Is it ever ok to wear a fake watch?

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    As promised:

• I thought John Mayer only had eyes for IWC Big Pilot watches? (which would make him a man of very good taste in my books).

He does have a collection of Big Pilot's but he also has one of the most valuable watch collections of any collector out there, particularly heavy on rare Rolex and Patek. He has a Rolex 6269 and 6270, which are the bling princess and baguette cut diamond encrusted daytona's. Those two watches alone are probably now worth a couple of million dollars. He is also one of the few people Patek accept commission's from.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615

I thought John Mayer only had eyes for IWC Big Pilot watches? (which would make him a man of very good taste in my books).

He does have a collection of Big Pilot's but he also has one of the most valuable watch collections of any collector out there, particularly heavy on rare Rolex and Patek. He has a Rolex 6269 and 6270, which are the bling princess and baguette cut diamond encrusted daytona's. Those two watches alone are probably now worth a couple of million dollars. He is also one of the few people Patek accept commission's from.

Ah, OK got it. I knew who he was when I was doing a bit of research on Big Pilots - got the impression from what I saw that was the main bit of his collection.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    johngti said:

As promised:

don't know anything about the intricacies of it all but I'd wear that.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

As promised:

don't know anything about the intricacies of it all but I'd wear that.
    Yeah, going to I think. Might get a nato strap and pretend I’m James Bond (think Connery wore one).

The gold one can go to a colleague who does props for school plays. Might get used that way.
  • MattFalle
    The NATO straps are cool and last forever.

My current Seiko dive watch has a rubber strap but its getting a NATO one as soon as that dies.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

Worse than the leopard print dial one?

John Mayer has strong positive views on those bling Daytonas.

I thought John Mayer only had eyes for IWC Big Pilot watches? (which would make him a man of very good taste in my books).
    Not knowing who John Mayer is I googled him. He sounds a right ar*e and if he’s an advocate for good taste in watches I’d rather wear a fake.
    I liked the bit where he tried to sue his watch supplier for selling him watches with counterfeit parts and had withdraw his allegations.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited March 2022
    Check the interview on hodinkee. He's clearly a watch lover.

As for the photos - most of it looks acceptable to my eye. I'm far from an expert but the datewheel looks a bit odd but that could be the perspective.

The pearl holder at 12 (I know the pearl has fallen out but that's by the by) looks wrong as well.

This watch looks great with a NATO strap:

https://flic.kr/p/2hNp5N5

(My former fake)
  • johngti
    Yeah, the pearl holder is just ever so slightly off being lined up properly. Other than that they appear to have made an effort, even down to the Rolex crown etched onto the glass.
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

My current Seiko dive watch has a rubber strap but its getting a NATO one as soon as that dies.

How about this one? - quite topical. I've ordered one (the strap not the watch) - all proceeds to the Red Cross.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

How about this one? - quite topical. I've ordered one (the strap not the watch) - all proceeds to the Red Cross.

ooh - we like that.

link?
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not knowing who John Mayer is I googled him. He sounds a right ar*e and if he’s an advocate for good taste in watches I’d rather wear a fake.
    I liked the bit where he tried to sue his watch supplier for selling him watches with counterfeit parts and had withdraw his allegations.
    I'm talking about the particular watch above, not what he's like as a person. If you're not interested in the watches, fine. I like them though.

• Stevo_666
    edited March 2022
    MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

ooh - we like that.

link?
    Here you go - 'fraid it was a limited run and they're not taking any more orders but if you Google Ukraine NATO watch straps or something like that, there are others.

https://thestraptailor.com/product/ltd-charity-edition-ribbed-nato-watch-strap-ukraine/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm talking about the particular watch above, not what he's like as a person. If you're not interested in the watches, fine. I like them though.

I must confess that having no knowledge of it 'Big Pilot' as a name sounds like it would be really naff, but I rather like that.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    johngti said:

As promised:

From 2005 Rolex started engraving the serial number on the inner bezel making it harder for counterfeiters.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said he had good taste as he liked that that watch which I agree is very nice. Which would suggest I also have good taste.
    However that is clearly not the case given the amount of time I spend on here.
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Ooh Tudor. Haven’t worn mine since last summer. My wrist shrinks in winter and I can’t stand a watch bracelet sliding up and down my arm. I tried it on a leather strap two winters ago but it pinged off my wrist as I was putting my rucksack on and cost £500 to replace the crystal!

I’d love the micro adjustable bracelet the submariner comes with.
  • seanoconn

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

I must confess that having no knowledge of it 'Big Pilot' as a name sounds like it would be really naff, but I rather like that.
    Do you still have that ladies watch you were wearing last time I saw you?
  • MattFalle
    Tell me about Tudor watches.

Whats the score with them over, say Rolex and the rest?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

It's kinda does what it says on the tin - it's big and it's a modern take of the old WW2 airmens watches (the German ones actually). I like it lots
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

Good make. Tudor is Rolexes little brother - Rolex owns the Tudor brand. Some say they're a poor man's Rolex (usually Rolex owners) - they're less pricey and more available, I think some of them are pretty cool. I fancy this one:

• Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said he had good taste as he liked that that watch which I agree is very nice. Which would suggest I also have good taste.
    That's a fair point...
  • seanoconn
    MattFalle said:

The Hans Wilsdorf the Rolex founder, wanted to make a more affordable Brand. As a sister company of Rolex, you get the quality without the hefty price tag (relative) but not quite the same prestige. Tudor lost there way a little in the 90, 2000’s but have had a resurgence lately with the Black Bay range. Best bang for buck in the £3000 range.

A vintage Tudor submariner is on par with a vintage Rolex sub

They no longer share the same Mercedes hands as Rolex which I probably prefer, but now use the snowflake hands they’re famed for

There is usually a wait time for Tudor but nothing compared to Rolex. The resale value holds pretty well but unlikely to get more than you paid for it the future.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

It's kinda does what it says on the tin - it's big and it's a modern take of the old WW2 airmens watches (the German ones actually). I like it lots
    It just looks like a watch to me.

How is it the price of a nice car more than this?

• Tell me about Tudor watches.

As Stevo has pointed out, they are owned by Rolex and have had a big revamp over the last decade, investing a lot in developing new lines and their own movements.

As he pointed out, Rolex owners call them a poor man's Rolex, which is total BS. I have owned watches from both brands and Tudor are very high quality watches, I cannot see a difference between them and Rolex. Compared to a lot brands, Rolex, Omega, IWC, I would say Tudor are actually underpriced for what you get.

Check out the Black Bay, GMT and Pelagos models, they are the sports type watches and readily available, The only model that's hard to obtain is the new Black Bay Chronograph which you will struggle to find with an authorised dealer.
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

That's a fair point...

As Stevo has pointed out, they are owned by Rolex and have had a big revamp over the last decade, investing a lot in developing new lines and their own movements.

As he pointed out, Rolex owners call them a poor man's Rolex, which is total BS. I have owned watches from both brands and Tudor are very high quality watches, I cannot see a difference between them and Rolex. Compared to a lot brands, Rolex, Omega, IWC, I would say Tudor are actually underpriced for what you get.

Check out the Black Bay, GMT and Pelagos models, they are the sports type watches and readily available, The only model that's hard to obtain is the new Black Bay Chronograph which you will struggle to find with an authorised dealer.
    Well put.

The steel and gold version of the BB Chrono that I posted pics of above (not a new model) is in stock at dealers.
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2022

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

What the market will bear, as usual. Quality and workmanship on this mini mechanical marvel is outstanding. And rarity value - there were only 250 of that particular left handed variant ever made. And there should be no problem getting your money back or a bit of a profit come sale time for the right versions. The watch shaped object you posted will probably end up going in the bin so will cost you more in the end...

But if you're not into watches (as you clearly aren't), it will never make any sense to you.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Do you still have that ladies watch you were wearing last time I saw you?
    Of course, I still have puny wrists so a ladies watch suits me. If I took the MFs medical advice I too would have wrists like Popeye
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

What the market will bear, as usual. Quality and workmanship on this mini mechanical marvel is outstanding. And rarity value - there were only 250 of that particular left handed variant ever made. And there should be no problem getting your money back or a bit of a profit come sale time for the right versions. The watch shaped object you posted will probably end up going in the bin so will cost you more in the end...

But if you're not into watches (as you clearly aren't), it will never make any sense to you.
    No, I'm not.

Seems that they aren't valued as time pieces, but instead more like collectibles. Like the last remaining Panini sticker. Or a particular pair of trainers.

Which I also don't really understand....
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

No, I'm not.

Seems that they aren't valued as time pieces, but instead more like collectibles. Like the last remaining Panini sticker. Or a particular pair of trainers.

Which I also don't really understand....
    That's about right - there people who do collect them, although I'm not in it to make money.

Anyhow, each to their own - whatever gives you a bit of pleasure in life/makes you happy. Plenty of people will never understand why anyone would spend several grand on a bike.