Prime Carbon Wheels

Any experience on using these for general road use in the UK ?

Would they survive a squabble with a pothole ?

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I'm watching this with interest.

I've been looking at the VV38 to use as a winter training wheel (if they ever come back into stock) or a decent lightweight set of Aluminum wheels.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have prime carbon back wheel on my summer bike. I don’t know whether it would survive hitting a pothole, I guess that would depend on how fast and how deep.
    I try to avoid them when I can.
    However I have ridden it on a chalk/ gravel track near the Humber foreshore with no issues.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    A riding friend has a set of Prime V3 50s on his bike, used mostly in better weather.
    He's not the lightest guy (trying to be diplomatic) and they've held up well for the last year or so. He says it's the best £500 he's spent.
  • voicycle
    voicycle Posts: 95
    I think my Black 50s are 2 years old now and have been ridden all over Scotland so taken some hits. 70-75kg rider on 25c tubeless and have even used them with light luggage for a 500km Audax type event. At ~ 6000 miles they're on their second set of bearings. I've never trued them - keep meaning to take them in for a true and checkup as the rear has a very slight wobble (maybe 2mm), but they're disc brake so it doesn't really matter and I keep putting it off.

I'd guess they're on a par with the basic carbon offerings from Hunt/Scribe (and now Vel).
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I have a set of Black Edition 90s, tubular. £600 the pair?

had them 2 1/2 years, used it all weathers on all roads ' I'm not precious about this stuff.

Can't fault them: light, roll well, nice noise from the freehub, make a cracking shooooom shooooooom shoooooom, come with funky skewers, spare spokes, warranty. Look well funky, perfectly true out of the box as still perfect.

ridden down gravel tracks, rubbish roads, wind, rain, sun.

very recommended. far better value than Hunts at twice the price.

not sure why you are asking if they would survive a pothole - bit strange question.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    The Prime black disc wheels are currently £900 so a very similar price to the hunts.
  • MattFalle
    similar more or similar less?

exactly the same component parts by the way.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,147
    I have Prime 38mm on my Ribble (ordinary boring not Black edition).

Thoroughly recommended.

Survived rain, potholes, numpty maintenance.

Light, cheap, look good, modern profiles (i.e. wide) - what's not to like?
  • joeyhalloran

The Prime black disc wheels are currently £900 so a very similar price to the hunts.

Similar as in £200 more for the Prime
  • ibr17xvii
    I’m gonna get a pair of the 38’s when they eventually come back into stock.

The 50’s are available but being a light rider I’m not too sure how stable I’d be if it was windy.

I only have a 42mm deep set on my summer bike so it would be a bit strange to have deeper rims on the winter steed.
  • MattFalle

Similar as in £200 more for the Prime
    don't know where you're looking but in the hunt site just now carbon disc 50s are £250 more than Prime carbon disc 50s

Prime it is then.
  • joeyhalloran
    Yeah, they're the cheaper option which look good value but definitely not "the same components" as they're ~200g heavier
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,147
    The rims will be very similar, if not identical. The Primes linked to used to be the budget model with J bend spokes. You probably will have 100gs more in the hub, a bit for the spokes, a bit for the fact Hunt weigh without rim tape and Prime do.

On the road, not likely to feel much difference.

If you want cheap carbon then IMO the basic Primes are very hard to beat. If you want something a bit more than basic the it gets a lot more competitive, with the Hunts, Black Edition Primes, Scribe, plus all coming in a couple of hundred more. There are also slightly more left field choices like the Chinese brands with UK distributors like Yeoleo and Winspace.

Personally I would either go for basic Primes @ c£500 or if you wanted something lighter, better etc. then Winspace Hypers @£1000, or the Hunt UD carbons @£1250; or if you wanted more aero Hunt Limitless @£1000. IMO The Hunts and Black Editions don't really have enough advantage to warrant the extra £2-300 over the basic Primes, especially when the rims and more or less identical.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420

The rims will be very similar, if not identical. The Primes linked to used to be the budget model with J bend spokes. You probably will have 100gs more in the hub, a bit for the spokes, a bit for the fact Hunt weigh without rim tape and Prime do.

If you want cheap carbon then IMO the basic Primes are very hard to beat. If you want something a bit more than basic the it gets a lot more competitive, with the Hunts, Black Edition Primes, Scribe, plus all coming in a couple of hundred more. There are also slightly more left field choices like the Chinese brands with UK distributors like Yeoleo and Winspace.

Personally I would either go for basic Primes @ c£500 or if you wanted something lighter, better etc. then Winspace Hypers @£1000, or the Hunt UD carbons @£1250; or if you wanted more aero Hunt Limitless @£1000. IMO The Hunts and Black Editions don't really have enough advantage to warrant the extra £2-300 over the basic Primes, especially when the rims and more or less identical.

Very helpful post davo 👍
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited March 2022
    I was looking at exactly the same wheels but whenever I tried to buy them they were out of stock so I ended up getting these:
    https://www.edco-wheels.co.uk/product/all-road-maloja-2/

They're often in the sale.

I can't really compare as they're the only wheel like that I've ridden but a few things to note

a) i'm very happy with them

b) they get written up as very solid, reliable, fastish - not super light but not heavy either and above all, great in crosswinds. The write ups also say the braking is great - I can't compare but I have no problems with them.

I've never had a problem in cross winds before but I never rode deep rims. I'm around 60 kilos and I ride in the flatlands and I've still not had any problems in cross-winds, so I suspect there's something it it.

They do look great - the matt black with the glossy black logo looks smart.

I went for the narrower option as I have an old bike, so the clearance was narrow.

They're remarkably comfortable versus the old Mavic Aksium wheels I had.
  • MattFalle

this.
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2022

Yeah, they're the cheaper option which look good value but definitely not "the same components" as they're ~200g heavier

soz J - same components just more expensive.

its been discussed several times on here before and SD has summarised it perfectly.

hunt are also well known for, errr, massaging the weight figures.
  • joeyhalloran
    ha! Sure, and I am the same as MVdP, sure, I am a bit 20kg heavier with lungs and heart half the size but I'm exactly the same as him.

I actually agree with Rick's post above too btw
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

I was looking at exactly the same wheels but whenever I tried to buy them they were out of stock so I ended up getting these:

I can't really compare as they're the only wheel like that I've ridden but a few things to note

b) they get written up as very solid, reliable, fastish - not super light but not heavy either and above all, great in crosswinds. The write ups also say the braking is great - I can't compare but I have no problems with them.

I've never had a problem in cross winds before but I never rode deep rims. I'm around 60 kilos and I ride in the flatlands and I've still not had any problems in cross-winds, so I suspect there's something it it.

I went for the narrower option as I have an old bike, so the clearance was narrow.

They look like one of those companies that will continue to acknowledge the existence of rim brakes, as well.

What sort of hubs do they have?
  • rick_chasey
    Erm, they're their own brand alloy hubs (I am at the very limits of my knowledge).

Seem to run smoothly. The engagement on the rear hub is almost instant.

• MattFalle

ha! Sure, and I am the same as MVdP, sure, I am a bit 20kg heavier with lungs and heart half the size but I'm exactly the same as him.

I actually agree with Rick's post above too btw

errr, yeah. right.
  • ibr17xvii

I know literally nothing about Edco & appreciate totally what you say about stock levels but TBH I'd be more tempted to go for the Prime RR50 (which are actually in stock at the minute) & are currently priced at £474.99.

If the RR38 don't come back into stock in the coming months I think I'll have to go for the RR50's & hope they aren't too twitchy in the wind.
  • rick_chasey
    I think they used to make wheels for a lot of other manufacturers for a while but have gone it alone more recently.

Have made stuff for the pro-peloton in the past albeit not under their own name.

Swiss.
  • MattFalle

sorry J, but you're wrong on the weights as well.

So, Joey's Hunts that he paid top dollar for are more expensive and heavier than the cheaper and lighter Primes everyone else recommending.

okey dokey.

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    edited March 2022
    Hey Matt you must have some strong reasons for hating Hunts, as you sound like a borderline bunny boiler every time someone mentions them - what did they do?
  • singleton said:

Hey Matt you must have some strong reasons for hating Hunts, as you sound like a borderline bunny boiler every time someone mentions them - what did they do?

Someone from a local club beat him in a TT on a 105 5800 bike with a Hunt wheel upgrade. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle
    singleton said:

ripped off hard working people for relatively average products basically.

nothing wrong with pointing out to people that just as good/better products are available to them at a cheaper price.

why? are you sore that you bought sone or do you just love the brand?
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2022

singleton said:

Someone from a local club beat him in a TT on a 105 5800 bike with a Hunt wheel upgrade. ;)
    yeah, no, yeah, no but i was having an off day/my tyre pressures weren't right/i had raised (or lowered, can't remember which) my saddle too much/i bought the wrong socks with me/it was Tony Martin wearing a mask

shut up 😀😀😀