Paris Roubaix 2021 pre race chat

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

m.r.m. said:

Neither looked that good at the worlds and only WvA has ridden the race before (best 13th), so whilst they are usually the strongest riders and favourites, I'm not sure they are such dead certs this time. That said, none of the other riders have much form either.

If it rains it could be one of those "from nowhere" wins of Mads Pedersen. Might be an amazing race just based off everyone being somewhat off and there not being any real favourite. Well either that or my wishful thinking.
    Mads P is a decent outside chance. He was bitterly disappointed to get crashed out of the World's (two crashes, both caused by other riders - though avoiding those situations is also a skill). And yeah, he likes it hard and wet.
    I remember Kelly talking about whether he liked riding in the rain. He said he didn't like it, just disliked it less than everyone else.
  • PCS showing GVA in the Ag2R team - thought he'd binned the season off?

2 former winners lining up for Lotto.

Other former winners lining up in Sagan and Terpstra.

Ok I've totally mis-understood the GVA situation - he's done a fair few race days through Aug & Sept.
  • m.r.m. said:

Neither looked that good at the worlds and only WvA has ridden the race before (best 13th), so whilst they are usually the strongest riders and favourites, I'm not sure they are such dead certs this time. That said, none of the other riders have much form either.

If it rains it could be one of those "from nowhere" wins of Mads Pedersen. Might be an amazing race just based off everyone being somewhat off and there not being any real favourite. Well either that or my wishful thinking.
    Mads P is a decent outside chance. He was bitterly disappointed to get crashed out of the World's (two crashes, both caused by other riders - though avoiding those situations is also a skill). And yeah, he likes it hard and wet.
    Trek have a couple of very strong cards with Stuyven lining up as well. Could he do a unique MSR and PR double (in that they are same season but 7 months apart nearly).

Same would apply to Asgreen in terms of Flanders / PR (6 months apart).
  • m.r.m. said:

I remember Kelly talking about whether he liked riding in the rain. He said he didn't like it, just disliked it less than everyone else.

m.r.m. said:

Trek have a couple of very strong cards with Stuyven lining up as well. Could he do a unique MSR and PR double (in that they are same season but 7 months apart nearly).
    Same would apply to Asgreen in terms of Flanders / PR (6 months apart).
    Regarding wet conditions, I can see Senechal doing well.
    He has said before that he likes the rain, and he also comes from Cambrai, so within 10-20 kms of the first 10 cobble-stretches, therefore likely knows those stretches.

Of ex-crossers, I think Stybar a very good bet, and G. Vermeersch the best outsider bet.

After his severe disappointment at the WCs, I would also expect Stuyven to try and get some compensation by giving it a good go.

• Stybar a chance? Top ten in 6 out of the last 7 editions, and was there (ish) with WvA and MVDP last weekend.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

m.r.m. said:

I'm really trying not to go into immature school boy mode (but have obviously failed)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Primoz Roglic has won the Vuelta 3 times since the last Paris Roubaix. That's how long it's been

I am very excited for PR, obviously, but it doesn't feel right in October, I have to say.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2021

m.r.m. said:

Finished 51st last time it was run, 71st the year before.
  • m.r.m. said:

He's won the World Championships and moved into real contender status since then though

I don't think we can read much from past performances, as it's a different time of the year and 2 and a half years since it was last run.

I don't care what time of the year it is, I get SO excited for it. I used to live in Lens though, so it's kind of like my local French race
  • Any thoughts on the woman's first PR?
  • Any thoughts on the woman's first PR?

As I suggested upthread it's a bit short (well under half the men's race distance). And they really should be doing the Arenberg.

Vos is everyone's emotional favourite to win it seems. Ellen Van Dijk has the TT form.
  • The last time Paris Roubaix took place, Alejandro Valverde was only 38
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2021

The last time Paris Roubaix took place, Alejandro Valverde was only 38

And the previous 3 GT winners were Froome, Thomas and Yates.

There have been 9 GTs since then - Slovenia have won 5 of them and Bernal 2.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    What times this likely to finish? I'm going to see Bond at 4.45 I think... I think the cinema is like 10 mins from the Rapha cafe so I may plan to drag my wife there first.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342

What times this likely to finish? I'm going to see Bond at 4.45 I think... I think the cinema is like 10 mins from the Rapha cafe so I may plan to drag my wife there first.

Perfect day!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Forecast now showing the wettest so far this week for both races
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    edited October 2021
    25 riders who rode in the last Paris Roubaix have since retired (this doesn't include riders like Michal Golas who will ride his last race as a pro on Sunday)

Stijn Vandenbergh
    Maarten Wynants
    Matti Breschel
    Bernie Eisel
    Jimmy Turgis
    Lars Boom
    Roy Curvers
    Ian Stannard
    Benoit Jarrier
    Lars Bak
    Alexandre Pichot
    Kris Boekmans
    Pim Ligthart
    Nicolas Maes
    Zhandos Bizhigitov
    Justin Timmermans
    Yohann Gene
    Brian van Goethem
    Daniele Bennati
    Jurgen Roelandts
    Sjoerd van Ginneken
    Brice Feillu
    Jay Robert Thomson
    Taylor Phinney
    Jesper Asselman
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,934
    edited October 2021
    Wonder which the Women would prefer: The 117km actual race or the 160K that the BBC seem to think they are doing....
  • 117km does seem a bit token given 160km for the worlds, but it's a start, I suppose.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

Vos is everyone's emotional favourite to win it seems. Ellen Van Dijk has the TT form.

Someone who can handle their bike in wet conditions in any case.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694

25 riders who rode in the last Paris Roubaix have since retired (this doesn't include riders like Michal Golas who will ride his last race as a pro on Sunday)

Stijn Vandenbergh
    Maarten Wynants
    Matti Breschel
    Bernie Eisel
    Jimmy Turgis
    Lars Boom
    Roy Curvers
    Ian Stannard
    Benoit Jarrier
    Lars Bak
    Alexandre Pichot
    Kris Boekmans
    Pim Ligthart
    Nicolas Maes
    Zhandos Bizhigitov
    Justin Timmermans
    Yohann Gene
    Brian van Goethem
    Daniele Bennati
    Jurgen Roelandts
    Sjoerd van Ginneken
    Brice Feillu
    Jay Robert Thomson
    Taylor Phinney
    Jesper Asselman

Mitch Docker rides his last pro race on Sunday as well, though EF team not yet confirmed.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    His career proved to be an excellent springboard into podcasting...

:P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329

m.r.m. said:

He's won the World Championships and moved into real contender status since then though

I don't think we can read much from past performances, as it's a different time of the year and 2 and a half years since it was last run.

I don't care what time of the year it is, I get SO excited for it. I used to live in Lens though, so it's kind of like my local French race
    He was still a kid last time it was run, really, and riding for others. Possibly worth noting he won the Jnr edition, though that was back when the Viking kids won it three times in a row...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • In the Junior race that Mads won, Tao GH came 3rd

Not sure what that says about the Junior version. Only Sagan and Stannard have been on the podium of the Junior version and the podium of the Senior version
  • rick_chasey

In the Junior race that Mads won, Tao GH came 3rd

Not sure what that says about the Junior version. Only Sagan and Stannard have been on the podium of the Junior version and the podium of the Senior version

Basically means you've got a big engine, not sure it translates to the senior race.

The other crosser who usually does well at PR is Stybar, who presumably will also do well if it's wet.
  • Good news and bad news

Bad news is the current weather forecast has the rain stopping around midday

The good news is this is because it will be blown away by the 20km/h wind.

Although even if it rains in the morning the cobbles will be wet, so it's not such bad news
  • rick_chasey

Good news and bad news

Bad news is the current weather forecast has the rain stopping around midday

The good news is this is because it will be blown away by the 20km/h wind.

Although even if it rains in the morning the cobbles will be wet, so it's not such bad news

Wind dries stuff out so that is a shame.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867

Any thoughts on the woman's first PR?

Really interested to watch this race .... Long time coming ....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

Any thoughts on the woman's first PR?

Really interested to watch this race ....
    #metoo
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Does anyone have a startlist with numbers? I like to be able to identify riders going out the back