Cars, cars, cars...

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,097
    I once remember going north up the M5, with four of us in a friend's Mini, making it sway in the carriageway by the two of us in the back seat rocking from side-to-side in unison.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Talking of tests, I'm going to wager no-one got their licence more cheaply than me: taught to drive by my dad, passed first time, so total cost was one test (I think it was £10.30, or was that the licence?) and the full licence. Of course, if someone did it in old money, they might win...

I had to pay for motorbike and car but trailer, light goods, medium goods, hgv, minibus and blue lights all paid for by work - lessons, tests, medicals, provisional and full licences, the full lot, so overall i don't think too bad.

then all the conversions, including the really useful 15 tonne 8 wheel truck thing and all the off road stuff.

tbh, if you want driving licences and want to drive, its not a bad place to be.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,908

I once remember going north up the M5, with four of us in a friend's Mini, making it sway in the carriageway by the two of us in the back seat rocking from side-to-side in unison.

I got a rear flat tyre once. The jack didn't work.
    No problem. 2 passengers simply lifted the back up, and we were by no means muscular.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

I got a rear flat tyre once. The jack didn't work.
    No problem. 2 passengers simply lifted the back up, and we were by no means muscular.

Oh yes, quite fun to do that and leave a car parked at 90° to where it had been left, especially when it had been left in front of a drive...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,747
    Talking of small light cars, the Mini has nothing on this:
    https://youtu.be/dJfSS0ZXYdo
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Talking of tests, I'm going to wager no-one got their licence more cheaply than me: taught to drive by my dad, passed first time, so total cost was one test (I think it was £10.30, or was that the licence?) and the full licence. Of course, if someone did it in old money, they might win...

You beat me. I can't remember costs but family taught, 3 lessons to be "test ready" and passed first time. Late 70s prices, 50p a pint at the time for relativity.
    Just to add to the relativity.
    My first car once passed was a second hand Mini. £500 from a dealer.
    My old man used to work for BL so in 1974 with a staff discount got one brand new for £500.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

You beat me. I can't remember costs but family taught, 3 lessons to be "test ready" and passed first time. Late 70s prices, 50p a pint at the time for relativity.
    My old man used to work for BL so in 1974 with a staff discount got one brand new for £500.

I've got a memory of them being under £1000 when I was aware of car prices... though might be wrong...
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,571
    When my father retired, they moved to Noosa in QLD near the beach. For reasons never fully understood Dad decided the best car for Mum was a Lada Niva - the “convertible” version with a folding vinyl roof (ok, collapsing - randomly - is more accurate).

Stupidly unreliable was being generous. You could sit and watch the rust spread and on a quiet evening I swear you could hear it rusting away.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915

Cost me nothing. MoD just after basic training - 1st part of trade training. Civil contractor and assessment. Passed after a couple of hours, but then I'd had a full bike licence for about 18 months so easy conversion. Followed up with short off-road course to pass the time.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399

Pa raver mostly taught me with some lessons from an (ex-marine) instructor to polish the rough edges before the test.

To be fair, most of it is just practice so I was the designated driver for a year or so.

Passed first time with a casual 15 minors 😋
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204

in terms of car design, I would be interested in peoples opinion of Hyundai's Iconic 5?
  • focuszing723

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,906
    elbowloh said:

My family didn't own a car so I had no practice time outside of paid for lessons, had never even sat in the driving seat of a car until my first lesson.

Think I had about 20 lessons in total. 100% on the theory and passed first time. Then did Pass Plus, for 6 extra hours of night time and driving in the rain experience.

My instructor did the pass plus in 3 hours for half price as I'd done half of the things on it already whilst learning, which I thought was remarkably reasonable.
  • pblakeney
    Similar to an A1/A3.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle

in terms of car design, I would be interested in peoples opinion of Hyundai's Iconic 5?

bland. vanilla. hits all the safety requirements but meh.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,509
    edited October 2021

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

When Minis were mini...

...and Maxis were quite small too.

I read recently that the battery for a new electric Jag weighs about the same as the original mini. Is that progress?
  • briantrumpet
    singleton said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

When Minis were mini...

...and Maxis were quite small too.

I read recently that the battery for a new electric Jag weighs about the same as the original mini. Is that progress?

And (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the wheelbase of the new Mini Cooper is longer than a Mk1 Range Rover.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Its not very Iconic. Looks like a cross between a Honda Civic and a DeLorean.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    elbowloh said:

Its not very Iconic. Looks like a cross between a Honda Civic and a DeLorean.

Wouldn't take much to rebrand it as the Ironic
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

I’m split on this - I want to like this more than I do. It’s a handsome car, very well detailed, and really cleanly styled showing restraint which is always classy. But I wonder if it has enough character? It’s good though that it still feels like a ‘concept car’ . I’m really surprised how big it is and the photos don’t suggest this. It’s a good example of showing how some styling cues and proportions strongly suggest particular segment (ie you think this is golf sized but it’s no). So it’s very interesting to me to see (or understand) why they’ve done this and some critics are suggesting this may be the start of a new trend / typology.

It’s also interesting to see how far Hyundai and Kia have come in terms of design - See the new Kia Ev6.

And it’s also showing up how much bmw, merc (and Audi) have lost their way with their styling across their range with only a couple of cars of note.
  • pblakeney
    wavefront said:

And it’s also showing up how much bmw, merc (and Audi) have lost their way with their styling across their range with only a couple of cars of note.

IIRC those cars have been styled to suit the Chinese/Asian market.
    Not to my taste but you can see the business model.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pblakeney said:

wavefront said:

IIRC those cars have been styled to suit the Chinese/Asian market.
    Not to my taste but you can see the business model.
    and the American market also.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk

• in terms of car design, I would be interested in peoples opinion of Hyundai's Iconic 5?

it looks a lot better in darker colours

maybe it is me but I am always surprised how much difference colour makes to the appearance of a car
  • focuszing723
    wavefront said:

I’m split on this - I want to like this more than I do. It’s a handsome car, very well detailed, and really cleanly styled showing restraint which is always classy. But I wonder if it has enough character? It’s good though that it still feels like a ‘concept car’ . I’m really surprised how big it is and the photos don’t suggest this. It’s a good example of showing how some styling cues and proportions strongly suggest particular segment (ie you think this is golf sized but it’s no). So it’s very interesting to me to see (or understand) why they’ve done this and some critics are suggesting this may be the start of a new trend / typology.

It’s also interesting to see how far Hyundai and Kia have come in terms of design - See the new Kia Ev6.

Yes, 4.6m long, I thought it would be more golf sized too. I do think it really is something a bit different and do like it.
  • MattFalle

• focuszing723

it looks a lot better in darker colours

maybe it is me but I am always surprised how much difference colour makes to the appearance of a car

To be honest I think silver is the best colour as it blends in better will the sill and wheel arches.
  • MattFalle

wavefront said:

Yes, 4.6m long, I thought it would be more golf sized too. I do think it really is something a bit different and do like it.
    that quite a bit longer than an Evoque which, in itself, is quite shite.

whats its USP/point behind it?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,747

It looks ok - like most modern cars it's inoffensive but a bit bland.

Googled a few videos and yes it's much bigger than you'd imagine isn't it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,684
    MattFalle said:

wavefront said:

that quite a bit longer than an Evoque which, in itself, is quite shite.

whats its USP/point behind it?
    It is a large, well equipped electric SUV with a decent range for £50k rather than £100k. Basically, it is good and putting the squeeze on the various other brands who have priced EVs out of a lot of the market and/or been caught completely with their trousers down (BMW, Audi) and can only offer massively expensive EVs or EVs with a pathetic range.

But for the love of God will someone just make a nice looking EV saloon car, so I don't have to chose between a house and something 'cute' that looks like it should be in a cartoon?
  • briantrumpet
    A propos of nothing, I walked past this this morning.