Cars, cars, cars...

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    De Loreans have stainless steel bodies, when dented they were extremely hard to repair and often had to be painted to cover the repair. Genius 🙄
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,741
    Read somewhere that the Cybertruck is so heavy that it's not covered by the normal UK driving licence and you need a cat C license.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,682
    Stevo_666 said:

Read somewhere that the Cybertruck is so heavy that it's not covered by the normal UK driving licence and you need a cat C license.

Sounds about right. Weren't Bentley having that issue and lobbying for an increase in the highest kerb weight allowed under a normal license?
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Sounds about right. Weren't Bentley having that issue and lobbying for an increase in the highest kerb weight allowed under a normal license?
    The Cat B limit is 3,500kg: a quick google shows that the heaviest car to date in the UK is just over 2,800kg. But I can believe that Bentley might have done that.

Edit: the Cybertrufk is 3.1 tonnes in its heavier form so not quite over the limit. But still a right porker.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited December 2023
    Driving a car is just a hassle. No matter how well your chosen weapon performs, you are ultimately restricted by the traffic jam in front of you.
    The only cars that have given me pure unadulterated pleasure are the red and yellow Scalextric Minis that I hammered to oblivion in my youth.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,463

Driving a car is just a hassle. No matter how well your chosen weapon performs, you are ultimately restricted by the traffic jam in front of you.
    The only cars that have given me pure unadulterated pleasure are the red and yellow Scalextric Minis that I hammered to oblivion in my youth.

That all depends on where you live.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666

Depends where you are/drive. Traffic jams are far from everywhere, as I'm sure you know. Or there is always the option of track days - great fun :)
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited December 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Depends where you are/drive. Traffic jams are far from everywhere, as I'm sure you know. Or there is always the option of track days - great fun :)
    Never done a track day but I'm a pretty handy Go- cart driver and have some plastic trophies to prove it.
    I love riding my bike, traffic jams or the middle of nowhere, beats driving a car every time.
  • veronese68
    Scalextric, I had those Minis,does this prove electric cars are fun?
    Regarding weight limits on licenses, isn’t that for a loaded weight? So is the 3.1 tonnes empty? If so by the time you’ve added driver passenger and all those bags of sand they’ll be carrying it would be over the limit.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Never done a track day but I'm a pretty handy Go- cart driver and have some plastic trophies to prove it.
    I love riding my bike, traffic jams or the middle of nowhere, beats driving a car every time.
    If you like go-karting then give a track day a go, you should enjoy it. The cost can be a slight problem though...
  • Stevo_666

Regarding weight limits on licenses, isn’t that for a loaded weight? So is the 3.1 tonnes empty? If so by the time you’ve added driver passenger and all those bags of sand they’ll be carrying it would be over the limit.

Far as I can see, the 3.1 tonnes is the empty weight :o
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

Far as I can see, the 3.1 tonnes is the empty weight :o
    Good job it doesn't need a tank full of juice to add to the weight then 😂

• Ahhhh, yes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,902
    Somebody needs to show Elon how to use the curve tool.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,093
    pblakeney said:

Somebody needs to show Elon how to use the curve tool.

I'm trying to come up with some specious analogy about a female Kryten (Camille) and her curves, and that led me on to thinking whether the attraction of 'alpha males' (such as Musk) to their cars is proxy for sexual attraction, and if so, what is the gender the subjects of their automobile lust.

Sorry, it's Sunday night after a stupidly busy Saturday, I've had some fresh air and a beer, and my mind is doing weird things.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,738

Ahhhh, yes.

Aye right. The Muskrat and fanbois can rightly dismiss all of the past decades R&D on aerodynamics, coz he is jeenyus, innit.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

If you like go-karting then give a track day a go, you should enjoy it. The cost can be a slight problem though...
    A good friend was a driving instructor at the Oulton Park rally school and had a class winning Honda Civic rally car. He took me on a late night thrash through Clocaenog forest, scared the life out of me and thrilled me in equal measure.
    That experience showed me that I will never be able to drive a fast car how it should really be driven.
    I humbly admit that go-carts and Scalextric cars are about my limit.
  • pblakeney
    I had a rally instructor try to scare me on an off-road track once.
    He spun off. I laughed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,897
    Musk is just this:

• Yes, but but but...

The innovations!

The Cybertruck, 48v system, ethernet, fast bus, stainless steel ding resistance.

Stainless steel is difficult to work with especially mass production so it explains the angular DeLoreanness. Stainless steel is required for the production of Starship/s so it makes sense to power bulk buy/manufacturer to reduce costs. If they can start to shape it a bit more in the future it's a humdinger.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    edited December 2023
    Oh, flyby/driveby wire proportional steering, pushing towards that automous taxi vehicle use strategy.
  • If nothing else Tesla puts other manufacturers on their toes.
  • The model 2? Will be very interesting to see in terms manufacturing process by the sound of it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,897

Yes, but but but...

The innovations!

The Cybertruck, 48v system, ethernet, fast bus, stainless steel ding resistance.

Stainless steel is difficult to work with especially mass production so it explains the angular DeLoreanness. Stainless steel is required for the production of Starship/s so it makes sense to power bulk buy/manufacturer to reduce costs. If they can start to shape it a bit more in the future it's a humdinger.

How about just not making it out of stainless steel. They could make it out of bamboo too but I foresee problems.
  • First.Aspect
    Stainless steel is pretty much the worst material to be moving to for body panels, because it's expensive, difficult to work with, almost impossible to repair and heavy.
  • pblakeney

Stainless steel is pretty much the worst material to be moving to for body panels, because it's expensive, difficult to work with, almost impossible to repair and heavy.

Maybe, just maybe, that's the reasons nobody else uses stainless steel.
    The genius that is Musk just says "Make it so.".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,093

On the plus side, it can be recycled into stylish cutlery when Musk has worked that out for himself.
  • First.Aspect

On the plus side, it can be recycled into stylish cutlery when Musk has worked that out for himself.
    They might be able to make some of it into parts for automotive chassis. That's not a terrible idea because it's strong and doesn't rust.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,578
    A thick stainless steel exoskeleton body. A pedestrian would have little chance of surviving a hit.

It looks like the design of the front has taken cues from a mortuary table. Very handy when hosing off the blood.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

A good friend was a driving instructor at the Oulton Park rally school and had a class winning Honda Civic rally car. He took me on a late night thrash through Clocaenog forest, scared the life out of me and thrilled me in equal measure.
    That experience showed me that I will never be able to drive a fast car how it should really be driven.
    I humbly admit that go-carts and Scalextric cars are about my limit.
    Doesn't matter for track days, as long as you're a half decent driver and have some moderate sized cojones. Worth a try at least once. IMHO.