S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,569

Carapaz wins the stage and Higuita in to the the lead after a 130km raid together.

UAE a but rudderless sans Pog

Wunderkid Ayosa needs to learn to work for others.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    Eddie Dunbar takes his first professional with the overall in Coppi e Bartali.
    Worth remembering that last year's winner went on to be the only person in human history to drop Tadej Pogacar: one Jonas Vingegaard.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Eddie Dunbar takes his first professional with the overall in Coppi e Bartali.
    Worth remembering that last year's winner went on to be the only person in human history to drop Tadej Pogacar: one Jonas Vingegaard.

After last week, shouldn't that be "drop (on a climb)"?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited March 2022
    At Coppi e Bartali today Omer Goldstein won a prize (probably combativity) and won a 12kg ham. I assume as an Israeli he's Jewish and probably has no use for ham.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,130
    RichN95. said:

At Coppi e Bartali today Omer Goldstein won a prize (probably combativity) and won a 12kg ham. I assume as an Israeli he's Jewish and probably has no use for ham.

There was a race that Cav won (I think) where the prize was a load of bananas. Can you imagine the publicity if a black rider had won that? I still find it odd that a professional sport is handing out prizes like this as if it is still the early 20th century.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,378
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

There was a race that Cav won (I think) where the prize was a load of bananas. Can you imagine the publicity if a black rider had won that? I still find it odd that a professional sport is handing out prizes like this as if it is still the early 20th century.
    So what should those sponsors be giving pout as a prize? An Amazon voucher? An Asos voucher?
    Hardly going to benefit their business is it?
  • Daniel Oss won a fuel card on Friday for the combativity. As Dan Lloyd pointed out, this is worth a lot more nowadays
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

It easily trumps Ellen van Dijk's EasyToys gift set.
    At least she has the option to use their "adult-themed hamper". ( although I doubt that UCI would approve her socks)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,130

Pross said:

RichN95. said:

So what should those sponsors be giving pout as a prize? An Amazon voucher? An Asos voucher?
    Hardly going to benefit their business is it?
    Cash (or nothing)?
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Oh I love all those odd quirky prizes and strange podium ceremonies. The distinctly poor looking standard plants at either side of the Catalunya stage have been a highlight this week. Would the leaning one be on the left or the right?
    Imagine W V A s lovely bathroom upgrade he won this week at E 3😊
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,569

Daniel Oss won a fuel card on Friday for the combativity. As Dan Lloyd pointed out, this is worth a lot more nowadays

That depends if it's for a quantity or value of fuel. If it's a value, it's worth a lot less fuel.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2022
    Here's what we get from GCN/Eurosport as aperitifs for Sunday and the big one.

31st Gran Premio Miguel Indurain (yes it's been going 31 years)

Top competitors

ALMEIDA João
    MAS Enric
    BILBAO Pello
    VLASOV Aleksandr
    HIGUITA Sergio
    IZAGIRRE Ion
    HIRSCHI Marc
    BARGUIL Warren
    PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien
    LATOUR Pierre

Live coverage is from 2-30pm to 4-30pm. On both apps and tv.

Also a personal favourite of mine. There will be a lot more live coverage available besides the UK schedule.

47th Volta Limburg Classic

Top competitors

BONNAMOUR Franck
    DUMOULIN Tom (how the mighty have fallen)
    DE BONDT Dries
    DE LIE Arnaud
    EENKHOORN Pascal
    KRON Andreas
    OLDANI Stefano
    FIORELLI Filippo
    GILBERT Philippe (hard to believe)
    PLANCKAERT Baptiste

Live coverage is also from 2-30pm on GCN/Eurosport player.

• gsk82 said:

Daniel Oss won a fuel card on Friday for the combativity. As Dan Lloyd pointed out, this is worth a lot more nowadays

That depends if it's for a quantity or value of fuel. If it's a value, it's worth a lot less fuel.
    Once again, facts get in the way of a nicely phrased joke

Isn't the Internet wonderful?
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2022
    L1 Limburg have been live for the last 45 minutes and can be watched here:

http://livetvland.com/tv/limburg-l1

It is currently snowing heavily on the course.
  • blazing_saddles
    Snow in Spain has meant that all the climbs have been removed from Big Mig’s bash.
    Of course by the time they go racing, the snow has all disappeared.
  • Wawa Barguil wins in Migs race

A tribute from the Whimsical Flaneur to the Cycling Podcast
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

Snow in Spain has meant that all the climbs have been removed from Big Mig’s bash.
    Of course by the time they go racing, the snow has all disappeared.

Got family not far off the area, and they mentioned a surprising amount of snow there the last couple of days.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2022
    The 61st Itzulia Basque Country starts today with an ITT of 8kms.

I hope the weather plays ball as it looks to be a spectacular course.

Jumbo sending Roglic, Vingegaard and Kuss.
    Quick Step have Alaphilippe and Evenepoel.
    Ineos stick with the trio of Yates, Martinez and Rodriguez.
    Gaudu, Bilbao, Majka, Ulissi, Latour etc etc
  • blazing_saddles
    The course is stunning.
    Ineos currently have 3 of the top 4 spots. Geraint Thomas leads from Yates, Izagirre and Ben Tullet.
    Jumbo and QS’s big guns yet to appear.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Thanks for the heads up. Watching Vingegaard on a death-defying run
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Remco 11 secs faster than anyone else so far only Rog would really touch that
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    Roglification.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    1st to 3rd 16sec difference, 3rd to 20th 14 sec difference
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,747
    That course packed a lot into ten minutes. Very nice.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,083
    bm5 said:

Oh I love all those odd quirky prizes and strange podium ceremonies. The distinctly poor looking standard plants at either side of the Catalunya stage have been a highlight this week. Would the leaning one be on the left or the right?
    Imagine W V A s lovely bathroom upgrade he won this week at E 3😊

I don't know what they are complaining about really, I mean, for some CX races, you get a giant yellow duck.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Certainly an interesting course. Roglic was very chirpy after he crossed the line.
  • Roglic is unbeaten in time trials in Spain, going back 5 years and 8 time trials
  • blazing_saddles
    Here is today's course, with the hardest climb of the day coming as soon as the flag drops.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,866
    edited April 2022

The 61st Itzulia Basque Country starts today with an ITT of 8kms.

I hope the weather plays ball as it looks to be a spectacular course.

Jumbo sending Roglic, Vingegaard and Kuss.
    Quick Step have Alaphilippe and Evenepoel.
    Ineos stick with the trio of Yates, Martinez and Rodriguez.
    Gaudu, Bilbao, Majka, Ulissi, Latour etc etc

Missed this completely, thankyou - watched the long highlights this morning with a coffee, slightly oddly the stephens/roche commentary ceased not long after Remco left the ramp.

Pretty decent field, looks like it could be a pretty good stage race.

I think Roche might take a bit of time to warm up to his co-commentator role, if that is in fact what he is destined to do - previously he has been a studio pundit I think?
    Blythe seemed to fall into the role very naturally I thought, but hopefully Roche will get better as time goes on.
    *He's already better than ck
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,747
    Good racing today. Caja Rural absolutely mental tactics trying to chase down their own rider who was over a minute ahead with 8km to go.