The Tokyo 2020/1 Olympics Thread *spoilers* (not the road race cycling)

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Always makes me feel like the people who want to have this debate somehow have an undefined "British enough" litmus test that they apply.

Personally, to avoid unintended consequences of determining how British someone is by feel, or the how much are you like me test, I would be in favour or a set of objective rules accepted across the world.

Oh, wait...

My argument has been that in the marathon for example, Kenya should have more places so that flags of convenience are less of a thing. This could be at the expense of other sports being dropped as the IOC are keen to manage athlete numbers.

As it is mainly me discussing this from an anti perspective, it doesn’t really fit your portrayal of my argument.

I would rather the best marathon runners from East African nations compete under their own flags at the expense of second rate football and tennis tournaments.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited August 2021
    morstar said:

Always makes me feel like the people who want to have this debate somehow have an undefined "British enough" litmus test that they apply.

Personally, to avoid unintended consequences of determining how British someone is by feel, or the how much are you like me test, I would be in favour or a set of objective rules accepted across the world.

Oh, wait...

My argument has been that in the marathon for example, Kenya should have more places so that flags of convenience are less of a thing. This could be at the expense of other sports being dropped as the IOC are keen to manage athlete numbers.

As it is mainly me discussing this from an anti perspective, it doesn’t really fit your portrayal of my argument.

I would rather the best marathon runners from East African nations compete under their own flags at the expense of second rate football and tennis tournaments.
    It’s quite arrogant to presume you know what nationality the athletes really want to compete under.

I am reminded of the US’ most preeminent Russian foreign affairs expert - has worked under 3 different administrations to advise the US on Putin et al.

She’s unmistakably from The North in the UK and speaks with a thick Northern accent. Testified against Trump.

Made it quite clear she had rejected Britain where she felt her regional accent and class would have held her back. For her, “we” and “us” is America who have given her the opportunity she would never have in the UK and the UK is very much “you” and “they”.

It’s not up to you to define what nationality someone makes you feel they are.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    You keepentioning something that happened 40 years ago.

It isn't that widespread a problem. There are not many world class athletes mercenary enough to become Bahraini in order to compete.

It seems to be most common in cricket and football, to be honest.
  • morstar

morstar said:

Oh, wait...

It’s quite arrogant to presume you know what nationality the athletes really want to compete under.
    Ahh FFS, you’re being deliberately obtuse now.

No I don’t know that and I haven’t called out any individual athlete. In the presence of fierce competition for places, people will explore any and all avenues to compete. See doping for example.

I’m going out on my bike.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,272
    edited August 2021
    It's also not as easy as it used to be, once you have competed in a regional or world event for your country to then change nationality and go to the Olympics for a new country.

2. A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant
    IF, and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have passed since the competitor last represented his former country. This period may
    be reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs and IF concerned, by
    the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.

Would take a lot of money to make a world beating athlete give up on competing internationally for 3 years and then you need faith that they will come back as a world beating athlete.

Sports where it's not all about the olympics/worlds/continental champs, probably easier.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    For Pyeongchang, Korea naturalised 16 athletes in order to boost its medal hopes. It is not uncommon.
  • It's also not as easy as it used to be, once you have competed in a regional or world event for your country to then change nationality and go to the Olympics for a new country.

2. A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant
    IF, and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have passed since the competitor last represented his former country. This period may
    be reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs and IF concerned, by
    the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.

Would take a lot of money to make a world beating athlete give up on competing internationally for 3 years and then you need faith that they will come back as a world beating athlete.

Sports where it's not all about the olympics/worlds/continental champs, probably easier.
    lol - I wonder why they chose three years?

Representing more than one country is a complete nonsense
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited August 2021
    morstar said:

morstar said:

Oh, wait...

No I don’t know that and I haven’t called out any individual athlete. In the presence of fierce competition for places, people will explore any and all avenues to compete. See doping for example.

I am going to assume you do not have international heritage?

Nationality and identity can be and often is fluid!

• kingstongraham

It's also not as easy as it used to be, once you have competed in a regional or world event for your country to then change nationality and go to the Olympics for a new country.

What do you think the Belarus sprinter should do next?
  • TheBigBean

Typically they are athletes not good enough to represent their own country, so see it as a good way to go the Olympics and continue a career.
  • TheBigBean

morstar said:

morstar said:

Oh, wait...

You are completely missing his point.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I would certainly feel a strong affinity for any country willing to give me 500k a year to run under their flag.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect

morstar said:

morstar said:

Oh, wait...

You are completely missing his. This is a baby/bath water issue.
  • kingstongraham

I would certainly feel a strong affinity for any country willing to give me 500k a year to run under their flag.

Singapore is where you want to be, but very performance driven. £500k for winning a gold medal at the Olympics.
  • TheBigBean

morstar said:

morstar said:

Oh, wait...

Not all, it's why I can tell he is missing morstar's point of view.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2021

Typically they are athletes not good enough to represent their own country, so see it as a good way to go the Olympics and continue a career.
    Plenty opportunities to win European medals as the 5th best in lots of countries outside Europe. And get paid for training, and get medical support.
  • First.Aspect

morstar said:

morstar said:

Oh, wait...

Not all, it's why I can tell he is missing morstar's point of view.
    Do you always assume people who don't agree are missing the point?

The "problem" as such is pretty easy to understand, but Morstar doesn't have a solution that isn't rather worse than the problem, as far as I can tell at least.
  • TheBigBean

Plenty opportunities to win European medals as the 5th best in lots of countries outside Europe. And get paid for training, and get medical support.
    You've lost me there.
  • It's also not as easy as it used to be, once you have competed in a regional or world event for your country to then change nationality and go to the Olympics for a new country.

What do you think the Belarus sprinter should do next?
    I hope they are more aware of the biggest problems in their life than you.

You've lost me there.
    I believe he means that if the 5th best Kenyan distance runners became European they would clean up in European competitions
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    Great Britain - who sent more female athletes than male for the first time - finished the Games with Lauren Price's boxing gold and Laura Kenny as flagbearer. But they were the only country in the top 10 for women's events in Tokyo whose female competitors have won less than 30% of their country's gold medals.

All male team/trans for Paris 2024 on the cards.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    morstar said:

Wtf is a true flag

Someone competing for the nation they actually consider home rather than one that will gain them Olympic entry.

Don’t confuse this with anti-immigration. This is about sporting flags of convenience.

e.g. Zola Budd could in no way be considered British other than legally. Her heart, soul and residence was South African.

I’d rather she could compete as a South African than a fake Brit. I am pretty sure she felt the same. For clarity, her motivation was to get round a SA sporting embargo rather than athlete numbers.
    While it may well have been a way around an embargo, changing your nationality is hardly a trivial thing. Surely 'legally' is the only way that counts anyway. Nationality is a legal designation, not something you 'feel'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Remember Zola Budd?

Sky Brown is a far more recent example
    British father so as British as Brad, or Chris, or....
    Wiggins grew up in Kilburn. Born in Belgium with an Australian father.
    Froome is Kenyan. Could have competed for Kenya.
    Has Sky Brown ever set foot in the UK? I don't know. Do you?
    I don't get the objection.
    You either agree with the rules for everyone, or object to the rules for everyone.

To be fair, I don’t really think it is an IOC or sport governing bodies issue.*

If somebody has a legal nationality, that is all the IOC can go by.

I guess the issue is more about the athletes doing it solely for Olympic ambition and the adoptive nations encouraging it.

When somebody changes nationality solely for sporting reasons, it is hardly in the spirit of the competition.

*Other than where athlete number limitations overly restrict participation of very strong nations.
    How is that any different from getting the bods to develop an even more aerodynamic bike. Or for that matter, my colleagues applying for British citizenship so they just have less hassle with their everyday lives.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

Wtf is a true flag

Someone competing for the nation they actually consider home rather than one that will gain them Olympic entry.

Don’t confuse this with anti-immigration. This is about sporting flags of convenience.

e.g. Zola Budd could in no way be considered British other than legally. Her heart, soul and residence was South African.

I’d rather she could compete as a South African than a fake Brit. I am pretty sure she felt the same. For clarity, her motivation was to get round a SA sporting embargo rather than athlete numbers.
    While it may well have been a way around an embargo, changing your nationality is hardly a trivial thing. Surely 'legally' is the only way that counts anyway. Nationality is a legal designation, not something you 'feel'.
    I'm not sure that in every case the person naturalises for the country. For example, Elizabeth Swaney tried to compete for Venezuela and then switched to Hungary which is where her grandparents were born. I don't think she actually legally became Hungarian, because she already met the criteria. In her case, she was after a country that would allow her to go to the Olympics. She's not a very good skier.

In contrast, someone like Alexander Gamelin had no connection whatsoever with Korea beyond finding a US born dance partner with a Korean background. As a result, he needed to naturalise as Korean in order to compete for them. He did show a lot of passion for the country, but unfortunately split up with his partner shortly afterwards. Not sure whether her new partner will become Korean now.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

Singapore is where you want to be, but very performance driven. £500k for winning a gold medal at the Olympics.

Ok I can see a flaw in my plan.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    edited August 2021

Do you always assume people who don't agree are missing the point?

Not at all. It is certainly true that some posters more regularly miss the point than others though. For example, I remember you implicitly arguing that an elephant was just over twice the size of an ant.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593

Oh, wait...

I think you're missing the original point i.e. that richer nations may try to entice talent from poorer nations simply as a way to increase their medal haul. I would suggest this already happens in some sports (rugby being an obvious example for me). It's more or less the opposite of the point that you seem concerned about. No-one is suggesting that someone who is a citizen of a country shouldn't represent that country at the Olympics, merely that we shouldn't get to a position where people are getting citizenship simply to represent that country in sport.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593

What is a much more pressing issue was the coverage which was the worst I’ve seen since I can remember following it properly which is Greece 2004.

I get the licensing issues screwed the bbc but beyond that what they did have they made a pig’s ear out of. Far too much talking about the sport over showing it.

Some of it can be explained away with the hosts not being there - hard to add colour when you’re not in the thick of it. But then why bother? Stick to the sport and the commentators who are there!

It was utterly shite. I was away for pretty much the whole thing so only had access to BBC coverage and I'm not sure if the ES / Discovery coverage was any better. One thing I found really annoying was watching things and not knowing if it was live or not, as someone else on here said surely they could have provided a 'live' caption for the live coverage. I watched a lot but it felt like it was the same events 4 or 5 times in a day with very little in the way of highlights of any other action. From a UK perspective the time zone really didn't help but I know that there will be issues for some part of the world wherever it is held. Australia tends to work out better as at least you can catch some live sport late at night if you're prepared to stay up for a bit, it felt like a lot of the live action was happening in the early hours.

In addition, accepting that the organisers had some really difficult issues to overcome due to the pandemic, there were a few things that felt badly organised too. The boat incident in the triathlon, having to rearrange the time and location of the football final as it had been originally arranged when temperatures were at their worst and the 'external' events such as the triathlon didn't really showcase the city at its best (at least I assume they weren't the best parts of the city they could show).
  • morstar
    Pross said:

Oh, wait...

I think you're missing the original point i.e. that richer nations may try to entice talent from poorer nations simply as a way to increase their medal haul. I would suggest this already happens in some sports (rugby being an obvious example for me). It's more or less the opposite of the point that you seem concerned about. No-one is suggesting that someone who is a citizen of a country shouldn't represent that country at the Olympics, merely that we shouldn't get to a position where people are getting citizenship simply to represent that country in sport.
    Thank you. You have summarised my position better than I appear to have done.

I haven’t proposed any solutions or have any expectations this will stop.
    I was simply discussing the topic on a discussion forum and can’t even recall what triggered the discussion.

It’s a behaviour I don’t consider to be in the spirit of sport and that is all.
    I can legitimately hold opinions that I know will no have no impact on the world.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Oh, wait...

It isn't the opposite of the point, its the inevitable consequence of it. We all know it happens, but there are objective rules that govern the extent to which it happens. For every "but Zola Budd" there are a number of legitimate examples. Such as, I don't know, Brad Wiggins, Andrew Strauss, John Barnes or Joe Bugner.