    Next thing we know you're going to ask me where I've ridden