S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• UAE rider sprints, then blocks Cav’s run up the barrier. Cav clearly furious.
    Meanwhile, UAE takes the stage with Gaviria…..
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,934
    Have UAE got away with it?
    After yesterday's relegation of Cav from the green jersey for hanging on to the doctor's car for too long, I guess they have / will.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

After yesterday's relegation of Cav from the green jersey for hanging on to the doctor's car for too long, I guess they have / will.

Richeze got a DQ for it.. Gaviria keeps the stage
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Always feels like a bit of a loophole like when Cav got a few wins with some dubious tactics from Renshaw.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Seemed to be a lot of knocking and blocking at Almeria on Sunday.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    RichN95. said:

Richeze got a DQ for it.. Gaviria keeps the stage
    Very Harsh DQ. Certainly not deliberate. Barely perceptible move to the right avoiding Groves’s elbow and following a right hand bend.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I don't think richeze did much wrong either.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Seen this a few times, albeit only from the head-on shot, but I can't see any reason for DQ.

Where was he supposed to go? Cav chose the wrong side.
  • Big name Covid casualties in Spain.
    Valverde, Nibali and Fuglsang either close contact or positive
  • The dream team of Dan Lloyd and Adam Blythe commentating on the Volta Algarve
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    edited February 2022
    A huge crash in Algarve which doesn’t appear to have involved Geraint Thomas.

Molano of UAE seems most badly affected.

Also there appears to be a threat of echelons
  • What's the latest "deceuninck" count?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    edited February 2022
    Looks like could be an interesting last few km
  • Another big crash
  • kingstongraham
    edited February 2022
    Front group is small, but nobody's coming back to it now.
  • No more than 35 riders there
  • Hayter aiming for the Haimar Zubeldia award.
    Was about to say he was definitely AWOL and he turns up, sitting right on the back
  • That's an impressive turn from remco
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    edited February 2022
    Kristoff with a pale imitation of a Cav tantrum. Same barrier block but Jacobsen was long gone.
  • That's an impressive turn from remco

Was crazy - Thomas came to the front, and was giving it his all, but then they unleashed remco and he rode away from everyone. Nobody could get close to jakobsen at the end.
  • I couldn't understand why a quickstep rider was dragging the rest of the peloton back on the final straight. Was Remco again, not wanting to lose time.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Gaviria got Covid yet again...
  • kingstongraham
    edited February 2022
    Yesterday's Andalucia didn't go according to script - a few lesser names stayed away and attacked each other too early on a finishing climb they all seemed to underestimate.

Sharp climb to finish today as well.
  • Covi imperious again.
    Went early and left the rest grovelling behind. Unbelievable early season form.
    Lopez runner up like last year.
  • Bunch sprint up the Alto de Foia ends in Foss and Higuita taking each other down, allowing David Gaudu to nip past for the win.
    Evenepoel also blocked on the barriers.
    With the likes of Kung and Connor Swift still in the group with 500 metes left, it kind of sums the inactivity up.
  • Weird one that.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

Weird one that.

I know there was the crash, but it still looked like no one else really went for it. Even Gaudu just seemed to get a gap from nowhere
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    It’s about this time of year when, after weeks of nothing but cyclo cross-muckery and whatnot, who’s got a hurty knee, who’s a bit fat, etc… I get excited about all the big guns duking it out in La Ruta Del Algarve Provence Sol Andalucia Oman Qatar Eddie Soens… and amidst the confusion of which race is which, it’s always - ALWAYS - inconclusive about anything other than who’s knees don’t hurt and who isn’t fat (in February)… it’s a rush of activity and info that’s a bit hard to digest at first…
    But this quote in CN ‘Cavendish capturing her first win of the season on stage 2 of the Tour of Oman…’ caught me right off guard. Fortunately, I suspect that this was just the usual CN error - one which they’re now asking you pay for - but did get me wondering what Cav’s transition name would be. Don’t worry about about Wiggins’s already got hers: Susan.
  • Elisa Balsamo won Stage 1 of the Setmana Ciclista Volta Comunitat Valenciana Femines in a reduced sprint. AvV, Cavalli and Garcia got away on the final climb but mucked about and were brought back. Balsamo wins first race in 🌈
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    davieb78 said:

Elisa Balsamo won Stage 1 of the Setmana Ciclista Volta Comunitat Valenciana Femines in a reduced sprint. AvV, Cavalli and Garcia got away on the final climb but mucked about and were brought back. Balsamo wins first race in 🌈

She won a stage of the Women's Tour last year, just after the Worlds.