Paris Roubaix 2021 pre race chat

Comments

• andyp said:

gsk82 said:

My prediction: a lot of people won't be as happy as they expected about a wet race once the crashes start.

I think this is spot on. People will enjoy it up until the point one of their favoured riders crashes out.
    So nobody enjoyed watching Gent Wevelgem when Geraint got blown into the ditch or Stannard’s KBK?

I think your spot on is a tad off.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,613
    Neither looked that good at the worlds and only WvA has ridden the race before (best 13th), so whilst they are usually the strongest riders and favourites, I'm not sure they are such dead certs this time. That said, none of the other riders have much form either.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    m.r.m. said:

I'm aware of the betting odds. I'm speaking of this forum and the lukewarm sentiment he is getting in some of the media. Is probably par for the course when you are the odds on favourite to win the WC RR and come up rather short in terms of placings.

I posted the link out of general interest rather than to make a point.

Struggling to see Greipel as third favourite TBH!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,341
    mrb123 said:

Struggling to see Greipel as third favourite TBH!

That is true. Ludicrous tbh.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,341

Neither looked that good at the worlds and only WvA has ridden the race before (best 13th), so whilst they are usually the strongest riders and favourites, I'm not sure they are such dead certs this time. That said, none of the other riders have much form either.

If it rains it could be one of those "from nowhere" wins of Mads Pedersen. Might be an amazing race just based off everyone being somewhat off and there not being any real favourite. Well either that or my wishful thinking.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    m.r.m. said:

If it rains it could be one of those "from nowhere" wins of Mads Pedersen. Might be an amazing race just based off everyone being somewhat off and there not being any real favourite. Well either that or my wishful thinking.
    Pederson looked good today. Got in the front group and when it was caught with 5k to go managed 5th (I think) in the sprint.
  • Is the rain or wind more likely to affect the race?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534

Much form at the moment or much form in the race? Colbrelli has been in superb form but is another P-R virgin then there's Mohoric and maybe Trentin but very little experience / form amongst them in P-R.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Much form at the moment or much form in the race? Colbrelli has been in superb form but is another P-R virgin then there's Mohoric and maybe Trentin but very little experience / form amongst them in P-R.
    Yes, I meant the combination of experience and form.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,683
    Wouldn’t count out Sagan
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,845
    edited September 2021
    politt
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,845
    Oddly under powered starting list
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey

Oddly under powered starting list

Same problem Lombardi suffers from. Too many tired riders at this point.
  • I can't see MVDP doing well if his back is still playing up.

PR puts a lot of strain on the back when making those seated efforts, especially if it's wet.

WVA always does better than MVDP in wet cyclo-cross races anyway, where seated efforts trump acceleration.

Can see it being a similar race to 2014 or 15, where there's no outstanding favourite and it will be whoever picks the right move on the day
  • rick_chasey

I can't see MVDP doing well if his back is still playing up.

PR puts a lot of strain on the back when making those seated efforts, especially if it's wet.

WVA always does better than MVDP in wet cyclo-cross races anyway, where seated efforts trump acceleration.

Can see it being a similar race to 2014 or 15, where there's no outstanding favourite and it will be whoever picks the right move on the day

If it's wet, surely it's just a selection of who's the strongest, rather than a tactical move?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819

I can't see MVDP doing well if his back is still playing up.

If it's wet, surely it's just a selection of who's the strongest, rather than a tactical move?
    If wet is it not more a case of skill not strength that comes to the fore - no idea if MVDP or WvA hold the upper hand here, Sagan a rider that could benefit maybe? Skill / tactics / luck more important.
  • The last 2 wet editions Museeuw won with strength in 2002 but Nuyens won a la Terpstra in 2001
  • TheBigBean
    There was the wet stage in the tour where Lars Boom and Sep Vanmarcke destroyed the field. Boom then said that every year he hopes for a wet P-R.
  • Nibali did well that day, which was more down to his bike handling skills rather than strength
  • Probably too far out for the forecast to be nailed on but the rain seems to be predicted late Saturday up til about mid-day on Sunday.

The wind on Sunday doesn't look too bad but there are high winds Saturday night into Sunday morning. If the overnight conditions push 6-8 hours into Sunday that could be interesting.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Primoz Roglic has won the Vuelta 3 times since the last Paris Roubaix. That's how long it's been
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    Feels like it could be quite an open race, and maybe an unexpected winner.

Surprised JA is not riding, presume he has not won it before?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Is Teisj Benoot riding? He seems to go quite well in rotten weather doesn't he? Seemed to be going ok last weekend albeit on domestique duties.

Who knows man. The favourites remain the favourites but such a crashy race I don't feel I could bet on anyone winning it if it's wet.

Should say I'm still fairly new to cycling compared to some on here and I am buzzed for potentially my first wet proper Roubaix. 3 days camaaaaahhnn!!
  • Is Teisj Benoot riding? He seems to go quite well in rotten weather doesn't he? !

Ok no, he's not.

• politt

That is a good shout. Don't know if can do it on a wet afternoon in October tho.

Outsider but tonnes of experience and reasonable recent form - Kristoff......
  • Nibali did well that day, which was more down to his bike handling skills rather than strength

It wasn't 260km either.

Don't think you can ever compare a cobbled stage with PR 1 day. Everyone's objectives and roles are different.
  • daniel_b said:

Feels like it could be quite an open race, and maybe an unexpected winner.

Surprised JA is not riding, presume he has not won it before?

You'd imagine he'd be looking more towards Lombadia the following week.
  • PCS showing GVA in the Ag2R team - thought he'd binned the season off?

2 former winners lining up for Lotto.

Other former winners lining up in Sagan and Terpstra.
  • TheBigBean

Nibali did well that day, which was more down to his bike handling skills rather than strength

It wasn't 260km either.

Don't think you can ever compare a cobbled stage with PR 1 day. Everyone's objectives and roles are different.
    This is the results, some of the names have done well in P-R as well, some have never tried. I just found it interesting that Boom specifically said how much he wants a wet P-R, because he believed he would win it. Also, the only person that could stay with him was Vanmarcke who is probably the best cobbles rider.

1. Lars Boom (Ned) Belkin in 3-18-35

2. Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana at 19 secs

3. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana at 19 secs

4. Peter Sagan (Svk) Cannondale at 1-01

5. Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Trek Factory Racing at 1-01

6. Jens Keukeleire (Bel) Orica-GreenEdge at 1-01

7. Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at 1-07

8. Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Astana at 1-09

9. Matteo Trentin (Ita) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at 1-21
  • m.r.m. said:

Mads P is a decent outside chance. He was bitterly disappointed to get crashed out of the World's (two crashes, both caused by other riders - though avoiding those situations is also a skill). And yeah, he likes it hard and wet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format