Paris Roubaix 2021 pre race chat

167891012»

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596

The BBC is certainly getting a lot of mileage out of the event.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/58805044

Back to gloves. I don't get this. If she never wears gloves I would have thought she has calluses in all the right places. Unless she is saying that P-R destroys hands whether you wear gloves or not.

"A lot of people were saying: 'Why didn't you wear gloves?' But I never wear gloves, because even when you wear gloves, you still get blisters because it's all about the chafing and vibration between your fingers.
    Don't know if you've ridden the PR cobbles or not but they're not like anything else you'd find in 'Road' cycling. The Flanders ones are like a minor annoyance when you ride over them, compared to the forces the Roubaix ones put through the bike (and your hands trying to control said bike).
    My office used to have 50m of gentle town cobbles outside it. I would walk that bit.
  • TheBigBean

I am here for the gloves chat and I tried it when I saw boonen win roubaix without them and never went back to them (unless it's cold obviously, but then I go for no padding)

This all seems sensible, but why didn't you consider it until you saw Boonen do it? This is the problem with pros using discs - it influences the market too much, and people should be capable of making their own choice.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

Back to gloves. I don't get this. If she never wears gloves I would have thought she has calluses in all the right places. Unless she is saying that P-R destroys hands whether you wear gloves or not.

"A lot of people were saying: 'Why didn't you wear gloves?' But I never wear gloves, because even when you wear gloves, you still get blisters because it's all about the chafing and vibration between your fingers.
    That bit is relatively easy to improve, you just put some chamois cream or bodyglide on your palms and between your fingers.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Pross said:

That bit is relatively easy to improve, you just put some chamois cream or bodyglide on your palms and between your fingers.
    I would imagine wet / grit / mud may have contributed to the injuries a bit as well.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I think I'd wear gloves for PR and I often don't for day to day riding - but just to protect against blisters I'd have thought an unpadded glove would be a good idea. However I'm not going to ride the PR course with and without to test the idea out.

There's also the likelihood of crashing in any pro race (or just any race) I'd have thought it'd be wise to protect your palms.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

I am here for the gloves chat and I tried it when I saw boonen win roubaix without them and never went back to them (unless it's cold obviously, but then I go for no padding)

This all seems sensible, but why didn't you consider it until you saw Boonen do it? This is the problem with pros using discs - it influences the market too much, and people should be capable of making their own choice.
    I read on here something about not wanting to lose the skin off my palms if I fell.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

Pross said:

I would imagine wet / grit / mud may have contributed to the injuries a bit as well.
    Unfortunately the bit I tried to quote didn't show up. My suggestion of chamois cream or Bodyglide was to resolve the reasoning Lizzie gave for not wearing gloves - that the gloves themselves rub and chafe especially between the fingers. I know what she means and have had it happen but that feels more easily solved.
  • TheBigBean

I read on here something about not wanting to lose the skin off my palms if I fell.

Gloveless inspiration for young Chaseys out there. Van der Poel winning Strade Bianchi

• rick_chasey
    My view is if you're finding it very uncomfortable on your palms there are bigger issues afoot, most likely related to a weak lower back.

PR is obviously a rather different beast to every-day-cycling.
  • I've never worn gloves. I don't see the need for them.

In line with RC's point - the risk to me isn't the palms, but the back of your hands - if you damage your knuckles they take forever to heal as every time you make a fist, it reopens the scabs.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Been recovering from the first half of Carpal Tunnel decompression recently.

Can I day that if it's something you suffer from just go and get it sorted NOW. The difference is extraordinary. I guarantee, like me, that you've forgotten what it's like to have properly working hands!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I usually wear gloves unless it's hot. It's mainly force of habit though as I couldn't say I really notice the difference. Unless it's cold and I need winter gloves - but I don't suffer with cold hands much anyway, it's more cold feet for me.

Almost always wear them on MTB, apparently the cool kids don't these days.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    I feel undressed with out gloves ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey

I feel undressed with out gloves ...

Right, but what about your cycling kit?
  • I don't think he's talking about cycling any more
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104

I've never worn gloves. I don't see the need for them.

In line with RC's point - the risk to me isn't the palms, but the back of your hands - if you damage your knuckles they take forever to heal as every time you make a fist, it reopens the scabs.

I think if you've ever had to get a family member to assist in wiping your arse, you absolute understand the need for gloves.
  • andyp said:

I think if you've ever had to get a family member to assist in wiping your censored , you absolute understand the need for gloves.
    For you or the family member?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750

andyp said:

I think if you've ever had to get a family member to assist in wiping your censored , you absolute understand the need for gloves.
    For you or the family member?
    Both I'd imagine.
    Euwwwww. 🤮
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339

Maybe try using your words then? 😜
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023