Is it ever ok to wear a fake watch?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    edited March 2022
    My expensive watches are in an electric box next to me spinning around, until christmas i usually wore one or other of them daily, then i got a Garmin watch which is on my wrist 24/7 unless charging. I've also got in the drawer underneath the winder thingy: another Garmin watch, 2 Swatches, a Seiko, a G-Shock (I love this one, it's my favourite quartz watch) and a Sekonda.
    All of them get worn, but I don't wear any of them to make a statement.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    edited March 2022
    I'm waiting on my dad's 1960s Omega that I've had my eye on since I was a kid. He bought it whilst on tour.
    My daily is either and old Sekonda wind up that was my grandads, a simple steel bracelet Seiko that was a 21st gift from Tashwife or a Casio Ediface chunky number. All have memories attached to them
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    I would like this, (with a refurbished face):

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/wittnauer/242t--id22070865.htm

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Tashman said:

I'm waiting on my dad's 1960s Omega that I've had my eye on since I was a kid. He bought it whilst on tour.
    My daily is either and old Sekonda wind up that was my grandads, a simple steel bracelet Seiko that was a 21st gift from Tashwife or a Casio Ediface chunky number. All have memories attached to them

The 1950s mechanical gold Omegas with white linen dials are beautiful and not *too* expensive. £5-£600 or so
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Like the gears on my bike I prefer mechanical to electric.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701

My expensive watches are in an electric box next to me spinning around, until christmas i usually wore one or other of them daily, then i got a Garmin watch which is on my wrist 24/7 unless charging. I've also got in the drawer underneath the winder thingy: another Garmin watch, 2 Swatches, a Seiko, a G-Shock (I love this one, it's my favourite quartz watch) and a Sekonda.

This is yet another strange behaviour from "watchies".

Presumably you are talking about self-winding watches? Which means you have a watch that doesn't need a battery, but you use electrical power to avoid the need for one? That's up there with using your oven to heat the home isn't it?

Also, surely you can wind them up if you fancy wearing one? Mine does, and the basic mechanism is from a £200 watch.
  • shirley_basso
    It's a funny one - some say it's to stop the lubricants settling at the bottom of the watch and seizing up, but on the other hand it just wears out components.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701
    What lubricants? Surely just grease, and then microscopic amounts?

It's just a silly boys thing isn't it, be honest.
  • shirley_basso
    edited March 2022
    "some say"

If I had a 50k watch, I'd certainly be wondering!

I wear my automatic watch every day. The mechanical one sits in a drawer, but it's only £500 watch.
  • pinno

Which means you have a watch that doesn't need a battery, but you use electrical power to avoid the need for one? That's up there with using your oven to heat the home isn't it?

This is tongue in cheek, surely?

One has to admire the mechanisms in a watch.
    Watches (bar a few exceptions of use) are pretty obsolete now.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    edited March 2022
    Not worth as much as you'd think but this is the family hand-me-down that I got passed on to me for my 50th. An 1876 Waltham which still keeps good time.
    The extremely heavy gold chain will follow one day.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    Absolutely stunning.
  • pinno
    Fob watches can be quite beautiful. Although I am not a lover of gold.
    My Grandmother left 2 to my mother and they were sold to help towards buying a house in 1981. They fetched £400 and £600 then.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    My heirloom gold fob watch was somehow appropriated by my cousin after my grandad went to live with my auntie.
    I suspect it was sold pretty soon afterwards. Funny how these things still annoy after nearly 40 years. :'(
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    pinno said:

Fob watches can be quite beautiful. Although I am not a lover of gold.
    My Grandmother left 2 to my mother and they were sold to help towards buying a house in 1981. They fetched £400 and £600 then.

I'd tend to agree but it is not really the done thing to tell the older relatives that the watch bought 150 years ago is in the wrong material. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    I think they call that being fobbed off.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615

This is yet another strange behaviour from "watchies".

Presumably you are talking about self-winding watches? Which means you have a watch that doesn't need a battery, but you use electrical power to avoid the need for one? That's up there with using your oven to heat the home isn't it?

Also, surely you can wind them up if you fancy wearing one? Mine does, and the basic mechanism is from a £200 watch.
    As with other geeky hobbies there is some stuff that's looks a bit odd to people who aren't that fussed. Although I don't have one myself, I do have one watch that's got a 7 day power reserve so can leave it for a week without it stopping.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Which means you have a watch that doesn't need a battery, but you use electrical power to avoid the need for one? That's up there with using your oven to heat the home isn't it?

This is tongue in cheek, surely?

One has to admire the mechanisms in a watch.
    Watches (bar a few exceptions of use) are pretty obsolete now.

Some of the ones with see though case backs are good to look at.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

What lubricants? Surely just grease, and then microscopic amounts?

It's just a silly boys thing isn't it, be honest.

Yep :)
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I put the submariner fake on this morning, thinking I’d try it out. Took it off again and put my Citizen watch on instead. Felt a bit weird. Don’t know why - the power reserve keeps it going for about 36 hours (I tested it!), and in that period it kept pretty much perfect time, maybe a couple of seconds lost.

I need to get over it!!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    johngti said:

I put the submariner fake on this morning, thinking I’d try it out. Took it off again and put my Citizen watch on instead. Felt a bit weird. Don’t know why - the power reserve keeps it going for about 36 hours (I tested it!), and in that period it kept pretty much perfect time, maybe a couple of seconds lost.

I need to get over it!!

is that the gold one or the acceptable one?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • shirley_basso
    Have you got a better photo of it?

A few tells of fakes which are hard to tell from the pics (I am a total novice)
    • Magnification of the date may be poor/ wrong
    • Some dates may be in bold text vs genuine
    • Date flip won't be instant at midnight - may lag 30 mins to an hour
    • Changing the time - the hands move the wrong way when you turn the crown (can't remember correct direction)
    • Lettering on the dial not accurate / precise
      (see here for a genuine dial up close, albeit on a fake watch - scroll to 16610 LN )
      https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/157328-a-fistful-of-5-digit-frankensubs/
    • not flush where straps meet the case

Yours is an older Submariner, with reference 16610 (so dates do 90s or so) so easier to get away with as its less likely someone will put a genuine one next to it.

• shirley_basso
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

I need to get over it!!

the gold one is a yachtmaster and is almost certainly fake
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

I need to get over it!!

the gold one is a yachtmaster and is almost certainly fake
    its also frickin' horrible.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

I need to get over it!!

The acceptable one. The gold one is awful (looks-wise)
  • johngti

Have you got a better photo of it?

A few tells of fakes which are hard to tell from the pics (I am a total novice)

• Magnification of the date may be poor/ wrong
    • Some dates may be in bold text vs genuine
    • Date flip won't be instant at midnight - may lag 30 mins to an hour
    • Changing the time - the hands move the wrong way when you turn the crown (can't remember correct direction)
    • Lettering on the dial not accurate / precise
      (see here for a genuine dial up close, albeit on a fake watch - scroll to 16610 LN )
      https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/157328-a-fistful-of-5-digit-frankensubs/
    • not flush where straps meet the case

Yours is an older Submariner, with reference 16610 (so dates do 90s or so) so easier to get away with as its less likely someone will put a genuine one next to it.

I’ll post a couple later. It definitely is fake but not too bad a fake. Perhaps not as well done as the ones you linked to, mind.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Don't ever wear a fake watch through a land border, especially not a Swiss one.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    This has to be the worst fake Rolex (the real watch is horrible too).

nicknamed the "gaytona"
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • shirley_basso
    Worse than the leopard print dial one?

John Mayer has strong positive views on those bling Daytonas.
  • Stevo_666

Worse than the leopard print dial one?

John Mayer has strong positive views on those bling Daytonas.

I thought John Mayer only had eyes for IWC Big Pilot watches? (which would make him a man of very good taste in my books).