S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509
    davidof said:

Thanks for the photos. It was a good little race. Some spirited riding and nice scenery and villages. Punch little climbs too.

Sounds like the riders enjoyed it too, from the reports... a well-devised course, I think.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    They've gone a lot further than tennis then who seem to be going for the neutral flag idea.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I didn't see this. I started an new thread about it. Sorry
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,094
    edited March 2022
    World TT champ. Ellen Van censored got an interesting set of prizes for winning the first stage of the Bloeizone Fryslân Tour. Obviously someone took her family name too literally; much like the Bike Radar forum software !!!

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • thejimmymethod
    thejimmymethod Posts: 458
    edited March 2022
    davidof said:

World TT champ. Ellen Van censored got an interesting set of prizes for winning the first stage of the Bloeizone Fryslân Tour. Obviously someone took her family name too literally; much like the Bike Radar forum software !!!

I think we can all take a punt on what the race sponsor "EasyToys" might do
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    Tomorrow also sees one of the oldest, one day races on the calendar, with the 103rd running of Milano - Torino. Or rather, this year, Magenta to Rivoli, over197km of pretty uninspiring terrain. One for the sprinters, no doubt.

Both races posted this evening have live coverage from the usual sources. (this one should be handy for an afternoon siesta)

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

Tomorrow also sees one of the oldest, one day races on the calendar, with the 103rd running of Milano - Torino. Or rather, this year, Magenta to Rivoli, over197km of pretty uninspiring terrain. One for the sprinters, no doubt.

Both races posted this evening have live coverage from the usual sources. (this one should be handy for an afternoon siesta)

Wasn't Milano-Torino always in autumn, just before Lombardia?
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2022
    phreak said:

Wasn't Milano-Torino always in autumn, just before Lombardia?
    It was and in recent years finished with a twice up the Basilica di Superga climb.

One can only assume that in their wisdom, they moved it to midweek and watered it down in order to become a warm up race that would attract Saturday's Milan-San Remo,top stars.
    In reality, it's had the opposite effect, as today's sees the worst start list I can recall.

Top competitors

CAVENDISH Mark
    ULISSI Diego
    SAGAN Peter
    KELDERMAN Wilco
    COSNEFROY Benoît
    COVI Alessandro
    CHAVES Esteban
    KRISTOFF Alexander
    CATTANEO Mattia
    VAN AVERMAET Greg
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    From Wikipedia:

"The position of the race in the European calendar has changed several times. Prior to 1987 the event was always seven days before Milan–San Remo and was seen as an important preparation race for the Spring Classics, however in 1987 Milano–Torino was switched to a date in October just before the Giro di Lombardia because the race organisers were not happy with the inclement weather conditions characterised by early March in northern Italy."
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    edited March 2022
    Any reason most of the big name sprinters are missing?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,094

Cav' has scared them off
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2022
    davidof said:

Cav' has scared them off
    He's just become the first British winner of the race.
    Quite a hard, slightly uphill sprint.
    Bouhanni left fighting his handlebars again.
  • Thought he'd been boxed out of it but Mørkøv guided Cav through those last two turns beautifully
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    So not finished yet?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,384
    Just watched the finish. I think there must have been an echo on the commentary as everything was said twice. Feckin annoying.
    Does that take Cav ahead of Greipel in the all time list?
  • RichN95.

Just watched the finish. I think there must have been an echo on the commentary as everything was said twice. Feckin annoying.

I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing it was Rob Hatch by that description
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Watching the last few Km’s through all those roundabouts I nearly went all Carlton. Must take some serious bottle when you have crashed as many times as Cav has in his career.
  • blazing_saddles
    Meanwhile, today we have a more interesting than usual, Grand Prix de Denain (200kms)

Normally a race that only sprinters would bother to get out of bed for, this year attracts some of favourites for this year's TDF. Those little grey strips on the map being the reason they are turning out for this race.
    Top competitors

ROGLIČ Primož
    VINGEGAARD Jonas
    ACKERMANN Pascal
    MARTÍNEZ Daniel Felipe
    PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien
    WALSCHEID Max
    ALLEGAERT Piet
    WELTEN Bram
    CAPIOT Amaury
    VAN DER HOORN Taco
  • blazing_saddles
    Paris-Roubaix winner Niki Terpstra currently blowing his breakaway mates out the back on a pave sector.
  • RichN95.
    Alaphillipe is just about to run in the 2.10 at Cheltenham
  • blazing_saddles
    2 Jumbo riders involved in a large crash.
    Don’t think it was either of the big guns.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Wanty starting to fade
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Rog's caught a different train, off the front with 3 Ineos and an AGR
  • blazing_saddles
    Roglic looking to go full Stannard on the Ineos youngsters
  • Really enjoying this race
  • mididoctors
    Terpstra dragging it back
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Going to be close
  • blazing_saddles
    Touch and go which group gets this
  • mididoctors
    No lazy peloton