Cars, cars, cars...

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    I think any car where the rev limit isn't electronically hard wired in is inherently fun, just for the jeopardy. Particularly those without rev counters.

I refer to my Mini Metro in this regard. Not sure, but I think it would go to about 18000 rpm.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I laughed a little when I saw the comment about the Subaru Legacy, I had one for about 120k miles and I'm now pleased to recall that I never had to change a light bulb. It was a great car tbh, fast and totally reliable if a bit thirsty, with that nice flat six 'wuffle' and room for bikes in the back.

Agree on the landy comments, I still get uncomfortable and start to feel a bit queasy whenever I see one.

Most fun? Prob a 240Z back in the early 80's.
    Cra4ppest? Prob a HB Viva. 1056cc of pure tramadol.
    Best sounding? Prob current car, V8 RS4.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Now, most memorable drive?

Convoy of well tooled up Humvees going as fast as possible through and down some eastern european mountains through a huuuge thunderstorm with mahoosif lightning bolts going off with a load of jets and helicopters overhead, Foo Fighters playing as loud as the speaker would go......

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    edited October 2021
    MattFalle said:

I could answer that, but I'm likely to get banned.
    Other than that occasion, a Ferrari F355 on the track.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    Memorable good, or memorable bad? Take your pick of:

- Aquaplaning at night coming town from the Snohomish Pass.
    - Drifting down a gravel road into the Grand Canyon, then parking it in the river. (this is possible, you just need to know exactly where).
    - Doing something similar in a rental car on an access road to Area 51. Wide, federally maintained, presumably for evacuating the base, unfortunately ended with a double puncture, which is a whole other story.
    - Re-creating a lap of Reims in a Ford Cortina was quite fun as well. Before they tarted up the old pit buildings.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Thanks to you all, for now being 1/2 day behind with work. Been looking at Autotrader for hilux, Mitsubishi….. and humvees a and bloody peugeot 205’s. Damn you lot.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    masjer said:

wavefront said:

I’m actually looking to get an old defender - just moved house, 550 miles up north, now in the boonies, house up a mile long inclined gravel track.

Wow, you've sure got your social distancing sorted.

Just decided I don’t like people!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Driving an empty minibus on my own from Chamonix to Verbier over the Forclaz/Montets in a snow storm at about 1 am

Do I need to stop and put the chains on..? Naaaah 😮

(Apparently retarders can lock the wheels in the snow...that's a fun moment)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320

I think any car where the rev limit isn't electronically hard wired in is inherently fun, just for the jeopardy. Particularly those without rev counters.

I refer to my Mini Metro in this regard. Not sure, but I think it would go to about 18000 rpm.

Candidate for best car I never owned. Once borrowed a 1.2 Alfasud in Italy that had been hauled out of a scrap yard and pressed into service recce'ing rallies in the place of a Saab turbo as it was disposable but shared fwd and front handbrake. It was brilliant, infinite rev's and would go everywhere flat out. The guy eventually killed it falling off a mountain road.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Other than that, a Ferrari F355 on the track.
    I once lapped an F355 at Castle Combe in a supercharged MX5, I suspect the Ferrari driver wasn't up to it.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2021

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Other than that, a Ferrari F355 on the track.
    I once lapped an F355 at Castle Combe in a supercharged MX5, I suspect the Ferrari driver wasn't up to it.
    It was quite possibly his personal expensive toy car.
    The one I was driving wasn't mine, and was properly insured. 😉
    It was capable of more than I could handle. Scared witless on one blind corner.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle
    wavefront said:

Thanks to you all, for now being 1/2 day behind with work. Been looking at Autotrader for hilux, Mitsubishi….. and humvees a and bloody peugeot 205’s. Damn you lot.

pleasure to help any time.
  • MattFalle
    edited October 2021
    wavefront said:

Humvees you say? have my Humvee...

• First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

wavefront said:

Humvees you say? have my Humvee...

That has to be a parent and child spot you are parked in.
  • MattFalle
    Trolley park at Edwyn's....
  • MattFalle
    Parked it on top of an electric car
  • Tashman said:

Worst car I ever drove was my mums Maestro. Thought I did her a favour writing it off after hitting black ice, for her to replace with another bloody Maestro!

The Maestro should get more recognition on this thread. It was my first (company) car and was a total piece of sh1t with no redeeming features. After a long run you could turn the ignition off, remove the key and it would keep chugging along.

The conglomerate I worked for got such a good bulk discount they only insured them 3rd party not even bothering with fire or theft.

I assumed only fellow employees would be driving one so I used to wave hello when one went the other way.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    masjer said:

wavefront said:

I’m actually looking to get an old defender - just moved house, 550 miles up north, now in the boonies, house up a mile long inclined gravel track.

Wow, you've sure got your social distancing sorted.

I think the .50 cal is standard on any sold outside the UK. Bloody health safety gone mad.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    oxoman said:

Mate had the maestro turbo and its power was insane at the time. He used to drive it like he stole it, which he hadn't. His dad made him get a car after he smashed most of his ankles and ribs in a motorbike accident, so he got this hooligan mobile.

When I started work in '89 my first site visit was with a trainee a year above me who had a virtually new Maestro Turbo. No-one knew how he could afford the car or the insurance. It was the first time I'd been in a car travelling over 100mph (on a wet motorway too!).
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    First time I ever drove a car on my own after passing my test was a Rover 400 turbo company car from London to home, in rush hour on the M25. It did 0-60 in about 7 seconds.

Everything was ok until the day I had to return it when I pranged it getting into the office car park....

The entrance had a tight angle onto a down ramp which someone had put a cone in a weird place and going round the cone meant I was coming in at a wrong angle for the ramp.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906
    Talking of tests, I'm going to wager no-one got their licence more cheaply than me: taught to drive by my dad, passed first time, so total cost was one test (I think it was £10.30, or was that the licence?) and the full licence. Of course, if someone did it in old money, they might win...
  • First.Aspect

Talking of tests, I'm going to wager no-one got their licence more cheaply than me: taught to drive by my dad, passed first time, so total cost was one test (I think it was £10.30, or was that the licence?) and the full licence. Of course, if someone did it in old money, they might win...

There weren't any road signs to learn back then, Brian.
  • pblakeney

You beat me. I can't remember costs but family taught, 3 lessons to be "test ready" and passed first time. Late 70s prices, 50p a pint at the time for relativity.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    My family didn't own a car so I had no practice time outside of paid for lessons, had never even sat in the driving seat of a car until my first lesson.

Think I had about 20 lessons in total. 100% on the theory and passed first time. Then did Pass Plus, for 6 extra hours of night time and driving in the rain experience.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

Also, no other cars on the road...a few horses mind. 😉
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

You beat me. I can't remember costs but family taught, 3 lessons to be "test ready" and passed first time. Late 70s prices, 50p a pint at the time for relativity.

Mine was 1981. I forgot to mention that our really grumpy next door retired neighbour had been a driving examiner for part of his career (also a policeman), and very kindly took me out for two practice tests.

Does anyone get family-taught these days, or is it just too technical? My gran never took a test, because she had driven a mobile canteen for troops stationed around Bristol during WW2.
  • First.Aspect
    I passed first time in the UK and then first time in Canada.

The Canadian one basically involved being able to turn the car on and stay under the speed limit. I nearly failed on the last part.
  • briantrumpet
    elbowloh said:

Also, no other cars on the road...a few horses mind. 😉

The driving test centre in Bristol to avoid back then was Clifton. It's always been a bit chaotic. Probably because it was designed for horses.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney said:

Just to add to the relativity.
    My first car once passed was a second hand Mini. £500 from a dealer.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Just to add to the relativity.
    My first car once passed was a second hand Mini. £500 from a dealer.

When Minis were mini...

...and Maxis were quite small too.