S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,785
    Good tactics by jumbo how that worked out
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Mas crashes out under pressure
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Martinez must have been hampered by the crash.
  • mididoctors
    mrb123 said:

Martinez must have been hampered by the crash.

Or lost his bottle ...Bilbao was going extra mad downhill
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,690
    Classic Eurosport.
    Have all the pointless interviews when the action is at it’s hottest.
    Way to miss the crash and potentially the winning move.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Bilbao is excellent downhill here ..he also knows the potholes by name I suspect.... Don't crash please
  • mrb123
    Come back from ad break and it's all changed. FFS
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,156
    Been a cracking race, this
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,377
    Remco goes pop
  • blazing_saddles
    Vingegaard is going to win this.
  • blazing_saddles
    Bilbao blowing
  • blazing_saddles

Vingegaard is going to win this.

Good call. :#
  • Mad_Malx
    edited April 2022
    Remco popped

Edit: just realized I'm couple of min behind
  • blazing_saddles
    Vingegaard needs to come with a health warning.
  • mrb123
    Great way to finish a fantastic race. Been stuck at home with Covid all week and this has been some welcome entertainment. Every stage was worth watching.
  • blazing_saddles
    Heavyweight from Brother Ion.
    Got up off the tarmac to KO them in the sprint.
  • Mad_Malx
    Really enjoyed that. Very happy for Izagirre after the off.
  • mididoctors
    Entertaining
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,179
    Good race has been the Itzulia Basque, cracking stage today. He says after catching up, again. So Remco hasn't got the engine for the steep hills?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,439
    orraloon said:

Good race has been the Itzulia Basque, cracking stage today. He says after catching up, again. So Remco hasn't got the engine for the steep hills?

I'm not sure going all in on the final intermediate sprint, just before they started the final ascent, was his smartest tactical decision. He got dropped very quickly once they started climbing, but held the time gap for steady for most of the climb once a gap of 25-30 seconds had been established. My suspicion is that he went a bit too deep sprinting for the bonus seconds, and hadn't recovered when the pace lifted.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,179
    BBC reporting Milan Vader in induced coma, not good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/61053924

Re Remco, and andyp's comment, indeed could have been the case today. But has he got the body type / physique / gene pool to cope with big mountain stages and high altitude?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,567
    Evenepoel races like he was doing a chipper. I only saw bits of the race throughout the week and saw him attacking on flat/ lower gradient slopes a couple of times. Massive waste of energy when you're racing in high level races.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,712
    gsk82 said:

Evenepoel races like he was doing a chipper. I only saw bits of the race throughout the week and saw him attacking on flat/ lower gradient slopes a couple of times. Massive waste of energy when you're racing in high level races.

That's how he got the leaders jersey though.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,712
    Great race all week that, and a brilliant final stage.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,451
    Doesn't Remco tend to always have issues on really steep mountains?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2022
    No sooner than one finishes, another starts. Today it's time for the President to kick off Turkey.

Top competitors

PHILIPSEN Jasper
    QUINTANA Nairo
    VAN POPPEL Danny
    BOUHANNI Nacer
    EWAN Caleb
    BENNETT Sam
    DAINESE Alberto
    MCLAY Daniel
    GROVES Kaden
    SEPÚLVEDA Eduardo
    VINE Jay
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,228
    orraloon said:

Remco most certainly does have the engine. It's a power to weight issue. 2kg lighter and he'd have won that comfortably. 7kg lighter and he'll be challenging Pogacar.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,358
    DeadCalm said:

orraloon said:

Remco most certainly does have the engine. It's a power to weight issue. 2kg lighter and he'd have won that comfortably. 7kg lighter and he'll be challenging Pogacar.
    Where's he going to lose 7 kg without a significant losss of power?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,228

DeadCalm said:

orraloon said:

Where's he going to lose 7 kg without a significant loss of power?
    No idea. Ineos (Sky) seemed to be able to do it at will a few years ago. Maybe he should seek their advice?

Seriously though. looking at him in photos, he does seem as though he could lose some weight without compromising much (if any) power. For a pro cyclist, he definitely looks slightly chunky to me. In any event, I stand by my initial assertion that it's not his engine that is the issue.