S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

How much money is in the broadcast revenues?

For a lot of smaller events I believe this is a negative amount.
    Totally believable
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445

Broadcast revenues go to the race organisers, not the teams, which is a massive part of the problem.
    That's kinda my point ☝️ can't the sport get some of that?
    Everyone seems to think that ASO make huge amounts of profit on Tour TV revenues, but a) it's a surprisingly smaller revenue stream than you'd think and b) a lot of it is used to bankroll other key ASO races, i.e. Paris-Nice and the Dauphine.

This is a decent article on the revenue streams:

https://thehustle.co/the-economics-of-the-tour-de-france/
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

Broadcast revenues go to the race organisers, not the teams, which is a massive part of the problem.
    Everyone seems to think that ASO make huge amounts of profit on Tour TV revenues, but a) it's a surprisingly smaller revenue stream than you'd think and b) a lot of it is used to bankroll other key ASO races, i.e. Paris-Nice and the Dauphine.

Buisness is not my forte but it does not surprise me either

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

That's a really good one stop overview thanks Andy

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    edited September 2022

It's pretty expensive to run a race though. Doubly so to put it up on TV.

Look at Tour De Yorkshire.

That was a great race, decent riders, fantastic crowds, great scenery. Not sustainable.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,186
    Italian Autumn classics are in full swing leading up to Il Lomardia next Saturday.

On Thursday Sjoerd Bax won the Coppa Agostoni, sprinting from a group containing Valverde, Pozzovivo, and Nibali: three riders who appeared to have become detached from the masters race and found themselves at the front of the open category.

Today is the Giro dell'Emilia (198.7km), which features a couple of Appenine lumps between Carpi and Bologna, before finishing with 5 ascents of the climb to San Luca (2km @ 9.8%).

There's a star-studded list of Lombardia hopefuls on the start list: Pogacar, Vlasov, Valverde, Martinez, Yates x2, Martin, Gaudu, Teuns, Mas, Rodriguez, Ulissi, Woods, Hirschi, Superman Lopez, and Alaphilippe.

I can't find any information about TV coverage though. Any ideas?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    When Jan lit up the race

https://youtu.be/Ih0kTJGnG3s
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Cro race only on Eurosport.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    19 year old Oscar Onley has really impressed at the CRO Race. Only bonus seconds between him and Vingegaard. I wonder if he's done enough to accelerate his move to the World Tour?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    Zagreb finishing circuit in Cro race was horrible - bollards, cobbles, tram lines, narrow chicanes, parked cars, ...
    surprised there was only one apparently minor crash.

Viviani wins stage and Mohoric comes home in second for the overall.

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Vingegaard denied the second biggest win of his career
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • red.rider said:

Italian Autumn classics are in full swing leading up to Il Lomardia next Saturday.

On Thursday Sjoerd Bax won the Coppa Agostoni, sprinting from a group containing Valverde, Pozzovivo, and Nibali: three riders who appeared to have become detached from the masters race and found themselves at the front of the open category.

Today is the Giro dell'Emilia (198.7km), which features a couple of Appenine lumps between Carpi and Bologna, before finishing with 5 ascents of the climb to San Luca (2km @ 9.8%).

There's a star-studded list of Lombardia hopefuls on the start list: Pogacar, Vlasov, Valverde, Martinez, Yates x2, Martin, Gaudu, Teuns, Mas, Rodriguez, Ulissi, Woods, Hirschi, Superman Lopez, and Alaphilippe.

Anyone see this? Not seen it myself. Mas dropped pog when both had gone away from the remaining peloton.

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    In the current UCI World rankings Arnaud De Lie is in sixth place despite only riding five days in the World Tour all season. He truly is the King of S*** Small Races.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

red.rider said:

Anyone see this? Not seen it myself. Mas dropped pog when both had gone away from the remaining peloton.

I think RAI had the rights and made it practically impossible for anyone to see the race.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Highlights here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cqdD0kB3RY

Didn't think I'd see Mas riding Pogacar off his wheel tbh (or anyone for that matter)
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    edited October 2022
    Even the captions guy couldn't believe it was Maas at first and called him as Valverde.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    RichN95. said:

In the current UCI World rankings Arnaud De Lie is in sixth place despite only riding five days in the World Tour all season. He truly is the King of S*** Small Races.

Managed to come in 15th in the Ardenne yesterday, despite an off and cx remount in the last km of a bunch sprint.
  • Strong win by Christophe Laporte in Binche-Chimay-Binche today. Went away with Tiller from a strong break, and then rode him off his wheel in the last km.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

Strong win by Christophe Laporte in Binche-Chimay-Binche today. Went away with Tiller from a strong break, and then rode him off his wheel in the last km.

Another unbelievable ride from the most suspicious rider in the peloton?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • m.r.m.
    Or a rider with real talent who got better with more professional training and a reason to actually compete instead of just collecting a cheque.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    Rider goes to the best team in the world and improves shocker!
  • He attacked and the rest of the break didn't get organised to chase him down. He was lucky that Tiller managed to stay with him and do plenty of work knowing that would only get him second place.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,624
    Not the right place for this but would anyone happened to know if the UCI world gravel championship is available to watch anywhere?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    seanoconn said:

Not the right place for this but would anyone happened to know if the UCI world gravel championship is available to watch anywhere?

Womens Saturday, mens Sunday being shown on Eurosport iplayer schedule.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    seanoconn said:

Seeing as it's a World Championship, I don't think it belongs in this thread.......and there are quite a number of world champions riding in it.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,624
    andyrac said:

seanoconn said:

Seeing as it's a World Championship, I don't think it belongs in this thread.......and there are quite a number of world champions riding in it.
    That’s why I said “not the right place.”

The question wasn’t worthy of its own thread.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • andyrac
    Yeah, I misread.....

Organizers aren't providing live coverage for the women's race - which is unforgiveable. And traditional gravel races have equal distances between men & women......but not when the UCI run it.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac said:

Yeah, I misread.....

Organizers aren't providing live coverage for the women's race - which is unforgiveable. And traditional gravel races have equal distances between men & women......but not when the UCI run it.

Dan Lloyd has tweeted they have the last 90 minutes live, same as the men's.
  • andyrac
    That's good to hear; as per the GCN Show yesterday, it just looked like it would be just highlights during the men's live coverage.
  • m.r.m.
    Really strong performance by Trentin in the Giro del Veneto today.