Cars, cars, cars...

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

A propos of nothing, I walked past this this morning.

Step-dad has one of these, same colour scheme

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited October 2021

But for the love of God will someone just make a nice looking EV saloon car, so I don't have to chose between a house and something 'cute' that looks like it should be in a cartoon?

That's how people know it's an EV. Whats the point of owning an EV if you cant be a smug prick about it!

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

wavefront said:

in terms of car design, I would be interested in peoples opinion of Hyundai's Iconic 5?

I’m split on this - I want to like this more than I do. It’s a handsome car, very well detailed, and really cleanly styled showing restraint which is always classy. But I wonder if it has enough character? It’s good though that it still feels like a ‘concept car’ . I’m really surprised how big it is and the photos don’t suggest this. It’s a good example of showing how some styling cues and proportions strongly suggest particular segment (ie you think this is golf sized but it’s no). So it’s very interesting to me to see (or understand) why they’ve done this and some critics are suggesting this may be the start of a new trend / typology.

It’s also interesting to see how far Hyundai and Kia have come in terms of design - See the new Kia Ev6.

And it’s also showing up how much bmw, merc (and Audi) have lost their way with their styling across their range with only a couple of cars of note.
    Yes, 4.6m long, I thought it would be more golf sized too. I do think it really is something a bit different and do like it.
    that quite a bit longer than an Evoque which, in itself, is quite shite.

whats its USP/point behind it?
    It is a large, well equipped electric SUV with a decent range for £50k rather than £100k. Basically, it is good and putting the squeeze on the various other brands who have priced EVs out of a lot of the market and/or been caught completely with their trousers down (BMW, Audi) and can only offer massively expensive EVs or EVs with a pathetic range.

But for the love of God will someone just make a nice looking EV saloon car, so I don't have to chose between a house and something 'cute' that looks like it should be in a cartoon?
    but its stupid big and the last thing we need are more stupid big cars, EV or not.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited October 2021

I think this for the majority of the time this is my favourite classic car design the Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT and E-Type are pretty cool too.
  • MattFalle
    Am I wrong in still wanting a Dodge Charger?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631

A propos of nothing, I walked past this this morning.

Do you work on the set of the Larkin's or something?
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    ddraver said:

That's how people know it's an EV. Whats the point of owning an EV if you cant be a smug prick about it!

Insulate Britain still won't be letting you past. Ev or not.
  • First.Aspect
    ddraver said:

Yes, like a Honda Pious.

The novelty has worn off now. We don't need design features taken from Flash Gordon to tell the world that it's an electric car.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

Very wrong. The interior quality is awful and it is American so you can only drive in straight lines. Plus only rednecks drive them.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

wavefront said:

in terms of car design, I would be interested in peoples opinion of Hyundai's Iconic 5?

I’m split on this - I want to like this more than I do. It’s a handsome car, very well detailed, and really cleanly styled showing restraint which is always classy. But I wonder if it has enough character? It’s good though that it still feels like a ‘concept car’ . I’m really surprised how big it is and the photos don’t suggest this. It’s a good example of showing how some styling cues and proportions strongly suggest particular segment (ie you think this is golf sized but it’s no). So it’s very interesting to me to see (or understand) why they’ve done this and some critics are suggesting this may be the start of a new trend / typology.

It’s also interesting to see how far Hyundai and Kia have come in terms of design - See the new Kia Ev6.

And it’s also showing up how much bmw, merc (and Audi) have lost their way with their styling across their range with only a couple of cars of note.
    Yes, 4.6m long, I thought it would be more golf sized too. I do think it really is something a bit different and do like it.
    that quite a bit longer than an Evoque which, in itself, is quite shite.

whats its USP/point behind it?
    It is a large, well equipped electric SUV with a decent range for £50k rather than £100k. Basically, it is good and putting the squeeze on the various other brands who have priced EVs out of a lot of the market and/or been caught completely with their trousers down (BMW, Audi) and can only offer massively expensive EVs or EVs with a pathetic range.

but its stupid big and the last thing we need are more stupid big cars, EV or not.
    How long and wide is your M4?
  • elbowloh

Hello!

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    MattFalle said:

Yes.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    I think we need to redefine what the purpose of a car is. Manufacturers/Marketing pretend its about moving people around. If that was the case then why are we making things that transport people weigh 20x more than the thing they are transporting (SUV ~ 1600kgs / Average Person 80kgs). It's more about moving the thing than moving the contents. No matter how you cut it, this will never be a "green" thing like this. At least my bike is about 7.5x lighter than I am.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle
    Too long and wide, which is why I also have THE MIGHTY AYGO OF POWER AND JOY.
  • elbowloh

ddraver said:

Yes, like a Honda Pious.

The novelty has worn off now. We don't need design features taken from Flash Gordon to tell the world that it's an electric car.
    Toyota.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    elbowloh said:

ddraver said:

Yes, like a Honda Pious.

Toyota.
    Oh yes. It was the Honda Insight wasn't it. Which was actually quite an interesting footnote in motoring history.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

I think we need to redefine what the purpose of a car is. Manufacturers/Marketing pretend its about moving people around. If that was the case then why are we making things that transport people weigh 20x more than the thing they are transporting (SUV ~ 1600kgs / Average Person 80kgs). It's more about moving the thing than moving the contents. No matter how you cut it, this will never be a "green" thing like this. At least my bike is about 7.5x lighter than I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63wCfqSQp8c

Look what Manufactures in China are producing, it's damn impressive for the price.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Likewise if Elon really wqants to "change the world" he needs to stop developing cars that do 0-60 in 2.8s instead of 2.9s and make a transit van that can do a tachograph day on a single charge (albeit with a top up over the 45)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,709
    Really cool people drive sh!t cheap cars as they know cars are about as uncool as it gets, and only other uncool people think they are cool. B)

;);)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Benefit of getting older.
    Being cool counts for nowt.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect

Really cool people drive sh!t cheap cars as they know cars are about as uncool as it gets, and only other uncool people think they are cool. B)

;);)

You've got a shit car haven't you?
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

ddraver said:

Yes, like a Honda Pious.

Toyota.
    Oh yes. It was the Honda Insight wasn't it. Which was actually quite an interesting footnote in motoring history.
    I had a Prius as a company car. Got it because the BIK was ridiculously low (about £90 per month), no congestion charge also.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey

;);)

You've got a censored car haven't you?
    Ha yes, totally. 2015 0.9L polo.
  • How do you get anything inside when you need to go somewhere?

We couldn't even get a pram in the back without folding the seats down (both fold at once) - then you can't get a child seat in!
  • rick_chasey

How do you get anything inside when you need to go somewhere?

We couldn't even get a pram in the back without folding the seats down (both fold at once) - then you can't get a child seat in!

Get a smaller pram. I can fit two suitcases in with the pram.
  • How do you get anything inside when you need to go somewhere?

But that doesn't correspond with buying the cheapest pram you can find! I think I paid £100 for the pram, all the ancilleries and they threw in the carseat and a load of other useful stuff too. Did cost me £20k for a new car though ;)
  • First.Aspect
    He is a hobbit, remember.
  • rick_chasey

But that doesn't correspond with buying the cheapest pram you can find! I think I paid £100 for the pram, all the ancilleries and they threw in the carseat and a load of other useful stuff too. Did cost me £20k for a new car though ;)
    Yeah I paid £600 for my pram, but then we do walk everywhere.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

That's weird.
    Wife's base model 2009 Polo has split folding rear seats.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh

Yeah I paid £600 for my pram, but then we do walk everywhere.
    Ours was about £1000 for pushchair, bassinet, car seat and adapters. We're currently using a cheaper £200 one more, it folds up small enough to be taken on a plane as hand luggage. It's been to SA, the US and New Zealand...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk