Tourist Trophy

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    edited June 2022
    MattFalle said:

Goat

Widely eaten in many parts of the world but not Britain.

Any ideas?

Nowhere serving Curry Goat round your way then? Lovely, is goat. You need to get out more.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,374
    Yes, goat is very tasty.
    I suppose they're probably better company than BoJo, Mogg or Sunak.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Valentino Rossi (loosely getting back to motorcycling again) is seen by many to be a GOAT. Would you eat him? Think carefully before responding :D.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702

MattFalle said:

ddraver said:

Goats and sheep are pretty much the same thing minus a thousand years of selective breeding...

But British people will quite happily scoff a sheep but not a goat?

Why is this so?

This British person would quite happily eat goat, but never been offered it. I have seen a skinned one hung up in a farm shed though, so someone must have eated that.
    Turtle Bay in Exeter should serve Curry Goat. Waitrose sell diced goat and Google says there is something called Devon Meat Box Company.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939
    rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

ddraver said:

Goats and sheep are pretty much the same thing minus a thousand years of selective breeding...

But British people will quite happily scoff a sheep but not a goat?

Why is this so?

This British person would quite happily eat goat, but never been offered it. I have seen a skinned one hung up in a farm shed though, so someone must have eated that.
    Turtle Bay in Exeter should serve Curry Goat. Waitrose sell diced goat and Google says there is something called Devon Meat Box Company.

Haha, thanks, they do!

https://turtlebay.co.uk/assets/site/menus/menu-p2-takeaway.pdf
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    not being pedantic but we don't tend to eat sheep as it is tougher than lamb. If we had a heritage of cooking food for several hours we would probably eat more mutton/goat
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    Historically (according to AI's future memory) the Isle of Man national dish is boiled potatoes and herring.

So there you go.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 609
    me-109 said:

MattFalle said:

And why is it socially acceptable to eat pork, lamb and beef and not otter?

Too spicy for many. It's like Chicken Tikka, but a little 'otter.
    You mean chicken Tarka?
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 609
    edited June 2022
    MattFalle said:

Goat

Any ideas?

Goat is common in African / Carribbean quisine so it has made it to the UK. I'd happily eat it, especially curried but I don't think it's yet the meat of choice for the average daily Mail reader.

'Tis a problem for goat breeders. What to do with the boys? All the girls go off to become milkers, so the boys should logically go for meat but there is insufficient demand.
    Same thing for dairy cattle really; industry trying to market the meat as rose veal but people seem reluctant to try it
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Olive tapenade. Can't find it anywhere at the moment.

Why?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939
    Munsford0 said:

MattFalle said:

Goat

Any ideas?

Goat is common in African / Carribbean quisine so it has made it to the UK. I'd happily eat it, especially curried but I don't think it's yet the meat of choice for the average daily Mail reader.

'Tis a problem for goat breeders. What to do with the boys? All the girls go off to become milkers, so the boys should logically go for meat but there is insufficient demand.
    Same thing for dairy cattle really; industry trying to market the meat as rose veal but people seem reluctant to try it

Outdoor veal is another one I'd happily eat. Better than wasting them, and good meat.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    MattFalle said:

Olive tapenade. Can't find it anywhere at the moment.

Why?

Brexit. All the olives are actually very pro-EU
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Problem with goat farming is that goat herders always seem to compromise clandestine military operations.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    The Great Giacomo Agostini won countless world titles on the track, but also won 10 Tourist Trophies... at the time it was more common to race both... now things are more extreme and probably there is enough money in Moto GP, so pilots are not tempted to risk their lives on the road
    left the forum March 2023
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pilots WTF they are riding a motor bike not flying for the Red Arrows.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    Good facts from Maverick mind.
  • pinno
    edited June 2022
    webboo said:

It's Pilot in French and Pilota in Italian and Piloto in Spanish.
    And when a bike passes you whilst on your bike with straight through pipes at nutter speed, it's 'Jesus Christ! you f*cking w@nker'.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,621
    pinno said:

webboo said:

And when a bike passes you whilst on your bike with straight through pipes at nutter speed, it's 'Jesus Christ you f*cking w@nker'.
    Did Jesus ride the TT then?

• pinno
    mrb123 said:

pinno said:

webboo said:

And when a bike passes you whilst on your bike with straight through pipes at nutter speed, it's 'Jesus Christ you f*cking w@nker'.
    Did Jesus ride the TT then?

Stop being a plonker.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    No he didn't. Jesus wept.

Apparently. My Dad always used to (ex)claim it anyway.
  • webboo
    pinno said:

webboo said:

And when a bike passes you whilst on your bike with straight through pipes at nutter speed, it's 'Jesus Christ! you f*cking w@nker'.
    Last time I watched the TT it was still in the Isle of Man so what it is in English is what matters. Yes I am aware that they probably spoke Irish or Scottish once but not in the days of motor bikes.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    webboo said:

In paracycling, the rider on the front of the tandem is referred to as the 'pilot'...
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,550
    Carl Fogarty was a pretty good road racer, won the TT a few times as well as the NW200 alongside his day job in WSB.

I suspect the top boys in Moto GP are probably not allowed to race the TT, even if they wanted to.

The Great Giacomo Agostini won countless world titles on the track, but also won 10 Tourist Trophies... at the time it was more common to race both... now things are more extreme and probably there is enough money in Moto GP, so pilots are not tempted to risk their lives on the road

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,763

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

webboo said:

In paracycling, the rider on the front of the tandem is referred to as the 'pilot'...
    Don't forget captains and stokers.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno
    What about Lady Penelope and Aloysius Parker?
  • webboo
    pinno said:

What about Lady Penelope and Aloysius Parker?

Dodgy as f*ck the pair of them.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

The TT was actually part of what is MotoGP up until the mid 70s. It was only really a few years earlier that some riders stared missing it and after that the writing was on the wall.

It really was a different age in terms of attitude to risk in motorsport .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pinno

The TT was actually part of what is MotoGP up until the mid 70s. It was only really a few years earlier that some riders stared missing it and after that the writing was on the wall.

It really was a different age in terms of attitude to risk in motorsport .
    Indeed. The Nürburgring was part of the F1 season.