Cars, cars, cars...

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,567
    Have to agree about Land Rover being agricultural pieces of junk. Used them for towing boats-dreadful. Swapped for an early Mitsubishi Shogan, it was better in every respect.
  • masjer
    Toyota Hilux 4X4 was an amazing vehicle. I used and really abused one for years, and it would never die.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Reading between the lines, I sense you’re not a fan?

I’m actually looking to get an old defender - just moved house, 550 miles up north, now in the boonies, house up a mile long inclined gravel track. Snow will be here in a four weeks. Proper Landies, whilst maybe being utter sh…. to drive and are just ‘lifestyle’ choices for the London crowd, are actually exceptionally capable off road and the workhorse of choice around here.
  • masjer
    edited October 2021
    I can only really comment about early Land Rovers being hateful- series i,ii and iii. The ones with cart springs, leaking carbs, wobbly steering boxes and the most uncomfortable driving position.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    masjer said:

I can only really comment about early Land Drovers being hateful- series i,ii and iii. The ones with cart springs, leaking carbs, wobbly steering boxes and the most uncomfortable driving position.

I remember driving a LWB one built in the 70s. Yes, a pile of junk, with about two inches of play on the steering wheel, and a top speed of about 55mph on a good day, but it was better in the snow than a tractor. And on the plus side, without power steering, it was great for building up the arm muscles.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    masjer said:

I can only really comment about early Land Drovers being hateful- series i,ii and iii. The ones with cart springs, leaking carbs, wobbly steering boxes and the most uncomfortable driving position.

Ah! My post was in reply to MF, just saw yours! I keep being told Mistu and Hilux are very very capable and should be the go-to choice, but just can’t quite bring myself to ‘like’ them enough. I’m my own worst enemy tho’, I like cars that have visual character and often ignore all the other aspects no matter how good they are.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    wavefront said:

😂😂😂
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    edited October 2021
    wavefront said:

I’m actually looking to get an old defender - just moved house, 550 miles up north, now in the boonies, house up a mile long inclined gravel track. Snow will be here in a four weeks. Proper Landies, whilst maybe being utter sh…. to drive and are just ‘lifestyle’ choices for the London crowd, are actually exceptionally capable off road and the workhorse of choice around here.

Hi-Lux - older one is what you want.

Go forever, more reliable, more comfy, proper load carrying, all round 10,00 times better, plus you don't look like a nob in a Landy.

Theres a reason a) everyone uses them in every decent civil war in the world and b) no one cares we left about a squillion Landies in Afghan and Iraq because we know Terry won't use them because a) they are shite b) unreliable c) not fit for purpose d) they are shite.

utter pieces of junk.
  • MattFalle
    wavefront said:

masjer said:

Ah! My post was in reply to MF, just saw yours! I keep being told Mistu and Hilux are very very capable and should be the go-to choice, but just can’t quite bring myself to ‘like’ them enough. I’m my own worst enemy tho’, I like cars that have visual character and often ignore all the other aspects no matter how good they are.
    Hi-Lux. End of.
  • MattFalle

can't do this in a shite Landy.
  • masjer
    Are those optional extras?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    MattFalle said:

no one cares we left about a squillion Landies in Afghan and Iraq because we know Terry won't use them because

Fools!

Could have bought them back here and sold them for thousands to boomer hipsters
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • masjer
    wavefront said:

I’m actually looking to get an old defender - just moved house, 550 miles up north, now in the boonies, house up a mile long inclined gravel track.

Wow, you've sure got your social distancing sorted.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,548
    My first job aged 17 back in was on a motorway construction site and we had old (mid 90s) Landrovers to blat about in.
    I remember them being horrible to drive around town but great fun on site - as long as you weren't sat in the back with all the wooden pegs falling on you while someone was doing doughnuts in the mud.

I very rarely drive my car - it is a rubbish old peugeot 207 but that means i don't really mind the fact that the kids climb all over it with muddy boots and it seems to pick up a few random scrapes. My daily runabout is a 600cc motorbike so there's no point me getting a 'fun' car as it's never going to be as much fun as the bike (or as quick for any journey I'm likely to do)
  • MattFalle
    masjer said:

Are those optional extras?

yup but you have to ask for the "special catalogue" nudge nudge
  • ddraver

- @ddraver
  • masjer

Cars cars cars Since you lot seem to have a lot to say about them... fire away!

It's getting too literal now.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    Best: Golf GTi (Performance Spec)
    Worst: Saab 93
    Fave: Alfa Romeo GT Cloverleaf
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    The land rover wasn't ever supposed to be a road going vehicle. It is a farm vehicle, made of spare bits of aeroplanes. I don't know why everyone is then surprised when it turns out to be a bad family car. And given that it's a 70 year old design, comparing it to a 90s Hilux is a bit harsh as well.

About as rational as MF complaining that his M4 is no use because there is not enough traction over marshy ground.

I'm all in on ridiculing people with trendy jeans and Blundstones driving Land Rovers equipped with snorkels around London, though.
  • MattFalle
    It's a bad car per se, let alone on the road.

It's indefensively bad.

In fact one may describe them as shite.
  • MattFalle
    And we're not comparing a Series 1 'Rover to a modern Hi-Lux, although a Series 1 is still shite - anything from early 90s onwards the Hi-Lux outclasses a Rover in everything except jingoistic Clarkson-esque Daily Mail readership.

Its the ideal vehicle to showcase Brexit.

And yes - agree completely re appalling dress sense of people driving these things - what is it with them wearing jeans tucked into boots and scarves and thinking they are Indiana Jones?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    ddraver said:

MattFalle said:

no one cares we left about a squillion Landies in Afghan and Iraq because we know Terry won't use them because

Fools!

Could have bought them back here and sold them for thousands to boomer hipsters
    boomer hipsters - aren't those terms mutually exclusive? If you're a boomer surely you're way too old to be a hipster?

MF is right about the HiLux - it's been the go to off road vehicle in most of the rest of the world for the last 30 years.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    MattFalle said:

And we're not comparing a Series 1 'Rover to a modern Hi-Lux, although a Series 1 is still shite - anything from early 90s onwards the Hi-Lux outclasses a Rover in everything except jingoistic Clarkson-esque Daily Mail readership.

Its the ideal vehicle to showcase Brexit.

And yes - agree completely re appalling dress sense of people driving these things - what is it with them wearing jeans tucked into boots and scarves and thinking they are Indiana Jones?

Friend had a 90's Hilux and I borrowed it for a couple of weeks. Not sure I'd agree that it was in any way a comfortable or enjoyable vehicle.

Admittedly in the little off roading I did with it, it didn't sound like scaffolding collapsing in a storm, like a Land Rover does when being driven on fresh smooth tarmac.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    Best (most fun) car I've ever had - Golf MkII 16V Gti with gas flowed head, polished inlet runners, custom exhaust manifold and pipes, coilover suspension and stuff. It absolutely flew once you hit around 6k rpm! It really screamed (made me scream too!). It was also the worst - it was always breaking down/breaking. I put three engines in it over 3.5 years of ownership. It cost me a lot of money to keep repairing/replacing tyres that wore out. Great fun though and kept my hands greasy/black.

Best car (most reliable and had the longest) - Skoda Octavia 2.0Tdi. Had it for 13 years. Economical. Reliable. Hugest boot I've every seen. Easily put 2-3 bikes in the back with wheels still on. Can fit full size doors in the back and close the boot. It's not even an estate version!

Most rubbish car - Renault 14. Rear of it looked like a sh!t filled nappy. Rusted to hell. Spark plugs inaccesible. Nothing worked on it or if it did it would fail very shortly after.

Most rubbish car #2 - the wife's Vauxhall Chevette (Shove-it) as mentioned earlier. It was so terrible I'm surprised they allowed Vauxhall to put their name to it.

Most rubbish car #3 - the BMW 520 I got from my parents. It was the carb version. They hardly maintained it. The engine was shot. Used about 4 litres of oil driving 200 miles to London and back. Looked like a James Bond smoke effect.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Worst car I ever drove was my mums Maestro. Thought I did her a favour writing it off after hitting black ice, for her to replace with another bloody Maestro!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Most fun car I have driven was my wife's old Saxo VTR, held the corners brilliantly and went PDQ too. I enjoyed my MG ZR too. I know it was effectively a re-badged Rover 25 but whatever mods they made in the re-badgeing worked pretty well.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    Weirdly, now this has its own ghetto, I'm quite enjoying this thread, despite not really liking cars.

I once dreamed about putting a Lotus 2L engine in the Chrysler Sunbeam I inherited from my gran when she stopped driving it, but, apart from the practicalities, thought that the chassis would crumple into something unrecognisable the moment I put my foot down for the first time.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited October 2021

Most rubbish car - Renault 14. Rear of it looked like a sh!t filled nappy. Rusted to hell. Spark plugs inaccesible. Nothing worked on it or if it did it would fail very shortly after.

Oooo. New thread tangent, designed in awkwardness.

Subaru Legacy. Official method to change a headlight bulb involves removing the whole front bumper assembly to remove the light unit.
    I managed without but lost skin off my hands in the process.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    The Elise is pretty incredible in terms of power to weight and raw ability, also poignant that Lotus are ending production of it after 25 years. The chips are on/in EV's now.

• ddraver
    For another skewed look at "Best"...

We had a Nissan Micra in which sis raver and I both learned to drive. I think it was a 1L engine and (obvs) got totally abused with 2 teenagers driving it to uni at 100mph m(😶), running into lamp posts, hedges, ditches etc, . I slept in the back of it at Reading and Download Festivals (somehow) yet it just soldiered on like, dare I say, a Hilux.

If all cars could be as reliable as that we would live in a better world.
    - @ddraver