Cars, cars, cars...

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,858
    Although the 2024 model AMG GT looks like a good 'un as well (albeit less track focused that the 911 GT3's)

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,978
    One can only hope the Mazda Iconic SP makes it from prototype to production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmLBMP9iBvQ&t=416s
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

• I mean, given a lot of time could it be classic design?
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2023
    Only if poked in both eyes with a sharp stick first. My hands would be able to detect the ugliness even then. Delorean was better 40 years ago, and they were fugly.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

Only if poked in both eyes with a sharp stick first. My hands would be able to detect the ugliness even then. Delorean was better 40 years ago, and they were fugly.

Oh, I guess that's a no then.
  • I was thinking in a zombie apocalypse type scenario it might start to look more appealing. A kind of Mad Max vibe.
  • The zombies would have to be particularly nasty mind.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,209
    I think the wheel arches would look better (or less shït) if the car had hexagonal wheels. And the car would look less comical if the driver was Kryten from Red Dwarf.
  • Actually, that's a good call that. It's definitely Kryten's Cybertruck.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,800
    It is a Johnny cab.
  • Stevo_666

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,615
    Good job petrol isn't flammable :D
  • pblakeney
    I can confirm that Lego is flammable and would make for a very realistic model. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    That's for age 8-12 Stevo.

You going to need help?
  • Stevo_666

That's for age 8-12 Stevo.

You going to need help?

Didn't have you down as an EV fan.
  • Stevo_666
    monkimark said:

Figure you haven't realised that EV are getting a bit of a rep for going up in flames. Or are you an EV owner? :)
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Figure you haven't realised that EV are getting a bit of a rep for going up in flames. Or are you an EV owner? :)
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/electriccars/article-12626821/Are-electric-hybrid-cars-greater-fire-risk.html

Are EVs more likely to catch fire than petrol and diesel?
    EV FireSafe, a private company that receives seed funding from the Australian Department of Defence to research EV battery fires, says global fires recorded between 2010 and 2020 indicate a 0.0012 per cent change of passenger EVs catching alight.

But how does that compare to conventional petrol and diesels?

The research group said it is 'difficult to find a similar statistic for internal combustion engine (ICE) passenger vehicles globally', though says a combination of country-based reports suggest there is a 0.1 per cent chance of petrol and diesel cars catching fire.

And in May, the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) suggested that EVs are 20 times less likely to catch fire than petrol and diesel cars based on instances recorded in the country last year alone.

It said there were 106 fires in various 'electric means of transport' in Sweden in 2022, though 38 of these were electric scooters and 20 e-bicycles.

Only 23 fires were reported in EVs last year, accounting for just 0.004 per cent of Sweden's fleet of 611,000 EVs. In contrast, over the same period, some 3,400 fires we reported in 2022 from Sweden's 4.4million petrol and diesel cars, a share of 0.08 per cent.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,615
    I have seen a few petrol cars on fire in my time as well as a petrol station on fire on the way back to Calais in the summer (inconvenient as I was planning to fill up there)

No idea if EVs are more likely to spontaneously combust but there are quite a few petrol heads who seem delighted by the idea for some reason.

Wasn't there a load of hand wringing about the EV that burned down that airport car park before it turned out to be a diesel?
    Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,531
    We will only know the true figures when there is an equal number of EV and ICE propelled vehicles.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

We will only know the true figures when there is an equal number of EV and ICE propelled vehicles.

Maybe it's "too early to tell", as someone might say.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

Lithium ion batteries are at best 20-30 years old. The high energy density ones more like 10-15.

Combustion engines are over 150 years old.

EVs might go through a Chevy Corsair moment, but I doubt it.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8xNjz73p80
    LiFePO4 is a much more stable battery technology. EV's use these too, some Tesla model 3's use them. I've posted about it before. They don't have the power to weight advantage over Li-ion but they can be recycle charged more times. There are other advantages too, but I've forgotten and don't want to Google cheat.

Anyway, you don't have to have the excitement of an inferno car if you don't want to.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,997
    I would have thought EVs are less likely to catch fire whilst you are in them than petrol as any issues seem to be during charging whereas with petrol it is fuel / vapour leaking when there is heat or a spark. It’s also presumably harder to deliberately torch an EV.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,207
    edited December 2023
    Tesla is already using cobalt-free LFP (LiFePO4) batteries in half of its new cars produced.
    https://electrek.co/2022/04/22/tesla-using-cobalt-free-lfp-batteries-in-half-new-cars-produced/
    Im sure other manufacturers use these too.

Interesting as well the Cybertruck uses a 48v system as opposed to 12v now for it's electronics, which results in being able to use thinner wires (less resistance the higher the voltage). Also, it uses ethernet for the cabling (wiring loom). The steering is completely fly/drive by wire as well, interesting.

As per usual with Tesla they push things forward dramatically, other car manufacturers have been touting a 48v system in their vehicles for years.
  • The other half of me thinks it's all getting too bloody complicated and I love seeing a 2cv pottering around. Easy to work on and maintain.

Surely maintenance is better than a load of new latest and greatest? That's what should be rewarded as a consumer attitude.
  • It's great the transition, Brushless motors are fantastical, but the transition shouldn't be pushed, let the technology do the talking and reward that maintenance attitude.
  • Hmmm, better stop typing now.
  • pblakeney

It's great the transition, Brushless motors are fantastical, but the transition shouldn't be pushed, let the technology do the talking and reward that maintenance attitude.

I like the notion that electric cars are a new idea. 🤣

"Crude electric carriages were first invented in the late 1820s and 1830s. Practical, commercially available electric vehicles appeared during the 1890s. An electric vehicle held the vehicular land speed record until around 1900."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

It's great the transition, Brushless motors are fantastical, but the transition shouldn't be pushed, let the technology do the talking and reward that maintenance attitude.

I like the notion that electric cars are a new idea. 🤣

"Crude electric carriages were first invented in the late 1820s and 1830s. Practical, commercially available electric vehicles appeared during the 1890s. An electric vehicle held the vehicular land speed record until around 1900."

• pblakeney
    Long time since I've seen a milk float but they were common up to the 80s, at least.
    Veronese68 wrote: