Is it ever ok to wear a fake watch?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

I don't see anything wrong with wearing a nice / expensive watch. Unless you're born into wealth, they often signifiy an important milestone (first bonus, inheritance, mortgage paid off etc.) and it's nice to have a reminder of the moment.

this, to a certain extent, but if you work in an office don't go and buy some ultra expensive diving/flying watch. you'll just look like a numpty.

and don't be precious about it - they are there to be worn and abused.

"So, how did it get scratched?" "Jumping out of a helicopter at night with an attack dog strapped to my leg"

"How did yours get scratched" "oh, I was plugging my laptop into a projector and I slipped"
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    That reminds me of a colleague. His wife had an epidural and he passed out, hitting his head on the legs of some piece of medical equipment as he hit the floor. Lost a big chunk of his scalp and lots of claret.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Wear it in the rain so it stains your wrist green.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Wear both at the same time, one on each arm, set to different (and wrong) times. Argue loudly with yourself in public places that you are late for something.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    MattFalle said:

I don't see anything wrong with wearing a nice / expensive watch. Unless you're born into wealth, they often signifiy an important milestone (first bonus, inheritance, mortgage paid off etc.) and it's nice to have a reminder of the moment.

this, to a certain extent, but if you work in an office don't go and buy some ultra expensive diving/flying watch. you'll just look like a numpty.

and don't be precious about it - they are there to be worn and abused.

"So, how did it get scratched?" "Jumping out of a helicopter at night with an attack dog strapped to my leg"

"How did yours get scratched" "oh, I was plugging my laptop into a projector and I slipped"

Other world views are available.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509

That's probably where Rolex comes in.

Mind you, a fair few people are just 'into' watches and for them it's not really a milestone/status symbol - more about just liking the things and enjoying wearing them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

Oh hai :smiley: Depends what you mean by ultra expensive mind.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

I'd say £10k upwards.

Loads of bods around here have £2/3k Rolexes, paid for on Tour bonus.

Do Tour.
    Get watch.
    Need money? Sell watch.
    Get divorced? Watch gets "lost".
    End up in sticky spot and need to bribe way put? Use watch.

Exactly the same for seasonal staff - save wages, buy watch, use as get out of jail card.

Admittedly I don't get sentimental about things but can see why some do.
  • MattFalle
    Casio calculator watch or the jogging watch. utterly cool.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    As I said back on page 1.
    pblakeney said:

Casio. Keeps perfect time. Job done.
    Anything more expensive is jewellery.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    Stevo_666 said:

That's probably where Rolex comes in.

Mind you, a fair few people are just 'into' watches and for them it's not really a milestone/status symbol - more about just liking the things and enjoying wearing them.
    Yeah I totally get that. I have a few watches myself, none of which are remotely valuable / expensive.

This was my favourite, but even with 20/20 vision I could never read the effing dial and it never sat quite right on my skinny wrists.

https://www.houseofwatches.co.uk/casio-g-shock-classic-octagon-series-black-watch-ga-2100-1a1er
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

I'd say £10k upwards.

Loads of bods around here have £2/3k Rolexes, paid for on Tour bonus.

Actually that's a decent threshold - some people would knock a nought off that. You can count me out then. I have one 'show and tell' watch, most of the rest of them people wouldn't have even heard of.

Mind you, try finding a £2k/£3k Rolex these days...
  • shirley_basso
    Some of the vintage oyster perpetuals and datejusts are about that price, maybe a touch more. It used to be precious metal rolexes were easy to get hold of, but that's all changed in the last 5 years.

Once upon a time I genuinely had a chance to get one, but my head got the better of me. A month later it was sold out everywhere grey market prices went through the roof. Livid.

Nowadays I have dreams of 3 watches:

5 digit Submariner. My dad had one and I had an excellent fake for a while, but it didn't sit well with me, so got rid. Wears a bit smaller than the current and previous version, which works well for my thin wrists.

Yellow gold / brown leather strap / white face Daytona. I saw a cooking show with James Martin who had one on and fell in love. Never seen one in real life and as always, prices have shot up since I first wanted one.

AP Royal Oak Jumbo.

Oh - 5 years ago I put myself on the waiting list for a regular Daytona. 5 more years to go!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    A friend paid nearly £2k on a Tissot a couple of years back. He wore it skiing and had to send it back as the dial face misted up with condensation. A watch that is waterproof to 200m. Oh, and the touch dial controls always play up.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Stevo_666

Some of the vintage oyster perpetuals and datejusts are about that price, maybe a touch more. It used to be precious metal rolexes were easy to get hold of, but that's all changed in the last 5 years.

Once upon a time I genuinely had a chance to get one, but my head got the better of me. A month later it was sold out everywhere grey market prices went through the roof. Livid.

Nowadays I have dreams of 3 watches:

5 digit Submariner. My dad had one and I had an excellent fake for a while, but it didn't sit well with me, so got rid. Wears a bit smaller than the current and previous version, which works well for my thin wrists.

Yellow gold / brown leather strap / white face Daytona. I saw a cooking show with James Martin who had one on and fell in love. Never seen one in real life and as always, prices have shot up since I first wanted one.

AP Royal Oak Jumbo.

Oh - 5 years ago I put myself on the waiting list for a regular Daytona. 5 more years to go!

Assume the Royal Oak is a 'lottery win' buy? As for the Rolexes, forget 'em. Don't get me wrong, they are good watches, but you'll never get one in the foreseeable unless you pay through the nostrils on the grey market and there's so much other good stuff out there which is readily available and more affordable.

That said, there's a Tudor I've got my eye on but you can actually buy those!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    wehrmacht ww2 watch. At 06:10 its saluting and off to war, by 10:10 its hande-hoch, nothing to see here...
  • shirley_basso
    edited March 2022
    Yes the AP is a lottery win.

Both the Rolexes are long out of production so would be grey market anyway, but I'm happy with that.

I loved the skeleton Daytona they made for Montoya. The factories in china knocked up a fake skeleton Submariner which looked quite nice. Tag did a copy, too which was also quite pretty.

I get the love for Tudor but they don't do it for me personally.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    All just seems like a means to broadcast how much disposable income you have.
  • MattFalle

All just seems like a means to broadcast how much disposable income you want people to think you have.

ftfy

• shirley_basso
    Like anything else which is expensive?

House, clothes, car, jewellery, holiday, bike, camera, coffee machine etc etc.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324

As with many other things you can have those that shout "LOOK AT ME I'M RICH AND HAVE NO TASTE" or you can get something good quality and understated that the wearer can enjoy and a few knowing connoisseurs might pick up on.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

As with many other things you can have those that shout "LOOK AT ME I'M RICH AND HAVE NO TASTE" or you can get something good quality and understated that the wearer can enjoy and a few knowing connoisseurs might pick up on.
    I'd go down the Patek Philippe route myself.
    But I won't. Other priorities.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2022

That seems to be quite popular when it comes to Rolexes, which seems to be the one make that seems to be universally recognised as an 'expensive' watch. Pretty sure that's not the case for Shirley here, I can tell he's just an enthusiast. And not for me, as most people wouldn't even recognise what the hell I have hanging off my wrist.
  • MattFalle
    tbh, out of all the expensive watches - and ee're talking £2k upwards - a Rolex is the one i'd be most comfortable wearing to work and doofing up.

i don't know, perhaps its because they are quite common or its just me being happy topiss people off by doing so.
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

tbh, out of all the expensive watches - and ee're talking £2k upwards - a Rolex is the one i'd be most comfortable wearing to work and doofing up.

i don't know, perhaps its because they are quite common or its just me being happy topiss people off by doing so.

Rolexes have been described as 'tool watches' (the steel ones anyway). I guess it's just a case of you interpret that phrase :)
  • MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Rolexes have been described as 'tool watches' (the steel ones anyway). I guess it's just a case of you interpret that phrase :)
    😀😀
  • shirley_basso
    Stevo_666 said:

That seems to be quite popular when it comes to Rolexes, which seems to be the one make that seems to be universally recognised as an 'expensive' watch. Pretty sure that's not the case for Shirley here, I can tell he's just an enthusiast. And not for me, as most people wouldn't even recognise what the hell I have hanging off my wrist.
    Handbags and hookers
  • MattFalle

Stevo_666 said:

Handbags and hookers
    buying a sequin dress for her chicken breast.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

I did know a builder that wore a steel Rolex when he was working, described it as a strong working man's watch. Said he had a good watch for when he was going out. But this was Wimbledon Village in the 80s, he probably fleeced yuppies on a regular basis.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

I did know a builder that wore a steel Rolex when he was working, described it as a strong working man's watch. Said he had a good watch for when he was going out. But this was Wimbledon Village in the 80s, he probably fleeced yuppies on a regular basis.