First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Worse than the leopard print dial one?

John Mayer has strong positive views on those bling Daytonas.

I thought John Mayer only had eyes for IWC Big Pilot watches? (which would make him a man of very good taste in my books).
    Not knowing who John Mayer is I googled him. He sounds a right ar*e and if he’s an advocate for good taste in watches I’d rather wear a fake.
    I liked the bit where he tried to sue his watch supplier for selling him watches with counterfeit parts and had withdraw his allegations.
    I'm talking about the particular watch above, not what he's like as a person. If you're not interested in the watches, fine. I like them though.

I must confess that having no knowledge of it 'Big Pilot' as a name sounds like it would be really naff, but I rather like that.
    It's kinda does what it says on the tin - it's big and it's a modern take of the old WW2 airmens watches (the German ones actually). I like it lots
    It just looks like a watch to me.

How is it the price of a nice car more than this?

What the market will bear, as usual. Quality and workmanship on this mini mechanical marvel is outstanding. And rarity value - there were only 250 of that particular left handed variant ever made. And there should be no problem getting your money back or a bit of a profit come sale time for the right versions. The watch shaped object you posted will probably end up going in the bin so will cost you more in the end...

But if you're not into watches (as you clearly aren't), it will never make any sense to you.
    No, I'm not.

Seems that they aren't valued as time pieces, but instead more like collectibles. Like the last remaining Panini sticker. Or a particular pair of trainers.

Which I also don't really understand....
    That's about right - there people who do collect them, although I'm not in it to make money.

Anyhow, each to their own - whatever gives you a bit of pleasure in life/makes you happy. Plenty of people will never understand why anyone would spend several grand on a bike.
    Fair point. Or a car for that matter.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    I really like the watches but...
    Do not need one and the thing that really grates me, is the perceived status - in other words, people are going to use the watch you are wearing as a yardstick of how wealthy you are.

Pity really.

I hate the perceived status of owning a 911. I didn't buy it for status.
    And it is a perception. At a local garage was an Audi Q5 on the ramp. The owner was there and when I walked in, he made some comment about a 'high roller' turning up.
    I dismissed it and asked him what was wrong with the Audi. 'Oh, needs new pads, discs and sensors all round'.
    Later, I asked the garage owner (he's a friend) what the cost was and was told £1700 plus VAT. I had to giggle. I had just replaced (myself) front discs (vented Brembo) @ £80 each and Pagid pads - £60.

So if I bought one of those vintage Wittnauer pilot watches, it would never get worn.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    pinno said:

I really like the watches but...
    Do not need one and the thing that really grates me, is the perceived status - in other words, people are going to use the watch you are wearing as a yardstick of how wealthy you are.

Pity really.

I hate the perceived status of owning a 911. I didn't buy it for status.
    And it is a perception. At a local garage was an Audi Q5 on the ramp. The owner was there and when I walked in, he made some comment about a 'high roller' turning up.
    I dismissed it and asked him what was wrong with the Audi. 'Oh, needs new pads, discs and sensors all round'.
    Later, I asked the garage owner (he's a friend) what the cost was and was told £1700 plus VAT. I had to giggle. I had just replaced (myself) front discs (vented Brembo) @ £80 each and Pagid pads - £60.

So if I bought one of those vintage Wittnauer pilot watches, it would never get worn.

Can't see a problem in Stranraer - a G-Shock will mark you out as a man of means.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    edited March 2022
    G-shock?! Bloody sundial would do.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    grazie mille everyone re Tudor bits - much appreciated.

had heard of them but knew nothing. now i am #fullofknowledge
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    pinno said:

In Scotland? Who are you trying to kid?
  • pinno
    johngti said:

pinno said:

In Scotland? Who are you trying to kid?
    Yeah alright, you got me.
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

Knowledgeable enough to go shopping?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    I guess the bunch of local thicko's would probably wonder why I was wearing some shabby old watch.

• MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

lets see how the next few months go shall we? 😎😎😎
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Oh go on, you only live once...
  • MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Oh go on, you only live once...
    nah. i'm fuckingbulletproof.

they'll never get me.
  • MattFalle
    right, gen up eyebrows/robocop: apart from feeling smug, will it work any better than the £500 Seiko divers watch I currently have?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    MattFalle said:

right, gen up eyebrows/robocop: apart from feeling smug, will it work any better than the £500 Seiko divers watch I currently have?

Which seiko diver do you have?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

Not for telling the time, but for pulling the burds it'd be in another league, especially in Wales :)
  • MattFalle
    seanoconn said:

MattFalle said:

Which seiko diver do you have?

• MattFalle
    Edwyn was going on about it being the Dolphin series or some suchshit when i bought it because of the shape of the case?
  • Edwyn was going on about it being the Dolphin series or some suchshit when i bought it because of the shape of the case?

You have yourself a rather nice Seiko 'Turtle' there MF.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519

My expensive watches are in an electric box next to me spinning around, until christmas i usually wore one or other of them daily, then i got a Garmin watch which is on my wrist 24/7 unless charging. I've also got in the drawer underneath the winder thingy: another Garmin watch, 2 Swatches, a Seiko, a G-Shock (I love this one, it's my favourite quartz watch) and a Sekonda.
    All of them get worn, but I don't wear any of them to make a statement.

This is yet another strange behaviour from "watchies".

Presumably you are talking about self-winding watches? Which means you have a watch that doesn't need a battery, but you use electrical power to avoid the need for one? That's up there with using your oven to heat the home isn't it?

Also, surely you can wind them up if you fancy wearing one? Mine does, and the basic mechanism is from a £200 watch.
    It simply depends on what you want to spend your money on, and what you do with those things when you've go them. I've bought watches, bikes, cars, motorcycles, shoes which I've ignored or abused and then sold at a loss or binned. I've bought some which I've cossetted, had serviced and sold at a profit (not shoes, granted) and some which I still have. The automatic watches are in an electric winder because that's what is recommended.
    I used to wear each of them frequently enough not to need to keep them mobile, now I don't.

• MattFalle

Edwyn was going on about it being the Dolphin series or some suchshit when i bought it because of the shape of the case?

grazie!

is that a good thing?
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2022
    MattFalle said:

grazie!

is that a good thing?
    Yep.

However if you want to go serious diver...

• is that a good thing?

A lot of Seiko models have nicknames, largely derived from the case shape; turtle, tuna, samurai etc. Most were given by seiko fans and have now been adopted by Seiko as official names.

The Turtle is called so as it resembles a turtle shell, they are one of the more popular Seiko lines. I have one myself, a Prospex diver similar to yours. They are very nice watches and great value IMO.
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2022
    @Stevo_666: whats that?
  • MattFalle

is that a good thing?

A lot of Seiko models have nicknames, largely derived from the case shape; turtle, tuna, samurai etc. Most were given by seiko fans and have now been adopted by Seiko as official names.

The Turtle is called so as it resembles a turtle shell, they are one of the more popular Seiko lines. I have one myself, a Prospex diver similar to yours. They are very nice watches and great value IMO.
    great minds thinking alike then, yah?
  • great minds thinking alike then, yah?

As always!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    That's the thing with Tudor for me - I don't like the hands (appreciate its very personal)

As for you two numbskulls - fools never differ ;)
  • MattFalle

That's the thing with Tudor for me - I don't like the hands (appreciate its very personal)

yeah, well, shut up.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    edited March 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

grazie!

is that a good thing?
    Yep.

Not being funny here, but with the possible exception of MF, how many divers watch owners have even gone snorkeling in Sharm?
  • shirley_basso
    edited March 2022
    MattFalle said:

yeah, well, shut up.
    Now we're talking (were talking, sorry)
  • shirley_basso

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

grazie!

is that a good thing?
    Yep.

Not being funny here, but with the possible exception of MF, how many divers watch owners have even gone snorkeling in Sharm?
    Mine is on about 50 dives.

Honestly? Diving wasn't for me. Been extremely lucky to dive a few national parks and now restricted areas and maybe I'm spoiled, but I just didn't get the bug.