Paris Roubaix 2021 pre race chat

Comments

• Wacky races.

Iris Slappendel is sh*tting herself on the back of the moto.

This is great.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • And come on Lizzie!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    Ad free stream commentary now switched on.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550

Got a big screen to myself at Enduro World Series in Tweed Valley

Benefits if owning biggest mobile screen in Scotland and the place deserted due to rain 😉
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    Mad_Malx said:

Gcn giving Dutch commentary but nothing on English just now

I've got English on the app
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited October 2021
    gsk82 said:

If this is what a wet PR looks like I'll "settle" for dry

It's an outdoor sport, so you don't get a choice.

Lizzie D seems to be coping OK.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82

gsk82 said:

If this is what a wet PR looks like I'll "settle" for dry

It's an outdoor sport, so you don't get a choice.

Lizzie D seems to be coping OK.
    It was that joke mud section I was meaning really. That isn't road cycling. Hopefully there nothing else like that.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Slightly surprised when I checked the ES player earlier and it showed coverage running from 2.00-4.45, switching on at 2.30 and it's down to 40km to go!

Lizzie going well solo with 2'26" leading which she keeps eeking out. Chasing group is getting large now though. One benefit of the wet is it stops people trying to ride off the edge of the pave.

Good point made earlier that the short distance does make the cobbled sections more intense.
  • Pross
    Chase group is 20 strong now by my reckoning and includes most of the big names
  • thegreasedscotsman
    thegreasedscotsman Posts: 35
    edited October 2021
    Just go to the carrefour, spotting with rain, but it’s quite windy too!
  • gsk82
    Pross said:

Chase group is 20 strong now by my reckoning and includes most of the big names

Including at least 3 of her teammates who were allowed to dordle along on the front a few minutes ago. It's amazing how often that happens nowadays.

The race is trending number 3 on Twitter atm.
  • Quite a few of the chasing group are struggling on the pave and not just with staying upright.
  • Pross
    Coverage is poor considering it was a much awaited first ever running. You would have thought they'd have had start to finish coverage (a good practice run for the TV crew ahead of tomorrow as well).
  • Pross
    I guess growing up riding the wet, horrible roads of Yorkshire is good experience for this race ;)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    The chase is too bunched up entering the pave ...they need to get lined out on the centre line early as possible ...losing loads of time ⏱️
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    Pross said:

I guess growing up riding the wet, horrible roads of Yorkshire is good experience for this race ;)

There's nothing horrible about riding around Otley
  • Just go to the carrefour, spotting with rain, but it’s quite windy too!

Try not to get taken out by the inevitable pile up on the usual corner. :p
  • mididoctors
    Wasting loads of energy ...easy sitting at home I guess ..but there's no point battling for the front of the peloton on the cobbles from 15 places down
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    6 secs a km they need ... Roughly .... Liz needs to get her feeding strategy wrong I think
  • mididoctors
    Losing numbers behind
  • Pross
    Did I read somewhere that Ineos are moving to disc brakes for tomorrow? Seems a strange race to choose to make the jump especially with their mechanics not being used to changing wheels quickly in race conditions yet.
  • gsk82
    I wish Danny Rowe would stop exaggerating.
  • Pross
    20" pulled back in a few Kms.
  • mididoctors
    Time coming down fast now has Liz cracked
  • Final section up to the restaurant at the carrefour, strong crosswind!
  • gsk82
    They're gaining time pretty quickly now. But she did look like she was having a bit of a rest before this latest sector.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Did I read somewhere that Ineos are moving to disc brakes for tomorrow? Seems a strange race to choose to make the jump especially with their mechanics not being used to changing wheels quickly in race conditions yet.

. Rim breaks and mud is not great .. I get it .

• Pross
    gsk82 said:

They're gaining time pretty quickly now. But she did look like she was having a bit of a rest before this latest sector.

I think the cobbles are her friend. Opened a few seconds again now.
  • Pross
    Playing into van Dijk's hands if they do catch her though.
  • gsk82

Pross said:

. Rim breaks and mud is not great .. I get it .

They don't have any contenders so might as well keep the sponsors happy. I bet they wouldn't be on them if Pidcock and Ganna were riding.