S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    edited February 2022
    andyp said:

Come on Rick, Groenewegen made the mistake of trying to go through a close-able gap. He knows what's going to happen if he does that.

You mean Jakobsen?

I'm happy with the ban if they enforce it for the move, rather than the outcome.

Else all you'll do is continue to have the bad crashes, and then they'll compound the impact of the bad crashes.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,155
    gsk82 said:

RichN95. said:

Maybe 'S**t Small Races' should be renamed 'Evenepoel Races'

The gcn commentary of Algarve was so focused on him it was like watching one of their solo adventure videos. Cringeworthy, boring, repetitive.

My new pet cycling hate is commentators who continually call him 'Remco' rather than his surname. Like Lance and Boris before him, you're the media and he's not your mate.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2022
    RichN95. said:

gsk82 said:

RichN95. said:

The gcn commentary of Algarve was so focused on him it was like watching one of their solo adventure videos. Cringeworthy, boring, repetitive.

My new pet cycling hate is commentators who continually call him 'Remco' rather than his surname. Like Lance and Boris before him, you're the media and he's not your mate.
    I suspect that is in part because they find the surname a mouthful and it can ruin the flow.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621
    I don't mind some results based punishment. For example, if you break someone's leg in football, I'm happy for it to be a red card irrespective of whether the tackle "wasn't that bad".
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,155

RichN95. said:

gsk82 said:

RichN95. said:

I suspect that is in part because they find the surname a mouthful and it can ruin the flow.

If they can manage Groenewegen in the middle of a sprint they can manage Evenepoel. It's not really any different to Van der Poel
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

gsk82 said:

RichN95. said:

If they can manage Groenewegen in the middle of a sprint they can manage Evenepoel. It's not really any different to Van der Poel
    starting with vowels is harder for flow - take it from someone who had speech therapy for a lot of years to get rid of a stutter.

Vs and Rs are easy starts to worlds. Gs aren't easy at all, granted, but words that start with vowels are tricky.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited February 2022

Lad had to pull out of the move else he'd have crashed.

Only difference is Jakobsen didn't pull out of the move.

If we only punish the outcome you'll keep getting bad outcomes.

It struck me just now that we had a very similar incident in Oman last week. In fact it resembled yesterday far more than the infamous incident in Poland.

From about 5 minutes 20 seconds in and it is interesting to note the commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvVlJ_ppOOM

Finally Rick, this is what you had to say about that Oman finish:

Seen this a few times, albeit only from the head-on shot, but I can't see any reason for DQ.
    Where was he supposed to go? Cav chose the wrong side.

Ho hum.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Forgetting the sprint, what about this??

https://mobile.twitter.com/renaudb31/status/1495399475250147334
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2022

It struck me just now that we had a very similar incident in Oman last week. In fact it resembled yesterday far more than the infamous incident in Poland.

From about 5 minutes 20 seconds in and it is interesting to note the commentary.

Seen this a few times, albeit only from the head-on shot, but I can't see any reason for DQ.

Ho hum.
    TBH I gave it a cursory glance from the head on - if he deviates from the middle to the side to cut off contenders from that side then yeah, definitely DQ.

I saw it as a lead off person slowing down and he had to go somewhere, but maybe I miss-saw?

I am fairly consistent on this. It's you lot who are not inconsistent, as it's about the end result and not about the move.

Either punish the move every time it's done or don't ever punish the move. Don't only punish the move when there's a big accident, as that does nothing to prevent the accident.

If anything, the lack of prosecution *encourages* the move - after all, the move Groenewegen did vs Jakobsen was a move he'd done dozens of times beforehand.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Well todays stage made it look they were all on rails yesterday. That old gadger Cav did all right though.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,926
    But, but, but, he's finished.......
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    edited February 2022

Ho hum.
    TBH I gave it a cursory glance from the head on - if he deviates from the middle to the side to cut off contenders from that side then yeah, definitely DQ.

I saw it as a lead off person slowing down and he had to go somewhere, but maybe I miss-saw?

I am fairly consistent on this. It's you lot who are not inconsistent, as it's about the end result and not about the move.

Either punish the move every time it's done or don't ever punish the move. Don't only punish the move when there's a big accident, as that does nothing to prevent the accident.

If anything, the lack of prosecution *encourages* the move - after all, the move Groenewegen did vs Jakobsen was a move he'd done dozens of times beforehand.
    You need to go back and watch the Groenewegen v Jakobsen move again.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551

Ho hum.

No point, he couldn't see what was wrong the first time around.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 464

He should retire, clearly not good enough...........
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    webboo said:

Well todays stage made it look they were all on rails yesterday. That old gadger Cav did all right though.

Had to go early too. Sustained effort in the open looking impressive.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Ho hum.

No point, he couldn't see what was wrong the first time around.
    Only in the sense Groenewegen had been doing that move for 3 years before he was punished for it.

• blazing_saddles
    edited February 2022

He won his 4 tour stages cheaply last year, because Sam Bennett, Groenewegen etc weren’t there.
    Pretty much everyone bar Ewan is in the UAE, but it’s February, so it doesn’t count.

So he’s still finished.

Oh and Philipsen not DQ’d again after blocking Ackerman’s run….
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

Pretty much everyone bar Ewan is in the UAE

You forgot Jakobsen!
  • bigmat said:

Pretty much everyone bar Ewan is in the UAE

You forgot Jakobsen!
    I wouldn't want to encourage any in fighting in February.
    Best left until June and July.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    And... there's me caught up on my first 2022 dose of wittermouth Kirby. Man how I've missed him.

some or all or none of the above may be untrue
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,926
    Watching now and they hit a really exposed windy stretch and looked to slow to about 10 mph!
  • orraloon said:

And... there's me caught up on my first 2022 dose of wittermouth Kirby. Man how I've missed him.

I'd forgotten about him. Then there he is.
  • rick_chasey

orraloon said:

I'd forgotten about him. Then there he is.
    He was busy ruining the long track speed skating 😤
  • Ganna about to go in the very short TT.
  • You have to admire the ambition of the organisers putting crowd barriers out.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005

Watching now and they hit a really exposed windy stretch and looked to slow to about 10 mph!

That’s what I thought, but strangely velon have him as averaging 40mph over the last 9 seconds
  • Kudus' Eritrea champion skinsuit combined with EF pink socks is a look.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited February 2022
    Some ridiculously strong line ups turning out for the hilly Ardenne-Drome double header over the weekend.
    I love these pair having watched them for years on L’Equipe.

This time up out we get to see Alaphilippe, Bagioli and Vansevenant take on The Jumbo combo of Roglic, Vingegaard, Kuss, Gesink, Kruijswijk and Foss , along with several other strong WT teams.
    Plus the French teams are turning up with just about everybody who’s anybody, all on GCN/ Eurosport player.

All adds to a veritable feast of cycling on Europe’s “big season”opening weekend.
  • Faun-Ardèche Classic

Top competitors

ROGLIČ Primož
    ALAPHILIPPE Julian
    VINGEGAARD Jonas
    MARTIN Guillaume
    ULISSI Diego
    KELDERMAN Wilco
    MCNULTY Brandon
    PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien
    KUSS Sepp
    BARGUIL Warren

Drome Classic

Top competitors

ROGLIČ Primož
    ALAPHILIPPE Julian
    VINGEGAARD Jonas
    MARTIN Guillaume
    ULISSI Diego
    KELDERMAN Wilco
    COSNEFROY Benoît
    MCNULTY Brandon
    PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien
    KUSS Sepp

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    just watched UAE on catch-up. Kirby making a complete eejit of himself (for a change) inventing a conspiracy when none exists. Has he never heard of bonus seconds?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet