MattFalle said:

right, gen up eyebrows...

How did you know?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Edwyn was going on about it being the Dolphin series or some suchshit when i bought it because of the shape of the case?

You have yourself a rather nice Seiko 'Turtle' there MF.
    grazie!

is that a good thing?
    Yep.

However if you want to go serious diver...

Not being funny here, but with the possible exception of MF, how many divers watch owners have even gone snorkeling in Sharm?
    Mine is on about 50 dives.

Honestly? Diving wasn't for me. Been extremely lucky to dive a few national parks and now restricted areas and maybe I'm spoiled, but I just didn't get the bug.
    Surely Shirley, it's better to dive in lakes or the sea?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited March 2022
    Bog snorkelling
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,547
    MattFalle said:

@Stevo_666: whats that?

The rather naughtily named Ball Deepquest :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Edwyn was going on about it being the Dolphin series or some suchshit when i bought it because of the shape of the case?

grazie!

is that a good thing?
    Yep.

Not being funny here, but with the possible exception of MF, how many divers watch owners have even gone snorkeling in Sharm?
    Who cares? I like dive watches.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

grazie!

is that a good thing?
    Yep.

Honestly? Diving wasn't for me. Been extremely lucky to dive a few national parks and now restricted areas and maybe I'm spoiled, but I just didn't get the bug.
    Ha! Stick that up your pipe and smoke it First Aspect 😃
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn

is that a good thing?

A lot of Seiko models have nicknames, largely derived from the case shape; turtle, tuna, samurai etc. Most were given by seiko fans and have now been adopted by Seiko as official names.

The Turtle is called so as it resembles a turtle shell, they are one of the more popular Seiko lines. I have one myself, a Prospex diver similar to yours. They are very nice watches and great value IMO.
    A Seiko is all the watch you need really. Nice little history in the movies helps with the cool factor. Captain Willard wears the Seiko turtle Apocalypse Now.

I have an SKX which I really should wear more often. The 12 second loss every day gets on my t!ts a little though.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

grazie!

is that a good thing?
    Yep.

It's a waterproof watch?
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Getting back to the original purpose of the thread, I’m wearing it today. I feel dirty.
  • shirley_basso
    And that's the crux of it.
  • seanoconn
    I don’t know it it was mentioned earlier in the thread but there are so many Rolex fakes around that if you are wearing a genuine watch, people will probably assume it’s a fake.

Unless you exude wealth generally.
  • johngti
    seanoconn said:

I don’t know it it was mentioned earlier in the thread but there are so many Rolex fakes around that if you are wearing a genuine watch, people will probably assume it’s a fake.

You’ve obviously met me ;)
  • Stevo_666

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

grazie!

is that a good thing?
    Yep.

It's a waterproof watch?
    I think you're I'm the wrong thread, FA. This is a thread for people who are interested in watches ;)
  • Stevo_666
    johngti said:

Getting back to the original purpose of the thread, I’m wearing it today. I feel dirty.

Buy a Steinhart and feel clean again...
  • shirley_basso
    I saw a guy yesterday with what I can only describe as a root beer Submariner (dial and bezel) but Google doesn't show up anything similar, even homages.

Any ideas? Looked superb. Pretty certain it wasn't a GMT, too.
  • Stevo_666

I saw a guy yesterday with what I can only describe as a root beer Submariner (dial and bezel) but Google doesn't show up anything similar, even homages.

Any ideas? Looked superb. Pretty certain it wasn't a GMT, too.

Plenty around if you're prepared to pay through the nostrils
    https://chrono24.co.uk/rolex/root-beer--imod2763.htm#gref
  • shirley_basso
    Yeah I looked here - but all GMTs. This definitely looked more like a Submariner, as it had a single-colour bezel and a rootbeer dial. Stainless, not gold.
  • Stevo_666

Yeah I looked here - but all GMTs. This definitely looked more like a Submariner, as it had a single-colour bezel and a rootbeer dial. Stainless, not gold.

Ah OK - in which case possibly a good quality fake?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    seanoconn said:

generally people who 'exude wealth' aren't actually proper wealthy.

real wealth don't exude nothing. it just shooms along, slightly unkempt, slightly bashed car, nice and polite.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • shirley_basso
    edited March 2022
    Could well have been - but why get a good quality fake in a colourway which never existed!

Just re-checked on chrono the cost of the daytona I like. Gone up from £15k to £30k. Wtf. (albeit brown strap)

• MattFalle
    johngti said:

nah.

by tomorrow you'll be fine with it.

much like the nuclear apocalypse episode, you're overthinking it my son.
  • seanoconn
    MattFalle said:

seanoconn said:

real wealth don't exude nothing. it just shooms along, slightly unkempt, slightly bashed car, nice and polite.
    Old money
  • Stevo_666

Could well have been - but why get a good quality fake in a colourway which never existed!

Just re-checked on chrono the cost of the daytona I like. Gone up from £15k to £30k. Wtf. (albeit brown strap)

Rolex market is bonkers at the moment, just as well I'm not fussed about them.

Wonder how much they could charge for one that actually tells you what the date is...
  • Yeah I looked here - but all GMTs. This definitely looked more like a Submariner, as it had a single-colour bezel and a rootbeer dial. Stainless, not gold.

Did it look like a vintage watch? Older GMT references had a single colour bezel and root beer dial and could easily be mistaken for a sub. If so, he was wearing a pretty valuable watch!
  • A Seiko is all the watch you need really. Nice little history in the movies helps with the cool factor. Captain Willard wears the Seiko turtle Apocalypse Now.

Yes, I think they are great watches. Had a vague memory of that, good reason to watch Apocalypse Now again, haven't seen it for years!
  • MattFalle
    seanoconn said:

MattFalle said:

seanoconn said:

Old money
    yup. proper money.

why buy a Bentley like everyone rlse when you have a 200 roomed mansion tgats been the family for 76 generations?
  • MattFalle

A Seiko is all the watch you need really. Nice little history in the movies helps with the cool factor. Captain Willard wears the Seiko turtle Apocalypse Now.

Yes, I think they are great watches. Had a vague memory of that, good reason to watch Apocalypse Now again, haven't seen it for years!
    our watches are mega. far better than all this shiteveryone else here is wearing.
  • MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

Rolex market is bonkers at the moment, just as well I'm not fussed about them.

Wonder how much they could charge for one that actually tells you what the date is...
    that's honking. wouldn't wear it if you paid me.
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

nah.

by tomorrow you'll be fine with it.

much like the nuclear apocalypse episode, you're overthinking it my son.
    I didn’t say that feeling dirty was a bad thing ;)
  • our watches are mega

🐢🐢