Is it ever ok to wear a fake watch?

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

johngti said:

These are they. I put the leather strap on the steel one.

I like the one on the left. Matches my gold tooth and necklace.
    I’m going to get hydraulic suspension fitted to my scenic next weekend. Get a bit of low riding going (that’s what the cool kids call it isn’t it?)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Or just get a 'homage' brand like one of these for a few hundred quid. Decent mechanical movement and build quality and most people can't tell the difference unless they get up close and know what they're on about.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • johngti
    Stevo_666 said:

Or just get a 'homage' brand like one of these for a few hundred quid. Decent mechanical movement and build quality and most people can't tell the difference unless they get up close and know what they're on about.

Nice! I would get one but wasn’t really in the market. I wouldn’t buy one of these fakes, kind of stumbled into getting them.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

johngti said:

These are they. I put the leather strap on the steel one.

I like the one on the left. Matches my gold tooth and necklace.
    fuckme.

sell them.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    actually, one on the right just looks like a "diver's watch" so you'll get away with it.

one on the left, you'll need either a pig farm, scrapyard or loan company to get away with.
  • Stevo_666
    johngti said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nice! I would get one but wasn’t really in the market. I wouldn’t buy one of these fakes, kind of stumbled into getting them.
    I get it.

If you like the Rolex submariner look, I can recommend Steinharts. Go shopping here with some of the money you'll save by leasing your next car :smile:
    https://steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch/diver-watch-42mm.html
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2022
    CWC diver's watch.

had one for about 15 years and it went to some very interesting places. Utterly loved it, so much sentimental value, never missed a beat. Looked mint all trashed up, so many stories.

Somefucker of a builder stole it while doing work to our house.

Utterly gutted.
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2022
    https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/divers-watches

these. functional, bullet proof, mega cool.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    I bought a fake Rolex once in the Dubai 'jewellery quarter' or whatever the correct name is. Failed to last the taxi ride back to the hotel before going wrong. $19. Worth it for the bantz with the dodgy guys, like a 20 minute haggle. It got binned.

My tan lines show no watch is worn. Not a corporate hamster wheel clockwatcher any more.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    MattFalle said:

Unless it can tell you things like the depth you are at and whether you are going to get the bends and die in horrible pain, it's just a waterproof watch.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    You're not buying them so you're not the one funding the fakery, wear one if you like it and don't give a monkeys what others think.
  • Stevo_666
    Found the ideal teachers watch. You all have beards and glasses don't you?

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Can you get a tweed and leather strap to match the jacket and elbow patches?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    What could you legitimately get for them anyway?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • johngti
    pinno said:

What could you legitimately get for them anyway?

Nothing. Selling counterfeit goods in the UK is illegal, even if you say they're fake. I looked into it.
  • johngti

Can you get a tweed and leather strap to match the jacket and elbow patches?

That's assuming that I don't already...
  • johngti
    Stevo_666 said:

Found the ideal teachers watch. You all have beards and glasses don't you?

That's excellent!!
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

Fair play, they look very nice
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2022

MattFalle said:

Unless it can tell you things like the depth you are at and whether you are going to get the bends and die in horrible pain, it's just a waterproof watch.
    negatron ghost rider.

that stuff you have a dedicated dive computer, not an overpriced watch with loads of bits on that ypu can't read underwater because its too small and can't use on land because its too big.

double set up never failed to work for us, but then again we weren't dentists or lawyers doing a PADI open water course in Kho Samui.

difference between doing it and doing it i suppose.
  • MattFalle
    Rolex used to be standard issue dove watch as well but so many "got lost" they stopped issuing them.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

negatron ghost rider.

that stuff you have a dedicated dive computer, not an overpriced watch with loads of bits on that ypu can't read underwater because its too small and can't use on land because its too big.

double set up never failed to work for us, but then again we weren't dentists or lawyers doing a PADI open water course in Kho Samui.

Deep down you really wanted to be a lawyer diving in Cozumel.

You know they make dive computers small enough to wear on your wrist these days, right?
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2022

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

negatron ghost rider.

You know they make dive computers small enough to wear on your wrist these days, right?
    tbh, sounds bloody nice. count me in for some of that.

yup and no thanks if you're doing it properly.

fine for 2 day dives and a sun bathe in Cozumel but if you're proper working? nah thanks fam.

theres wearing and wearing my friend.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

negatron ghost rider.

fine for 2 day dives and a sun bathe in Cozumel but if you're proper working? nah thanks fam.

The real divers are the commercial ones. Who smoke so they use less air and spend a day or two getting back to the surface.

Nutters.
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    Have you tried asking Alexa?
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

negatron ghost rider.

The real divers are the commercial ones. Who smoke so they use less air and spend a day or two getting back to the surface.

Nutters.
    agree - have worked with some in the past.

its the north sea oil rig and equiv locs lads who are truly mental. wouldn't catch me doing that in a month if Sundays.

#lunatics
  • MattFalle

Have you tried asking Alexa?

i tried but she played some random Finnish radio station instead for unfathomable reason.

must be my accent.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I don't see anything wrong with wearing a nice / expensive watch. Unless you're born into wealth, they often signifiy an important milestone (first bonus, inheritance, mortgage paid off etc.) and it's nice to have a reminder of the moment.
  • Rolex used to be standard issue dove watch as well but so many "got lost" they stopped issuing them.

This is a nice vid on military issue watches, the chap talking about his seems like a dude.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OK7Ua-73TZs
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    You'd only have the correct time twice a day though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle

Rolex used to be standard issue dove watch as well but so many "got lost" they stopped issuing them.

This is a nice vid on military issue watches, the chap talking about his seems like a dude.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OK7Ua-73TZs
    grazie!